PDA

View Full Version : USAPL and Equipment

Chubrock
08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Does anybody know if the USAPL is a raw federation or not? I looked in their rulebook but didn't see anything at first glance. The reason I'm asking is that I've been looking at the NC Junior PLing records for my weight class and was trying to figure out if they were equipped or not. I've got 4yrs to break them, and I'm confident I will, but was just wondering if I would be shooting for all raw lifting or not.

WillKuenzel
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM
The USAPL allows single ply equipment for all 3 lifts. They also allow knee wraps, wrist wraps and belts. They have a bit stricter rules as far as how you can squat and bench. No real way of making the deadlift any tougher than it already is. ;)

They don't use a monolift for squatting. You have to walk it out, lock your knees before starting and completely lock your knees out at the top, on top of making sure you hit a very very low depth.

The bench, you can't bench below your diaphragm or lower part of the sternum. No belly benching, essentially. They still pause just about as long as anybody else. You have wait for the press command.

I think that's all the major points.

Paul Stagg
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
There is no press command in the usapl

WillKuenzel
08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh. My bad. Learn something new everyday.

Paul Stagg
08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
We'll let it slide this time.

drew
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Does the USAPL also require your feet to be flat on the ground for benching?

Chris Rodgers
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Yea and if you show any signs of strain or if sweat drips off of you, you get red-lighted. ;)

I hate their bench rules. They don't tell you to press, which is absurd. The fact thaat your feet have to be flat is ridiculous as well. I lifted my head once while benching in state-level USAPL meet and was red-lighted. That's just wrong.

As for the squats, I hope you're flexible.

TommyBoy
08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Also, be prepared to hold your deadlift at the top for about 2 minutes, and if you speak at all during the meet you're banned for 1 year.

JustinASU
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I think I'll be avoiding this federation like the plague when I start competing.

Chubrock
08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Well damn. I suppose my form and technique will just have to be THAT good.

Sensei
08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Well damn. I suppose my form and technique will just have to be THAT good.I'm sure you'd do fine.

There does seem to be an air of superiority about USAPL for some reason.... I don't know why that is, but it's probably because there is the IPF and being the only fed in the US that has a legitimate "World Championship" event.... That's not to say anything negative at all about anyone affiliated with USAPL because I've met many IPF lifters who were some of the best people ever.

Paul Stagg
08-17-2006, 06:58 AM
Lift where you are happy lifting.

I like that the USAPL has strict performance standards, although I do wish they had a 'Press' command. I have no problem with requiring your feet be flat. The holier than thou attitude is a turnoff... I'd be much happier if we could just encourage people to get strong and show it, and keep in mind there are differences in performance standards when comparing lifts across federations.

I'm just as happy to see a 1100 APF squat as I am to see an 850 USAPL squat - they are different lifts, but both impressive.

WillKuenzel
08-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Lift where you are happy lifting.

I like that the USAPL has strict performance standards, although I do wish they had a 'Press' command. I have no problem with requiring your feet be flat. The holier than thou attitude is a turnoff... I'd be much happier if we could just encourage people to get strong and show it, and keep in mind there are differences in performance standards when comparing lifts across federations.

I'm just as happy to see a 1100 APF squat as I am to see an 850 USAPL squat - they are different lifts, but both impressive.

My sentiments exactly. Good post.

Chris Rodgers
08-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Paul, I agree with that as well.

I have just personally seen lifts turned down in the USAPL(done by people I never met) that just should not be turned down. It just bothers me.

The USAPL and IPF have some of the most talented lifters in the world competing in them though.

Paul Stagg
08-18-2006, 07:23 AM
It's going to happen... just like there are lifts that do get passed that shouldn't

ElPietro
08-18-2006, 11:00 AM
USAPL is just IPF rules is it not? Similar to the Canadian Powerlifting Union. I also like it since the form is pretty strict. Some feds that allow everything except the spotters pulling the weight off you as an advantage, I don't see as enticing. But that's just me.

I'd rather err on the strict side than the loose side. It makes the totals a little bit more consistently comparable across the board.

I've been out of it for awhile, but from what I remember, there was some serious debate on bringing back the "press" command. From what I remember of the process though, it's a big pain in the arse to get any IPF rules changed.