PDA

View Full Version : 11 Year Old/ Track and Field

come back kid
08-17-2006, 09:25 AM
My 11 y/o daughter just started middle school this year (7th grade) and she wants to join the track team. When I tell you this kid is fast as fast gets, I mean it. She actually beat me in a sprint race on the beach (I'm no shlub):cry: . She is almost 5'3" and weighs 105. She must have a super gene hat skipped over me or something?

Purpose of thread: What are some exercises that can increase her speed? She is going to have some serious competiton out there. We live in a culturally diverse area and some of the kids in her school are 14-15 y/o.

mikey4402
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
um the best way to improve you speed is to actualy run. have her do sprints and sprints and more sprints. running up hill helps too. also sprinting downhill, but you have to be careful when doing this.

but dont push her too much, shes only 11. and if you force her to do things she will probley end up hating it.

come back kid
08-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Living in FL, ther aren't many, if any hills here to run up, except landfills, and I dont think thats an option. Do you think a HIIT type routine would be OK?

I don't push her. All sports she decides to play are on her own free will. But I will help and encourage her to be THE BEST she can be.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
plyometrics.

come back kid
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
plyometrics.

Do I google that?:scratch:

Anthony
08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't go the plyometric route at her age, but others may disagree.

Is she just running? Throwing? Jumping?

Either way, get a good coach that pays attention to form. If she can master form at this age, it will be a lot easier to see progress when you start adding more complicated training methods.

come back kid
08-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Running and jumping for now. I dont know where to find a decent coach. I wouldn't know how to judge a coaches attributes as a good coach either.

edit: Does any one know of a video or anyhting along those lines about form? When she jogs w/me it sounds like she's stomping the ground hard, as to where you can barley hear my feet hitting the ground

MixmasterNash
08-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Have her play sports that cross train running.

Soccer is excellent -- sprinting and endurance.

offhegoes03
08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I loved running when I was younger and my parents looked for a team that would help coach me and enable me to compete. They found a team in the area called the Howard County Junior Striders (I'm originally from MD) and they had great coaching (i.e. taught you valuable skills but stressed having fun). I did this from about 5th or 6th grade until I got to high school and then I competed for my high school. I recommend looking for running teams like this in your area. Good luck!

come back kid
08-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice Chris!

UnknownSoldier
08-17-2006, 07:28 PM
plyometrics

Did wonders to my lil cuz.

http://www.weightsnet.com/Docs/plyometrics.html

jed
08-18-2006, 12:06 AM
plyometrics help alot if shes gonna be sprinting short distances (IMO). It helped me a TON. I did them for 3 months (serious plyometrics, though) and it took off .3 off of my 40 yard dash time. I dont know if you should start her on rigorous plyo's at age 11, but you could look it up and see if its ok.

come back kid
08-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Awesome responses. I appreciate the feedback and the link (unknownsoldier).

droman
08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
I would try stairs 2 days a week like monday and thursady with two days in between for rest. Also jump ropping helps with foot speed. Yeah i wouldn't do plyometrics yet with her although i think it wouldn't harm her if you did it don't go extreme though. Also if you do go that route have her do some strength exercises with no weight such as lunges, step ups and squats with no weight becasue you nees adequete stength before starting plyometrics.

come back kid
08-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Droman- that sounds good. i will have her start jumping rope as of today! She hates lunges, but if i do them with her she feel better about it. How would I get her to stop trying to put holes in the concrete when she runs? She sounds like an elephant stomping when she runs?

jed
08-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Just tell her to run on her toes, have her watch you do it, then have her try and try again till she gets better.

UnknownSoldier
08-18-2006, 08:36 PM
i use to run like that too...

I started wearing those shoes where you stay on your toes...
made me lighter on my feet and it did wonders for my calves..

http://www.strength-shoes.com/images/strength-shoes%202.jpg

heres a picture.

laxguy1028
08-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Have her play sports that cross train running.

Soccer is excellent -- sprinting and endurance.
I agree this would be a lot better, no 11 year old is going to be dedicated enough to stick to any routine. Just make sure she is active and runs,jumps,and just enjoys being a kid. Do not let her wear those strength shoes unless you want her to have calf and achilles problems.

come back kid
08-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Those shoes do look pretty painful!! She always runs and jumps. We raced again again yesterday and i got my redemption. Sad that I can say i barely beat my 11y/o daughter in a sprint race. As far as jumping is concerned, the only jumping shes doing right now is on my back.

We had a talk about setting up a routine for her. She seems interested, but only time will tell. If she sticks with it...Great. If not, well, not great!

MixmasterNash
08-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Play sports. Develop coordination.

You can train strength and speed more easily later in life. Hand-eye coordination, catching, throwing, agility? Not nearly as much.

come back kid
08-21-2006, 12:24 PM
She is going on 4th year of fastpitch softball, and the ole' hand-eye coordination is finally starting to peak it's tiny little head out!

droman
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
I have used the platform shoes. They do work but are very taxing of the muscles and since shes young i wouldn't do it because there is a good chance of injury. hopefully the jump roping will cause her to run on her toes a bit. I would also give her maybe some form running drilld such as power skipping, carioca, and L's when shes running which is your arm positon at 90 degrees. Also you might have her run hills which are a great tool. Hopefully weve given you some good ideas if you want somemore just ask.