PDA

View Full Version : Glycemic Reaction to Proteins

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Does anybody know where Whey, Casein, Egg protein lay on the Glycemic index?

I was asking about Insulin response to Succralose, Aspartame, on Lyle McD's board, and they mentioned that people often forget that protein often triggers a higher insulin response then people realize.

Marnie
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Is insulin bad? I'd really like someone to put it in simple terms for me, as I don't udnertsnad much of the articles that contain a lot of biology lingo.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Insulin is both a good and bad thing.

Insulin is a transport hormone. It shuttles proteins and carbohydrates into muscles for repair and for storage.

Insulin presence in the bloodstream also prevents mobilization of fat stores and is also responsible for transporting excess energy into fat cells.

Insulin manipulation is a good thing.

ddegroff
08-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Here's something interesting:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6389060&dopt=Abstract

It was done on diabetics so I'm not sure how it realates to BB, but it's interesting.

Eszekial
08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
DD, can you put that in english for me? :D

ddegroff
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
The insulin area following glucose was only modestly greater than with a protein meal (97 +/- 35, 83 +/- 19 microU X h/ml, respectively).

This tells me with protein still spikes insulin, just not as much as CHO's.

I'm gonna try to find something better...

Vapour Trails
08-17-2006, 02:46 PM
By definition, whey and other proteins are not on the glycemic index.

"Glycemic index (also glycaemic index, GI) is a ranking system for carbohydrates based on their immediate effect on blood glucose levels."

Also, apartame and sucralose are not carbohydrates, thus they are not on the index.