PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Newbie needs some diet info.

Snipe
01-31-2002, 07:59 PM
Hello,

I've been lifting for about 3 - 4 months now after not lifting for about 2.5 years.

When I started, I was not getting enough excercise, although I was playing a few hours of basketball 3 times per week.

I'm 6'3, naturally skinny, and at that point, I had put on a few pounds of beer gut and weighed about 178. Previously, I weighed about 185 when I was lifting and taking creatine.

Since then, I have stopped drinking, started taking creating, greatly increased my protein consumption, and tried to reduce my carbs. For a while I was going extremely low on my carb intake in attempt to shed the gut I had put on.

As far as shedding the gut goes, I have pretty much reached my goal and can now see the sixer more or less (though definately not to the degree I would like.) Overall, I have REALLY toned up, and definately become a little stronger, however, I have not seen the size improvements I would like. In fact, I've lost weight and now weigh a mere 168!!!

My goal is to weigh 190 - 200+ , however, I think I need some nutrition help from you guys in order to achieve that goal. If you could give me some recommendations as far as pre/post workout intake requirements along with some guidlines as far as a good level of carb/fat intake so that I bring out the abs more while gaining size and muscle (if possible) I would REALLY appreciate it.

By the way, if you've read this far, thanks.

TreeTrunks
01-31-2002, 08:10 PM
I make my post workout meal (its a meal for me) my largest of the day. Try maybe 500 calories postworkout. Keep the carbs simple carbs. To get big eat big as tryska has said.

Snipe
01-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between simple and complex carbs? Am I right in assuming that simple carbs are just sugars like those found in juice and fruit? What are some examples of complex carbs, and can someone break down the uses of each for me?

Slim Schaedle
01-31-2002, 09:13 PM
good complex carbs:

oatmeal:thumbup:
rice
potatos
breads
some pastas
etc

The main thing is that they all have certain places where they will fit into a good diet. All have different affects on your insulin.....you have to use a strategywhen you eat them in order to avoid bodyfat production. I will let someone else go in more detail if you are concerned about it.