PDA

View Full Version : Cutting, more than 1 lb per week?

JConrad
08-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Before I started weight training I lost over 30 lbs in bodyfat. When i was losing bodyfat I lost about 2 lbs a week so I know exactly how to lose this amount. I've made good muscle gains in the last 5 months but now I'm getting to the point where I need to cut.
What I want to know is, if I lose 2 lbs a week will this be detrimental to my muscle gains, even if I lift heavy/low reps and eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM?
And if 2 lbs a week is too much and causes muscle loss, what is the maximum I can look to lose without significant muscle loss?
Thanks.

ddegroff
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Most say 1-2lbs per week is a good goal. The closer you are to 1lb/week the less muscle you should lose (but thats all individual).

Your last question is tough to answer because everyone is different. Play around with it and see how you feel. If your strength really drops then that my be indication of too low cals and/or muscle loss.

JConrad
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks, when I start my cutting phase I'll aim for 1.5 pounds per week, to be a little on the safe side, then see where I go from there.

Paladyr
08-16-2006, 07:34 PM
The best way to cut is to figure out what your maintenance calories are and drop it by 500 or so. That way you don't have to worry about losing weight too fast b/c you know exactly how much of a caloric deficit you are in.

Built
08-16-2006, 07:53 PM
The best way to cut is to figure out what your maintenance calories are and drop it by 500 or so. That way you don't have to worry about losing weight too fast b/c you know exactly how much of a caloric deficit you are in.
A better way is to figure out what your maintenance calories are and drop them by 10-20% - if this works out to 500 calories, that's fine. But for someone with 1800 cals a day maintenance, 1300 a day is too much of a drop.

JustLost
08-17-2006, 08:34 AM
A better way is to figure out what your maintenance calories are and drop them by 10-20% - if this works out to 500 calories, that's fine. But for someone with 1800 cals a day maintenance, 1300 a day is too much of a drop.

+1.

How fat the person is plays a part, too -- someone who's 35% BF can afford to lose weight faster without negative repercussions than the same person at, say, 15%. Trust me on this -- I have tons (hehehe) of empirical, n=1 data.

Paladyr
08-17-2006, 07:48 PM

True, I don't know why I said 500, I know better. It should always be a percentage.

NOW I remember why I said 500 instead of a percentage. The OP said he has been making muscle gains for 5 months, so to me, that means he's eating calories over maintenance. In order to lose 1lb of fat per week, he would have to cut out 500 cals from his maintenance cals. He also mentioned that before he lost 2lb of fat per week. All that added up (in my mind) to him eating enough calories that he could cut out 500 and lose 1lb per week.