PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian diet - If I didn't believe in it, I would quit

vikinghelmet
01-31-2002, 06:58 PM
I am about 3 weeks into a program and if I see whey protein again...well, I'm just
not sure. I'm using a 40/40/20 split (carbs, protein, fat) and consuming between
2,000 and 2,500 calories. I am 24, 175 lbs and am looking for fat loss and muscle
gain.

My diet on a typical day looks like this:
Post-workout meal @ 9:30
24 oz. skim milk
4 scoops of whey
an apple

12:30
potato
6 oz tofu
some spinach

3:30
another 24oz of skim milk
flax seed oil
Whey protein

6:00
more whey protein! 4 scoops
pasta drizzled with a bit of olive oil 8 oz
green beans

7:30
16 oz skim milk
2 scoops of whey with a little flax seed oil

I work out with weights 4 days a week, and do aerobics 2 times.

HELP! I need some variety here, keeping in mind I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) Any
suggestions with the diet or replacement proteins would be great. Please, no more
whey.

David
01-31-2002, 07:17 PM
I heard that vegetarians have a lot of gas because of the food they eat, or rather not eat...is that true? Do you have a lot of gas?

vikinghelmet
01-31-2002, 07:54 PM
I've been a vegetarian for 3 and 1/2 years and at the beginning I did have
some, ahem, gastric distress.

I'm fine now, thanks

Taras
01-31-2002, 08:24 PM
I see lots of lacto in your diet but no ovo. You could use Egg Beaters if cholesterol is a concern, or just lots of whites and only a few yolks. You could make omelets, scrambled eggs, or all kinds of custard type things. You could substitute casein (cottage cheese) for some of the whey. Try to eat more fruits and vegetables. Other suggestions -- oatmeal, ground-up flax seeds instead of flaxseed oil, peanut butter, hummus, dried beans or lentils.

Shocker
01-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Nuts, seeds and red beans

Davor
01-31-2002, 08:48 PM
goddamn thats alot of whey

vikinghelmet
01-31-2002, 09:06 PM
My big concern with hummous, beans, and peanut butter is the fat content.
Is it just a matter of tweaking the protein amount relative to the fat intake?

hemants
02-01-2002, 07:26 AM
One of the disadvantages of whey is that it's almost too easy to get a lot of protein at once.

If you're eating 6 times a day you only need about 25-40g of protein per meal.

See if you can find fat-free cheese slices and veggie deli slices. Two slices and a glass of skim milk is 20g of protein and an easy snack in between meals.

Finally, chick peas, lentils, kidney beans are all about 20% protein by calories and also high in fibre and relatively low in fat.

Don't be afraid of fat though, just make sure that your intake is mostly unsaturated fat.

A search of the archives will show that most folks here consume at least 20% of their calories in the form of fat, even when cutting.

P.S. I'm lacto-ovo veggie as well and have whey only once in the morning and once before bed.

vikinghelmet
02-01-2002, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the tips, Hemants. They are really helpful.
Do you have your diet
posted?
I'd be curious to see what someone who is lacto-ovo
is doing

hemants
02-01-2002, 07:49 AM
I don't eat the same every day but here's a representative day

Breakfast 1 7:15 am

Shake:

1 pear
2 scoops whey
2 cups skim milk
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

53/68/7 (protein/carb/fat)

Breakfast 2 9:15am

4 scoops oatmeal (I keep 1 min stuff at my desk with an old whey scoop)
1 teasp honey
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 cup skim milk

20/67/13

Lunch : 12:00

1/2 cup rice
1 cup mixed veg
4 cups soy milk (sipped throughout the afternoon)
1 tbsp olive oil

49/86/33

Afternoon : 3:00

Latte
2 scoops oatmeal

16/64/5

After work 6pm

2 slices (either fat free cheese or veggie bacon)
1 cup skim milk

20/13/1

Dinner 7:00

1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup kidney beans
1 tbsp olive oil

18/63/15

Before sleep : 9:30pm

2 scoops whey
1 tbsp flax oil
1 cup skim milk

42/20/15

Daily total :
200g protein (30% of calories)
317g carb (45% of calories)
82g fat (25% of calories)

I tweak it depending on whether it's a workout day or whether I'm bulking or cutting but you get the idea.

Trunks
01-25-2003, 03:20 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and i gained 13 pounds over 3 months when i first began.

Let me clear something else up. A strict vegetarian eats dairy and eggs, but not animal bi-products like gelatine and rennet. A vegan does not eat meat, eggs or dairy.

GuitarPlayer
01-27-2003, 09:56 AM
dude beans have like no fat in them. look at the nutritional information for lima beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. they are a great source of protein. really the only bean that has a lot of fat is the soybean, but it is good fat and the protein content is crazy. as a vegan, trust me, beans and lentils are your best friends.

here is what i do. i look at the grams of protein per 100 calories ratio. if there is 5g or more per 100 calories, i consider it fit to eat, more or less. try this method. works for me.

Berserker
01-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Cottage cheese is a good source of protein. With eating beans don't you need to eat another source to get the right comibinations aminos? I don't even consider incomplete protein as part of my intake.

GoldenBoy
01-27-2003, 08:50 PM
your vegetarian that consumes eggs and milk (dairy products)...

you can add eggs, soy products, and anything else that doesnt contain animal proteins...

check...
http://www.vegan.com/
http://www.vegan.org/
http://www.veganoutreach.org/
http://peta.org/

i used to be vegan (only for food) i stopped once i got married as it was hard to convert the misses and even harder on the bills to provide two different menus... i know those websites are filled with Anti-Meat/Meat Eater Hate spam, but they also provide alot of good meat alternative foods and also alot of recipe sites... im going to try and find you some links to some online vegetarian forums with recipe lists.. try a search on Google... also try Google Groups.

good luck!

hemants
01-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Beans (and most other legumes for that matter) are low in methionine but methionine is abundant in rice, bread, milk and eggs.

Plus you don't have to eat every amino acid at every meal.