PDA

View Full Version : Do Powerlifters/strength athletes cut/bulk? Diet differences?

manowar669
08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I've been BBing for several years with good results, but my personal interest (like many others) is shifting more towards strength training and powerlifting. I may never compete (we'll see), but I just want to work towards brute strength. I still wanna look good, though (maybe this is having my cake and eating it too). I don't necessarily need sub 10% bf, but certainly in the 10-14% range. I've seen lots of pics of powerlifters and olympic athletes, and they are BIG boys. I know having a little extra a$$ behind you is an advantage in these events. So, do powerlifters just eat everthing in sight, with an eye towards getting enough protein and healthy fats, or just eat everything and tons of it or what? Do any powerlifters actually cut?

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I would say a lot of your approach depends on what weight you want to compete at.

Sensei
08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
A lot of powerlifters are getting more selective with their diets. I think, as a group, they're tired of seeing a lot of people checking out more quickly than they should...

Powerlifters cut weight for meets, but they're not doing it for appearance-sake.

JustinASU
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
A lot of powerlifters are getting more selective with their diets. I think, as a group, they're tired of seeing a lot of people checking out more quickly than they should...

Powerlifters cut weight for meets, but they doing it for appearance-sake.

Did you mean to say that they are NOT doing it for appearance?

Dinosaur
08-17-2006, 03:39 PM
It depends on weight classes. If you look at the smaller classes of powerlifters and strongman competitors, they tend to be very well-defined as they want as much muscle as they can get without going over their weight restrictions.

A good example of this is Brad "BJ" Cardoza. He competed in WSM 2005 as a lightweight (and unfortunately tore his bicep but is on the rebound).

http://myspace-396.vo.llnwd.net/00555/69/36/555296396_l.jpg

http://myspace-720.vo.llnwd.net/00626/02/75/626955720_l.jpg

kad
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Holy crap that man is jacked. :eek:

bjohnso
08-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Powerlifters cut weight for meets, but they're not doing it for appearance-sake.

Checking out meaning dying?

bjohnso
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Check out that vein on his head, he looks like a psycho. I'll bet nobody messes with him.

DNL
08-18-2006, 03:00 AM
i don't usually check out guys but damn he has nice legs (top pic). hahaha

BTW: can someone guess or point out how much weight he's pulling?

Dinosaur
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
The car in hands in the photo is 650 pounds. The chain is probably around 500-600 pounds.

manowar669
08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
LOL, you can see the war wounds from deadlifting on his shins.

SaVvY
08-18-2006, 01:34 PM
strongmen often do bulks an cuts yes but not in a bodybuilding sense most the time, powerlifters are not a massively different but i would say its less in there case for the heavys

SkinnySadMan
08-18-2006, 04:35 PM
What is "Lightweight" in the strongmen competition ? 205 lbs. ?

The Zach
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Most powerlifters look like they've been bulking for about 20 years.

Dinosaur
08-18-2006, 06:09 PM
What is "Lightweight" in the strongmen competition ? 205 lbs. ?

Depends on the contest. There's under-175, 176-200, and 200-231 in most competitions. Sometimes they stick 200-231 into MW. I think for WSM its under 231 though.

WillKuenzel
08-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Most powerlifters look like they've been bulking for about 20 years.
Yeah, those super heavy weights might have been. For all the 10 or so odd weight classes below that, they don't look quite like that. So 10% of powerlifters is "most." Learn a thing or 2, before you post ridiculous comments.

TommyBoy
08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Well, as a powerlifter myself I can relate to this topic. When I started powerlifting, I wanted brute strength. Then I realized I was always gonna be a big guy, so why not get bigger. Basically I got caught up in the size game and kept on getting bigger and bigger. My last competition in December, I found myself force feeding myself in order to get that proper bloat in order for my gear to fit tighter and basically in order to move the most weight possible. Not that I counted, but I would consume anywhere from 8000-12000 calories per day. I was on a see-food diet....I see food, I eat it! My main staples were lot's and lot's of chicken and rice, and pizza. I was into the size game so bad, I would drink 6 litres of pure gatorade (not the powder mix) the night before my bench workout, in order to get the proper bloat. Once I topped out at 355 lbs. bwt, I knew that this was my limit. Yes I held the weight fairly good, but this was not good for my health. I would sweat a lot; when I woke up, when I walked up stairs, when I ate food, whenever. Then my blood pressure started to climb a bit, and I felt that the size game was not worth it. Now I'm down to 305 and feel great, and am actually getting stronger.

