PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried any of the explosive programs for vertical leap?

droman
08-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys have done any of these programs like increase your vertical leap or your 40 time. ive seen acouple of these trainers online such as luke lowery and Kelly braggett who say they can do it so i was wondering if anybody has done it. I really want to know

droman
08-17-2006, 08:13 AM
I have tried the jumpsoles but that really isn't the same. Although i did gain about 5 inches on there program in about 2 months but it went away quickly when i stopped doing the program. I know somebody has tried one of these programs.

Sensei
08-17-2006, 10:01 AM
I own the vertical jump and 40yd dash booklets that were put out by Martin Rooney and Joe DeFranco. They were pretty easy reads and easy to implement with some high school basketball and football players. The kids made pretty good progress, but then again high schoolers will gain on just about anything...

I don't know if they have newer editions of these, but I'd recommend them if they do. The 2002 edition doesn't have pictures and that was something that really frustrated me...

droman
08-18-2006, 08:56 AM
yeah a friend was telling me about joe defranco but i was more really trying to get the luke lowery or kelly baggett programs but thanks joe defrenco he has a good website i forgot his name intill you wrote it though.

droman
09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I know somebody has had to try one of these programs or any programs like it. Because i am real interested in increasing athletic ability. Im 5'10 180 and am a pretty decent athlete but i hate watching people who don't do anything and can dunk a basketball or are faster than me. Or are stronger than me just because of the genitics and I know there is a way of increasing these. I have increased mines pretty good on a program but i haven't really ever finished the program because of practices for my teams and I know without rest the program i am doing won't work.

Jinkies
09-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Bleachers and boxes

Bob
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Bleachers and boxes
:withstupi
But don't forget your squat, lunges and calf raises..

and did you know that Olympic lifters have some of the biggest vertical leaps in the world??
This was proven back in the 60's..
It's mentioned in this WBB Thread... (search on Mexico - research was done there)
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=25569
and here are some quotes from various Internet sites:

"Pound for pound, Olympic weightlifters have a greater level of speed-strength than any other class of athletes in all of sport. This fact was made very clear during a massive scientific expedition carried out on the athletes at the Mexico City Olympics in 1964. Sports scientists found that Olympic lifters were able to both vertical jump higher than any class of athletes (including the high jumpers), and run a 25 yard dash faster than any class of athletes (including the sprinters). Frederick C. Hatfield, Ph.D., F.I.S.S.A"

"It has also been well documented by people the amazing vertical jumping ability these Olympic lifters have. This is really amazing once you think that these guys don?t jump but yet can out-jump the pro basketball players in the NBA. In the Mexico City Olympic Games Dr. Yessis did a field test with the Olympic lifters competing with the Olympic sprinters and jumpers. The had two tests, the 25m sprint and the vertical jump. It was documented that the Olympic lifters out-sprinted the Olympic sprinters in the 25m and out-jumped the Olympic jumpers in the vertical jump! This is quite a feat for men weighing 250-300lbs."

Sensei
09-06-2006, 05:45 AM
:withstupi
But don't forget your squat, lunges and calf raises..

and did you know that Olympic lifters have some of the biggest vertical leaps in the world??
This was proven back in the 60's..
It's mentioned in this WBB Thread... (search on Mexico - research was done there)
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=25569
bearwolf,
I really believe this "study" to be an urban legend... I have asked at many forums and listserves for anyone to provide more solid details of the study, but no one, not a single person, could come up with specifics. No researchers names, no athlete names, nada... If such a huge study had actually taken place, you would expect to at least be able to find it.

edit: I just noticed that you quoted someone as saying that Dr. Yessis had conducted the study. I don't think that's true. I'll try to shoot an e-mail in his direction and maybe he'll answer - he certainly didn't when I posed the question about the study at the supertraining listserve.

Bob
09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
bearwolf,
I really believe this "study" to be an urban legend... I have asked at many forums and listserves for anyone to provide more solid details of the study, but no one, not a single person, could come up with specifics. No researchers names, no athlete names, nada... If such a huge study had actually taken place, you would expect to at least be able to find it.

edit: I just noticed that you quoted someone as saying that Dr. Yessis had conducted the study. I don't think that's true. I'll try to shoot an e-mail in his direction and maybe he'll answer - he certainly didn't when I posed the question about the study at the supertraining listserve.
Well there I go again... believing everything I read on the Internet... lol
Dang, I hate when that happens..
but I still believe that Oly lifting helps vertical jumping.. I mean besides the SHWs.. have you ever seen how excited the lifters get.. and then most of them jump so friggin' high in the air on PRs and WRs.. or do back flips??

Let me know what you find out..
I'll go back to reading books then.. wait.. some of those aren't 100% accurate either.. dang, I wish everyone told the truth all the time..

Maki Riddington
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Kelly has based his program on sound scientific principles. His program works. You don't need to try it to know it works. Buy his book, it's gold and the bonuses are really great as well.

I'm going to look into buying Joe Defranco's book as well, just as a reference as he churns out some great athletes.

Sensei
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Let me know what you find out..
I'll go back to reading books then.. wait.. some of those aren't 100% accurate either.. dang, I wish everyone told the truth all the time..I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in one of Dr. Fred Hatfield's books too. I mentioned it to him on his forum once and never got a response.

I'll see what I can find out.

MixmasterNash
09-06-2006, 02:27 PM
bearwolf,

I don't doubt that many of the weightlifters in 1960 were more explosive than the sprinters or jumpers.

The sprinters, of course, are much faster over the full 100m and more because explosion out of the start is not the only factor. And a good vertical jump does not necessarily translate into a good high jump, especially for a shorter person.

However, modern athletes, in particular track and field athletes, know and train with the olympic lifts, pylometrics, and everything else and I imagine that they can produce nearly as much power per weight as a weightlifter. That, plus their technique, different body shape, optimized training for moving 200lbs versus 600lbs, etc. will mean that the modern athlete will perform optimally in their event.

droman
09-08-2006, 08:22 PM
yeah this is some great stuff and i have heard most of this before. Right now im trying to get as strong as possible. during the winter then in the spring i'll start the plyometris and sprints. I think you I have to get stronger but in some cases i think some people neeed to get quicker since power is strength and speed

deeder
09-09-2006, 08:19 AM
I know that even just squatting has increased my vertical significantly. I'm 5'9" and I can touch the rim on a basketball net.. Before I started squatting I could only slap the net. Can't dunk yet though :(

JoeGrinD
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I have the air alert 3 program and I must say it did increase my vert and jump reaction time while I was on it. However I found it hard on my knees and had to stop at about week 9.

Damn my weak knees. :cry:

235orbust
09-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Lunges, and squating where you explode as hard as you can when you go up will help you more than any program out there.

explosive leg workouts=explosive vertical