PDA

View Full Version : Strict bulking diet...

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm not very smart when it comes to dieting. I somehow always slip up and tell myself at the time its ok to eat something thats not so healthy and end up regreting it later. My last bulk had me fat, and my cut didnt go so good either. Thats all about to end, and I would like some help. I'm 19, 6'2", 190 ibs with about 2 solid years of training under my belt. First off how do most of you advanced lifters/eaters out there make a diet plan? Do you eat the same stuff day in and day out, or make more of a weekly diet plan? I really dont care if I eat the same stuff everyday, as long as it is exactly the right amount of macros. This leads me to my next question of what would be the best bet on percentages of fat, carbs, and protein for a bulking diet? Any tips would be greatly appreciated... Also if anyone out there would be willing to help me create a diet plan that would be awesome too.. I am completely motivated and willing to do whatever it takes to reach my goals.

Unreal
08-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I eat different stuff daily. Eating the same thing over and over is boring. As Built would say, stop thinking in % and start thinking about dosing. Get atleast 1g/lbm of protein, .5g of fat/lbm and fill the rest with whatever you want. If your bulking the just start adding calories till your gaining the weight you want at the pace you want. As for food choice, goto the thread "what a body builder eats" and pick a combo of those foods to meet your macros.

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 01:50 PM
I get 1.5g/lbm of protein and now that I look back at a couple days of my fitday I'm getting almost exactly .5g/lbm of fat. It just seems to easy for those to be the only two variables to worry about, that and how many cals of course.

Vapour Trails
08-17-2006, 02:38 PM
If you are concerned with gaining excess fat, I think the key is avoid saturated and Trans fats. A recent experienment in monkeys demostrated that monkeys gained weight when trans fat was added to their diet, even though they still ate the same number of calories as before the addition of the trans fat. This extra fat was deposited right around the monkeys midsection. Basically, this lent to the argument of eating clean. It does matter where the calories come from because the body does not process all incoming energy the same way, especially when it comes to fats. My hypothesis is trans fats are not recognized by biosynthetic enzymes, so they aren't used for anabolism of say, cellular membranes. If there is no immediate need for the energy they contain, they go straight to fat cells for storage.

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 03:35 PM
If you are concerned with gaining excess fat, I think the key is avoid saturated and Trans fats. A recent experienment in monkeys demostrated that monkeys gained weight when trans fat was added to their diet, even though they still ate the same number of calories as before the addition of the trans fat. This extra fat was deposited right around the monkeys midsection. Basically, this lent to the argument of eating clean. It does matter where the calories come from because the body does not process all incoming energy the same way, especially when it comes to fats. My hypothesis is trans fats are not recognized by biosynthetic enzymes, so they aren't used for anabolism of say, cellular membranes. If there is no immediate need for the energy they contain, they go straight to fat cells for storage.
Sorry I didnt specify that one of my biggest concerns is fat gain at this point, which is basically why I started this thread. You made a good point though, which makes me wonder how much sat. and trans fat would be acceptable on a daily basis?

Jorge Sanchez
08-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Nutrition guidlines suggest no more than 10% of total energy from saturated fat. I try to eliminate as much saturated and tran-fat as possible -- it's just not good for you.

smalls
08-17-2006, 04:32 PM

That sounds like an interesting study. But I think it borders on insanity when people lump trans fats and saturated fats in the same group. They are very very different from a health perspective.

To the OP, I find it easiest to eat the same things but everyone will vary. NOTHING matters nearly as much as total caloric intake, you can get fat on anything if you overeat it. Calories are king.

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 05:21 PM
To the OP, I find it easiest to eat the same things but everyone will vary. NOTHING matters nearly as much as total caloric intake, you can get fat on anything if you overeat it. Calories are king.
I'm just curious, what exactly do you eat everyday?

Jorge Sanchez
08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
That sounds like an interesting study. But I think it borders on insanity when people lump trans fats and saturated fats in the same group. They are very very different from a health perspective.

How are they so different. Structurally, they are very similar, are they not?

Built
08-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Cis and trans are the formations of these molecules. The cis formation is natural. Trans is not, and the body doesn't recognize what to do with fat molecules of this shape - they're basically plastic.

(and before someone calls me on it, yes, I'm aware that there are some natural trans fats that are actually beneficial - CLA for example)

smalls
08-17-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm just curious, what exactly do you eat everyday?

3 scoops of whey
1 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon olive oil

7 times daily, I leave out the olive oil here and there.