So yes powerlifters need weight in order to move weight, but when it becomes a matter of risking your own health and well-being in order to squat more than your competitors, is it really worth it? I say no.

SkinnySadMan
08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I have this buddy of mine who is like 250 lbs. he is not like flabby fat but he just got like a belly (even then he just looks plain big in clothes).

I always tell him to take up powerlifting...he'd be a beast. He already is.

droman
08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
The world strongest man the past three years Mariusz Pudzianowski is cut this guy is a freak of nature. http://www.realdutchpower.nl/nieuwsoverzicht2003/mariusz3.jpg

drew
08-24-2006, 10:02 PM
I feel like I should be around 250, so I'm going to keep gaining weight until I get there. My plan is to get there in 18 months or so. Once I get to where I want to be, I'll worry about how much fat I'm carrying.

body
08-26-2006, 04:35 AM
Well, as a powerlifter myself I can relate to this topic. When I started powerlifting, I wanted brute strength. Then I realized I was always gonna be a big guy, so why not get bigger. Basically I got caught up in the size game and kept on getting bigger and bigger. My last competition in December, I found myself force feeding myself in order to get that proper bloat in order for my gear to fit tighter and basically in order to move the most weight possible. Not that I counted, but I would consume anywhere from 8000-12000 calories per day. I was on a see-food diet....I see food, I eat it! My main staples were lot's and lot's of chicken and rice, and pizza. I was into the size game so bad, I would drink 6 litres of pure gatorade (not the powder mix) the night before my bench workout, in order to get the proper bloat. Once I topped out at 355 lbs. bwt, I knew that this was my limit. Yes I held the weight fairly good, but this was not good for my health. I would sweat a lot; when I woke up, when I walked up stairs, when I ate food, whenever. Then my blood pressure started to climb a bit, and I felt that the size game was not worth it. Now I'm down to 305 and feel great, and am actually getting stronger.

So yes powerlifters need weight in order to move weight, but when it becomes a matter of risking your own health and well-being in order to squat more than your competitors, is it really worth it? I say no.

what did you lift when you were at your max weight?

chris mason
08-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Most powerlifters who are not in the 308+ class cut weight just prior to a contest (although this may involve more water weight than fat for many). The lighter lifters tend to be quite lean because fat will not help them in their weight classes.

drew
08-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Check out the article Matt Kroczaleski did on cutting weight. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cutting_weight.htm

Westsidemonster
09-10-2006, 04:03 AM
The world strongest man the past three years Mariusz Pudzianowski is cut this guy is a freak of nature. http://www.realdutchpower.nl/nieuwsoverzicht2003/mariusz3.jpg
Very good point! There's a big misconception, a lot of people think being a bodybuilder means being cut and shredded, and being a powerlifter means being fat and bloated. Nothing could be further from the truth. Mariusz is not a powerlifter, but he is a strength athlete, and he is very lean. I remember seeing this guy who was a powerlifter, right before he was going to lift in a compettion, he looked like he had 4% bf! I mean, he was so lean! There was no fat anywhere, he took off his shirt, and you could see every single ab muscle, his back was just crazy, and this little guy was maybe 5'3'', at a bodyweight of 143lbs or something, but he looked huge! He was superstrong too, lifting 500+ on the deadlift. I personally have a low bodyfat level, my accu-measure calipers claim I have 6% bodyfat, and I have a six pack and serratus muscles, and I'm a powerlifter. Fat doesn't help you lift any heavier, muscle does!

Sleepy Guy
09-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I train with about 8 light weight power lifter and most of them are cut. The extra mass will help you lift more raw pounds but change the weight class.

I comes down to different core training going from bodybuilding to power lifting.