PDA

View Full Version : Steele's first day of weights + journal

Steele
08-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Sup, just finished my first weights lifting session. Taken straight from WBB1, bar the fact that i have no bench yet so i'm improvising with alternative exercises that don't require one =) Nutrition info to follow.

Here's how it went, along with my views on certain parts of it -

5-6 minutes of stretching =)

Floor Bench Press, 2 x 8

Went all the way with 8, although my form was suffering halfway through rep 6 on the second set. Was kinda cool, added some weight for second set because it was a bit lighter than i wanted. Other than that, cool.

Bench Dips, 2 x 8

These absolutely killed me, basically. After the fourth rep of the first set my body was spazzing out and my form went gay. Kinda glad to finish the first set, just collapsed onto the floor and died for 30 seconds. When it came to the second set, i did 4 and then rested for 15 seconds, did another 2, rested 15 then another 1, rested another 15 and got halfway through the rep before my muscles gave out. I guess it was muscle failure, but my form absolutely sucked. Anyone got some tips on this?

Low Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 x 8

These went ok, the weight was only like 7.5kilos each dumbell though :clap: First set went fine, halfway through the second set my left arm was lagging behind the first, and my form suffered because of it. Muscles were burning through, so i guess that's good :D

Chin Ups - 1 x 2

After the first exercises my muscles just wouldn't answer and i decided to give them a miss incase i caused myself injury. I will return to the bar in about an hour and attempt them then, not as good as working your back all in one go but at least i will have done them.

Deadlifts - 2 x 8

Ow! These went ok, but i noticed a few things about my form. My legs were doing some work, when actually they are supposed to remain stationary throughout? Also at the end of the more strenuous reps, I subconsciously went to rest the bar against my hips. Realised this was not a good thing, and stopped it. Didn't burn as much i thought they would, this would be down to form. Will pay extra attention to these next time =)

Barbell Rows - 2 x 8

I tried one with weights and decided that I'd probably die of apoplexy halfway through the second. So i took them off and worked with only the bar. They still really hurt =) Managed 7 in the first set, gave it a few seconds then did the last one. Thirty seconds later, Managed another 3, then with short breaks did another 2/1 and another 1. Halfway through the 8th reached muscle failure.

Shrugs - 1 x 10

Added a small amount of weight, don't think it was enough. Will add more next time.

Feelings - Arms are killing, as are my shoulders. Feel guilty about the chin ups, just couldn't bring myself to do them. Because i'm working out on my own at home, have to pay extra attention to form because there's no one else to do it. It went good, and i won't say that the initial pain wasn't discomforting. The rush you get after though is amazing, and well worth it =) Was in such a hurry to write this forgot to stretch after, so just did 2-3 mins of that, will do a bit more and remember to next time.

Edit: Workout minus warmup + cooldown took about 35 mins, think this is about right.

-Steele

Steele
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
So nice of people to post encouraging replies :rolleyes:

-Steele

Bob
08-16-2006, 02:40 PM
I would have posted... but I was rolling with laughter from your comments..
I almost forgot what it was like to be a newbie.. until your comments reminded me..:newbie:

Don't worry.. it will get easier and much more fun..:strong:

Keep up the hard work!!
Good luck with your goals..

Steele
08-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Haha thanks a lot :P

-Steele

Steele
08-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Day 2 - Leg day

Squats - 2 x 6-8, 10kilos

These went really well, but raped my legs. Pulled off the first set all cool, second set went 6reps/15secs/1rep/20secs/last rep. Had to wait 15 minutes before moving onto hack squats.

Hack Squats - 2 x 6-8, 5kilos

Should have moved straight onto these, but muscles were absolutely furshed. First set went 6/2, second set 4/2/1/1, with breaks of 15secs.

Good Mornings - 2 x 6-8, 2.5kilos

Very poor form on these, didn't move my legs as i was supposed to - will work on this next time. Pulled them off but not convinced i did them well :/

Straight Legged Deadlifts - 2 x 6-8, 2.5kilos

These went really well. Began to flag @ end of second set, took a break n got back to them. Quite happy with these =)

Standing Calve Raises - 4 x 10, 2.5 kilos

Bit boring, but began to feel the burn halfway through. Completed them without much fuss, will have to add bit more weight next time.

Abs - Weighted Crunches - 3 x 10, 5kilos

These went good, although on occasion the weight slipped down so had to make sure it was propped on my chest properly. Realised later that it's supposed to be 4 sets, so will change this next time.

All in all a good workout, good morning form needs a lot of working on though.

-Steele

RickTheDestroyer
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey bro- I haven't forgotten about you- I've got to go to bed, but I'll try to get in here tomorrow and give your posts an honest read and answer some of your questions.
I hope your rack setup is doing you good- that stuff will last you for a long time, just think about how huge you'll be able to get and still be working out with the same equipment...

Sidior
08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Caught a couple of your posts before, now it seems you are putting that knowledge to use. Goodluck with your goals bro.

RickTheDestroyer
08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Alright bro- everything I have to say is going to be in bold.

Here's how it went, along with my views on certain parts of it -

5-6 minutes of stretching =)
Warm up before you stretch. Look up some stuff on mobility-focused dynamic warmups. Stretching a cold muscle is a good way to get injured.

Floor Bench Press, 2 x 8

Went all the way with 8, although my form was suffering halfway through rep 6 on the second set. Was kinda cool, added some weight for second set because it was a bit lighter than i wanted. Other than that, cool.

