PDA

View Full Version : Getting over not having visible abs....

dday76
08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
I started WSB about 3 weeks ago and have been eating a butt-load of calorie dense foods every 3-4 hours. I probably have upped my calores by 1,000-1,500 calories per day and am gaining weight pretty good. Also my strength is going up. But psychologically it is messing me up because I am no longer "fit and trim" like I was for so long. Quick background.......up until I was 24 years old I was extremely overweight. I'm talking like 100 lbs. overweight. I worked hard to lose the weight, and now am coping with the fact that I will soon be back in 36" waist pants again where I have been in 30"-32".

So how do you big guys cope with this. Then again, maybe i am just a puss and a whiner......lol

Bob
08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
You don't have to bulk THAT much!! You can control how much and how fast you gain... and then when you want to cut too.

What are the rest of your stats?? height, weight? Going from a 32 to 36 is about 40 lbs on me.. and I'm 5'9..

and stop whining... lol

Ricochet_kid
08-16-2006, 06:08 PM
I know what you mean. I'm in a similar position.

I've never been quite that overweight mind you, but on this bulk I've gotten much fatter and all my pants are uncomfortable and tight on me now. I feel like a fatso, but atleast I'm a fatso that added 40 pounds to his bench. :strong:

If you've been overweight before then you KNOW that you can lose it again when you choose to. Thats what I get some comfort from anyway.

If that doesn't work for you then just bulk slower so you don't get quite so fat.

Stumprrp
08-16-2006, 06:29 PM
thats bulking my friend, but you can always slow the process down if you would like.

KingWilder
08-16-2006, 06:33 PM
you know, having abs and then bulking up and losing them used to bother me too. Lately I don't care though. For some reason my focus has shifted from having abs to increasing my lifts and getting larger overall.

ShockBoxer
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I started a fatass and I fear not the fatass. Keep me below 20% bodyfat until the day I die and I'll be quite happy (as long as I'm getting stronger).

Paladyr
08-16-2006, 07:28 PM
If you bulk conservatively you shouldn't have to deal with gaining a lot of excess weight. I've gone from 167 to 176 in 5 weeks and I actually appear thinner when looking at progressive pics I take every week. I probably have put on a little fat, but I have not been able to notice it. My wedidng ring still slides on and off (probably need to size it again :-P) and my pants are just as loose. I also use calipers on my stomach and that hasn't budged either. I'm not a genetic freak or anything I just try to keep my calories about 200-300 above maintenance.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I started a fatass and I fear not the fatass. Keep me below 20% bodyfat until the day I die and I'll be quite happy (as long as I'm getting stronger).

This is a very foreign thought process to me.

I started at 20, now i'm down to just above 10, and i'm trying desperately to get to 8...

And i fear when i get to 8, i'll want to get to 7....

dday76
08-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Stats (I'm kind of guessing. I know what they were about 2 months ago.)

Ht. 5'9.5"
Wt. 206 lbs.
Waist 34" (I have "squat ass" though so my pants have to be bought bigger.)
Biceps 16.5" - 17"
Chest 46" - 47"
Body Fat - I can still see my upper and slight middel abs first thing in the morning so I am guessing 13%(+-). When I gain weight I am like a woman. I gain my body fat in my ass and hips first, then my stomach. lol It sucks because my waist can be a 31", but I will have to almost by 34" pants just to get them over my ass. It's all good though.

Regardless. I want to be strong. My goal is to bench and squat 500 lbs. by Christmas of next year. Which should be very doable. I should easily reach that goal if I keep at it hard and keep eating. Currently before starting the WSB training I benched around 320 lbs. and squat 315 lbs. for 3 reps all the way down, below parallel.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
This is a very foreign thought process to me.

I started at 20, now i'm down to just above 10, and i'm trying desperately to get to 8...

And i fear when i get to 8, i'll want to get to 7....

I have my goals in mind. A 1500+ total at 165. Obviously the leaner I get the more muscle will be shoved into that and the more ripped I'll be... but that will be a side effect, not a goal in and of itself. This lets me eat cheesecake with my friends once or twice a week and not feel bad (except for them, since they're 30% or higher and complaining that I can eat whatever I want... without seeming to realize that I watch my diet when I'm NOT eating cheesecake and spending hours at the gym a week busting my butt).

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I love people that complain about being fat then eat cheesecake or other fatty foods.

Jeffreyk
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Long theory short.........you try to keep the abs and bulk up get stronger, you will spin your wheels.....no need to become obese, but you got to eat and with eating comes the disappearing of abs....it sucks, sucks bad, but it'll 100% mental. Who care if yo have no abs? Is it for that 1 pool party you skipped? EAT! 24 hours a day......then strip it off when it's time.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
A fear of eating, a sense of guilt for eating 'bad' food, an anxious critique of your body every time you pass a mirror. People who truly 'fear' losing their abs seem a little too close to the mindset of an anorexic for my tastes. I can't imagine the damage done to one's self esteem come bulk time if they've wrapped so much of their self image into their abs. They'd probably feel they were 'fat' at 14% or something.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Egh, SHockBoxer you describe me too a T. I started to bulk a while back for about a week then got really paranoid about fat gain... Back to cutting.

Grant it, i did put on a few pounds of leg mass rather quickly :D

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
You have to look at your reasons for wanting to be lean. I wanted to be below 20% for health reasons. Nothing more, nothing less. I chose weights because I also wanted to be strong.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I just want to look sexy for my lady.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I just want to look sexy for my lady.

I doubt that very much. If that really were the case you wouldn't have a need to get below 12% OR get any stronger. Do you honestly think going below storage fat levels is needed to get her purring? If looking sexy for her was your true goal you'd stop now and maintain forever.

Find your real reason. :)

dday76
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Mine is more of a fear of being very overweight again. Like I said. I was very obese all through my childhood and up until I was 21-22 years old. I wore a waist 42-44" pants at a height of 5'9.5". That is huge to me. It took me a long time to lose that weight and I just don't want to get that big again. I know that I can stop bulking and conrol my food intake to manage my fat gain, but like I said ... it is just psychological for me. All in my head. Maybe once I can say I bench over 400lbs. then it won't be such a big deal to me.

radioheadhead
08-17-2006, 12:27 PM
I have always been thin, then gained almost 20 lbs since April thanks to this site. My abs are disappearing, but that is ok b/c I am clothed 99% of the time, right? I know I look better in a t-shirt, and all of my clothes fit better. I think it is a fair trade until I get to 185 and start to cut a little for next summer. (currently 170 @ 6 feet tall.)