PDA

View Full Version : Salmon recipes?

drew
08-13-2006, 12:02 PM
OK, I have about 8lbs of Steelhead in my freezer and really need some ideas on how to prepare it. All I have is an electric oven/range. Can not have any open flames in the apt. So how do y'all prepare your salmon?

Unreal
08-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Wrap in foil with a slice of lemon, some dill, fresh cracked pepper and any other spice you like. Maybe alittle soy sauce drizzled on top. If you can handle the cals, drizzle with olive oil or put a pat of butter on top. Bake until done.

gator
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I've been wondering the same thing too. Is the purpose of tin foil just to keep all the moisture inside?

Also how long normally does it take to make fish this way?

Unreal
08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Yah, to keep the moisture and flavor in. It basically steams in the foil pack.

I would have to pull out a book and check, but I depending on the size of the fish, 30 minutes or so at 350.

gator
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Sweet thanks, i'm going back up to college in a week so i'm trying to get information on how to cook more stuff now that i have a kitchen.

Oh do you marinate fish like you would chicken? I dont hear of many people marinating fish but just thought i'd ask.

drew
08-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Wrap in foil with a slice of lemon, some dill, fresh cracked pepper and any other spice you like. Maybe alittle soy sauce drizzled on top. If you can handle the cals, drizzle with olive oil or put a pat of butter on top. Bake until done.
Heh, I can afford the cals. :evillaugh

Thanks.

Clifford Gillmore
08-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Salmon Baked With Brazilian Rub

* 4 salmon fillets, 5 to 6 oz each
* 1/2 large orange, zest and juice only
* 1/2 large lemon -- juice only
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 large garlic clove -- minced
* 2 tablespoons butter -- melted

In a shallow dish large enough to hold the salmon, combine the juices salt and pepper. Add the salmon, turning to coat with the marinade. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, turning the fillets once.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil and grease with a little of the melted butter.
In a small dish, combine the orange zest, brown sugar, chili powder and minced garlic. Rub the marinated salmon with the brown sugar mixture. Place in the pan and drizzle with the remaining melted butter.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 327 calories, 10 gm carbohydrates, 107 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 33 gm protein, 17 gm fat, 5 gm saturated fat

I'll cook for you one day skinny, and I WILL KILL YOU!

manowar669
08-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Salt and pepper both sides. Pan-fry in a little olive oil (or Pam). Mix equal parts lite mayo and dijon mustard, a little splenda and cracked pepper. Smear this mixture on the salmon. If you want, put the salmon on toasted bread of your choice.

PS. A salmon and PB sandwich is tasty, too.

shootermcgavin7
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Blackened salmon is my favorite:

2 tablespoons ground paprika
1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 salmon fillets, skin and bones removed
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, mix paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, salt, white pepper, black pepper, thyme, basil and oregano.
Brush salmon fillets on both sides with 1/4 cup butter, and sprinkle evenly with the cayenne pepper mixture. Drizzle one side of each fillet with 1/2 remaining butter.
In a large, heavy skillet over high heat, cook salmon, butter side down, until blackened, 2 to 5 minutes. Turn fillets, drizzle with remaining butter, and continue cooking until blackened and fish is easily flaked with a fork.

VikingWarlord
08-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Sweet thanks, i'm going back up to college in a week so i'm trying to get information on how to cook more stuff now that i have a kitchen.

Oh do you marinate fish like you would chicken? I dont hear of many people marinating fish but just thought i'd ask.

There's no need to marinate fish. There's really no need to marinate good quality meat at all.

I like fish (any kind, really) just sauteed in a little olive oil with some garlic, salt, and pepper. Just cook it on medium heat about 4 minutes per side or until it flakes with a fork. After it's done, squeeze some lemon juice on it and let it stand for about 2 minutes.

I've got some tilapia thawing now that I'm going to do tomorrow night.

gator
08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
When you sautee you have to use oil right? I'm anal about my diet, maybe a little too anal, when you add oil do you count that in your macronutrients, does most of it just dissolve and evaporate in the pan? I know olive oil is a good fat source but you have to pour quite a bit when using it for cooking.

DumbellDude
08-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Count the olive oil in your macros/cals - it will not evaporate. You can use a non-stick pan, this way you won't have to use too much oil. Olive oil is great. Like all oils, you shouldn't heat it too high - use a medium cooking temp.

Clifford Gillmore
08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
olive oil is a good fat source but you have to pour quite a bit when using it for cooking.

Bullsh*t. I use minimal amounts when cooking, I have more in a shake than I do in a weeks worth of cooking.

VikingWarlord
08-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Bullsh*t. I use minimal amounts when cooking, I have more in a shake than I do in a weeks worth of cooking.

Definitely. I use about a tablespoon of oil to do 4 filets and about half of that gets left in the pan. It doesn't take much at all.

SpecialK
08-19-2006, 05:31 PM
What I usually use is Chef Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning. Apply it to the salmon before grilling it. I like to add a little bit of lemon juice after it's done grilling.

Simple and tastes great!