Bench Dips, 2 x 8

These absolutely killed me, basically. After the fourth rep of the first set my body was spazzing out and my form went gay. Kinda glad to finish the first set, just collapsed onto the floor and died for 30 seconds. When it came to the second set, i did 4 and then rested for 15 seconds, did another 2, rested 15 then another 1, rested another 15 and got halfway through the rep before my muscles gave out. I guess it was muscle failure, but my form absolutely sucked. Anyone got some tips on this?

Low Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 x 8

These went ok, the weight was only like 7.5kilos each dumbell though :clap: First set went fine, halfway through the second set my left arm was lagging behind the first, and my form suffered because of it. Muscles were burning through, so i guess that's good :D

With all of these you're going to have some minor form issues as you get more accustomed to lifting. Shaky arms and whatnot are just par for the course when you start. I don't have any specific advice on the bench dips because I've never done them.

Chin Ups - 1 x 2

After the first exercises my muscles just wouldn't answer and i decided to give them a miss incase i caused myself injury. I will return to the bar in about an hour and attempt them then, not as good as working your back all in one go but at least i will have done them.

You have basically two options here- either do bodyweight rows (put the bar pretty low in the power rack, and use that to do "chin ups" but with your feet out in front of you on the floor) or do negative chins- jump to the top and lower yourself slowly (actually I usually tell people to try to pull themselves up as they're lowering, not just to slow it down). You could do two sets of 8 for the rows and then cap it with maybe 3-5 negative chins.

Deadlifts - 2 x 8

Ow! These went ok, but i noticed a few things about my form. My legs were doing some work, when actually they are supposed to remain stationary throughout? Also at the end of the more strenuous reps, I subconsciously went to rest the bar against my hips. Realised this was not a good thing, and stopped it. Didn't burn as much i thought they would, this would be down to form. Will pay extra attention to these next time =)

Your legs will work plenty on deadlifts, and should be fully extended at the top of the lift. Some people consider it to be primarily a back exercise, but I'm not one of them. Don't rest the bar on your hips, but if you graze your thighs you're okay. Getting a burn is not the most important thing.

Barbell Rows - 2 x 8

I tried one with weights and decided that I'd probably die of apoplexy halfway through the second. So i took them off and worked with only the bar. They still really hurt =) Managed 7 in the first set, gave it a few seconds then did the last one. Thirty seconds later, Managed another 3, then with short breaks did another 2/1 and another 1. Halfway through the 8th reached muscle failure.

Rest more between your sets if you need to, and try to hit failure less often. Training to lots of failure can burn you out very quickly, and is really unnecessary for gains in strength and size.

Shrugs - 1 x 10

Added a small amount of weight, don't think it was enough. Will add more next time.

Most people can shrug as much weight as they can hold onto. Usually the grip fails first. Add some next time, but don't get too greedy. It's much better to keep up smaller additions over a longer period of time than to quickly reach a point where you can't advance consistently.

Feelings - Arms are killing, as are my shoulders. Feel guilty about the chin ups, just couldn't bring myself to do them. Because i'm working out on my own at home, have to pay extra attention to form because there's no one else to do it. It went good, and i won't say that the initial pain wasn't discomforting. The rush you get after though is amazing, and well worth it =) Was in such a hurry to write this forgot to stretch after, so just did 2-3 mins of that, will do a bit more and remember to next time.

Edit: Workout minus warmup + cooldown took about 35 mins, think this is about right.

You'd be better off spending more time stretching after and less time stretching before. The way your arms and shoulders feel is the exact reason that I do very little direct work for either. Your timing is probably just about right.

RickTheDestroyer
08-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Day 2 - Leg day

Squats - 2 x 6-8, 10kilos

These went really well, but raped my legs. Pulled off the first set all cool, second set went 6reps/15secs/1rep/20secs/last rep. Had to wait 15 minutes before moving onto hack squats.

Hack Squats - 2 x 6-8, 5kilos

Should have moved straight onto these, but muscles were absolutely furshed. First set went 6/2, second set 4/2/1/1, with breaks of 15secs.

Good Mornings - 2 x 6-8, 2.5kilos

Very poor form on these, didn't move my legs as i was supposed to - will work on this next time. Pulled them off but not convinced i did them well :/

Straight Legged Deadlifts - 2 x 6-8, 2.5kilos

These went really well. Began to flag @ end of second set, took a break n got back to them. Quite happy with these =)

Standing Calve Raises - 4 x 10, 2.5 kilos

Bit boring, but began to feel the burn halfway through. Completed them without much fuss, will have to add bit more weight next time.

Abs - Weighted Crunches - 3 x 10, 5kilos

These went good, although on occasion the weight slipped down so had to make sure it was propped on my chest properly. Realised later that it's supposed to be 4 sets, so will change this next time.

All in all a good workout, good morning form needs a lot of working on though.

-Steele

Your form on squats and good mornings will improve with time, and will probably be something you continue to perfect for years. Fifteen minutes between the Squats and Hack Squats is really too much time- you don't want your muscles to get cold. If you need to, do something else in between (like your calf and ab work), or just mark this one up as a first shot and realize that you'll need to cut it shorter next time.
I'm assuming that the weights you have written are in addition to the bar, correct? People generally include the weight of the bar, which should be 20 kilos.
You're doing well man, keep it up and you'll be well rewearded. :thumbup: