PDA

View Full Version : Hockey and lifting

Y0yo
08-17-2006, 03:48 AM
I've been lifting for 3 years, with some improvement in strength but I'm no where near my goals (100lbs away). They recently opened an ice rink nearby (Rare here in Japan). I'm thinking of getting a monthly pass and doing some hockey drills (They have a section for hockey players).

It's been almost 8 years since I've played and I felt (And looked) like such a noob on the ice. I remember it being easier. I get this feeling that my feet are swelling up in my skates, something I don't remember from back in the day. Are my skates too small? Am I too big?

Should my lifting routine (Currently Bill Starr 5X5) be switched with something else if I plan on skating 3 or 4 days a week?

My goal is to lose weight (Now 315lbs, would like to be 215lbs). I realize diet is the key, but should any adjustments be made to anything else?

droman
08-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Well the only thing i would sugggest is doing your exercises(meaning lifting) after you go on the ice. So i would resommend going to the rink before your workout. Also get lots of rest and maybe take a supplement to help your recovery.

Maki Riddington
08-17-2006, 08:24 AM
Start with basic hockey drills and work your way up. As your coordination gets better increase the challenge. You shouldn't be looking for any kind of fancy drill that may look cool.

Hockey66
08-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Start with basic hockey drills and work your way up. As your coordination gets better increase the challenge. You shouldn't be looking for any kind of fancy drill that may look cool.

:withstupi

Just do some simple passing and shooting drills, and eventually work your way up.

Beware, it's BRUTAL skating after a lower body day.

mikey4402
08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
are you plaining on actualy play hockey or are you using it for cardio?

either way work on your transitions forword and backword.practice crossovers skating forword and backword. and make sure you have a good knee bend during all of it.

as for the skates, maybe you have them too tight. buy some waxed laces that way you can keep your toe and ankle area tight and leave the middle of your foot a little looser.

make sure you get plenty of rest between your on-ice workout and your off-ice training. skating in its self is very tiring.

also make sure your drinking plenty of water because you will sweet alot with all that gear on.

Y0yo
08-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I just plan on practicing...although with no equipment on. If I can round up enough people I may be able to get a game going once a week, but that really depends on others.

I'll lift the same and do the drills I did back in the day.

PowerForward
10-09-2007, 11:05 PM
practicing hockey like you are won't affect your lifting. It could be nice cardio if you skate hard though. Monday and Wednesday I skate hard 2x and then lift at night. I just feel really loose and warmed up when it's time to lift.