PDA

View Full Version : When do you get energy after eating a large meal?

ViciousBish
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I get very low on energy at work. I try to eat very healthy and alot. I get all my protein, carbs, and fat. I just feel so beat up at the end of the work day. I get 9 hours of sleep a night.

Can I eat special meals to help me out with my low energy? Also When does energy kick in after you eat big meals?

thanks

KarateBoy
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
No offense but you being 300+ lbs can be a decent part of the problem.

Vapour Trails
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't think a large meal will ever make you feel energized or alert. Large meals weigh me down and induce drowsiness. If you need energy, seek out stimulants.

TwiloMike
08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Smaller meals, more frequently. That's the ticket.

Slim Schaedle
08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I get very low on energy at work. I try to eat very healthy and alot. I get all my protein, carbs, and fat. I just feel so beat up at the end of the work day. I get 9 hours of sleep a night.

Can I eat special meals to help me out with my low energy? Also When does energy kick in after you eat big meals?

thanks
I think your question has less to do with food, than it does with various hormones secreted by the brain, assuming your diet is ok like you hinted at.

But to answer the question, once you eat food, the different macronutrient take various routes (too complicated for this thread and not needed). If carbohydrate intake is adequate, you are going to have a decent amount of glycogen with which to use for production of ATP.

You can kind of look at it from the stand point that your body always has energy in that it either has enough ATP ready to go, or enough carbohydrate ready for what I mentioned. If this isn't the case, the production of ATP comes from other sources.

Until you wither away to a skeleton, you are always going to have energy or have a way to produce it.

This probably doesn't help you too much, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Try a little caffeine or smaller meals like the others mentioned.

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 01:56 PM
No offense but you being 300+ lbs can be a decent part of the problem.
I agree, but if I remember right from highschool biology a few years back, I think it takes somewhere from 4-6 hrs....

Paladyr
08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I think you should post what you eat in a typical day. Maybe you are in a caloric deficit and your body is fighting it by lowering your metabolism.

ViciousBish
08-18-2006, 08:44 AM
my meals

1 whey protein shake in water or skim

2 cheerios in skim/ 15 grain wheat toast with peanut butter

3 whey and preworkout NO-supplement

WORKOUT (workout always has alot of energy. I never had a problem)

4 double serving of whey

5 turkey or roast beef sandwich on wheat

6 ham/turkey/ sub on wheat

7 chicken and brown rice or steak

8 mix protein for p.m.

Paladyr
08-18-2006, 09:18 AM
my meals

1 whey protein shake in water or skim

2 cheerios in skim/ 15 grain wheat toast with peanut butter

3 whey and preworkout NO-supplement

WORKOUT (workout always has alot of energy. I never had a problem)

4 double serving of whey

5 turkey or roast beef sandwich on wheat

6 ham/turkey/ sub on wheat

7 chicken and brown rice or steak

8 mix protein for p.m.

Put that in fitday.com and figure out how many calories you are eating.

ViciousBish
08-18-2006, 01:24 PM
It's about 3,200 calories. 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat. Spread throughout the whole day from when I wake up to when I go to sleep.

Paladyr
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM
It's about 3,200 calories. 35% protein, 35% carbs, 30% fat. Spread throughout the whole day from when I wake up to when I go to sleep.

At 305, 6'4", you could be eating less than your body needs. Are you losing weight?

russianwol
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Your 9 hours of sleep could also be a problem. Some say that anything more than 8 hours a day is counter productive. I find that I need occasional 9 - 10 hours but if I set a good schedule 7-8 is good. But if I oversleep I'm usually drowsy.

SkinnySadMan
08-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Hmmm when I am at work and I'm really tired, then it's lunch time I get full and then I feel awake....and refreshed. I feel it almost instantly after I am finished eating.

Sometimes I get that feeling I don't want to go back to work though.

VikingWarlord
08-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Sometimes I get that feeling I don't want to go back to work though.

Welcome to life, homeboy.

ViciousBish
08-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Yeah, I'm losing like 2-3 pounds a week