(usually I add milk but lately as my calories have dropped i've left the milk out as it is the most expensive food item I take in)

Jorge I think built covered that one just fine. Structurally lots of things are similar but they cause very different reactions or are processed in different ways. I believe it's the shape of trans fats that differentiates them and not the structure.

Davidelmo
08-17-2006, 08:35 PM
3 scoops of whey
1 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon olive oil

(usually I add milk but lately as my calories have dropped i've left the milk out as it is the most expensive food item I take in)

Jorge I think built covered that one just fine. Structurally lots of things are similar but they cause very different reactions or are processed in different ways. I believe it's the shape of trans fats that differentiates them and not the structure.

Holy crap.. you're STILL doing that liquid diet? I remember you posting about it months ago and how you get 400g protein a day, right? It must be working pretty well then!
Is it going ok? I dont have the biggest appetite and I dont eat for fun, but I think i'd go insane on nothing but shakes!

smalls
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Holy crap.. you're STILL doing that liquid diet? I remember you posting about it months ago and how you get 400g protein a day, right? It must be working pretty well then!
Is it going ok? I dont have the biggest appetite and I dont eat for fun, but I think i'd go insane on nothing but shakes!

You get used to it, plus it's so cheap it's hard to pass up. I'm moving to L.A. for grad school and for my birthday my girlfriends parents got me 4 liters of extra virgin olive oil and a 50lb bag of oats, lol. They know i'm dirt poor and I love not spending money on food.

Some people have either digestive problems with so much whey or mental problems not chewing but I love it. Eating the way I do just makes it so much easier. But I do usually eat out once or twice a week plus meals my girl makes me once or twice a week.

Darcy Tucker
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
Smalls you are eating 7 cups of oatmeal a day?

Slim Schaedle
08-17-2006, 09:40 PM
for my birthday my girlfriends parents got me 4 liters of extra virgin olive oil and a 50lb bag of oats.
Until I find a girl whose parents would do the same (much less a girl who would understand it), it's the single life for me.

smalls
08-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Smalls you are eating 7 cups of oatmeal a day?

Yes.

Until I find a girl whose parents would do the same (much less a girl who would understand it), it's the single life for me.

It took a while but I finally found a girl who not only understands it but even bought me a portable mini blender so I can make my shakes in the car when we go out. Plus she puts more effort in the gym than 99% of they guys in there. I get a woody just thinkin about it.

It doesnt hurt that her parents think i'm awesome too. Good people. Thanks for reminding me how good I have it Slim.

Unreal
08-17-2006, 10:49 PM
You lucky bastard. She is probably one of the coolest chicks I've met. If I can find one 1/2 as cool that isn't into 50 year old men I would be set.

jAy_Dub
08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
3 scoops of whey
1 cup oatmeal
1 tablespoon olive oil

Wow thats crazy. I have considered all liquid diets before, but have yet to try it. My shakes are just like yours but with 2 tablespoons natty pb added. Are the results worth it? I would really love to get used to something like that because its so simple.

Sidior
08-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Yes.

It took a while but I finally found a girl who not only understands it but even bought me a portable mini blender so I can make my shakes in the car when we go out. Plus she puts more effort in the gym than 99% of they guys in there. I get a woody just thinkin about it.

It doesnt hurt that her parents think i'm awesome too. Good people. Thanks for reminding me how good I have it Slim.

whaaat? where can I find such a thing?

seK
08-17-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.autobarn.net/vec239.html

smalls
08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
You lucky bastard. She is probably one of the coolest chicks I've met. If I can find one 1/2 as cool that isn't into 50 year old men I would be set.

LOL, thanks man I appreciate it.

Wow thats crazy. I have considered all liquid diets before, but have yet to try it. My shakes are just like yours but with 2 tablespoons natty pb added. Are the results worth it? I would really love to get used to something like that because its so simple.

For me it's worth it because I hate eating and up until 2 months ago I was working full time, going to school full time and preparing for grad school. It just makes everything easier and faster, you can get the results with most anything. Most people would probably do better on a mixed diet (part liquid, part solid) ya never know till ya try it. Mine just evolved that way out of necessity.

Sek had a good one, but the one she got is even better, it's about half the size and the blender becomes the cup. I think she got it at wal-mart for 17 buck but then she had to get an inverter for the plug.

Sidior
08-18-2006, 10:37 AM
awesome stuff, thanks guys! I'm going to hit walmart up tomorrow.

ray34iyf
01-13-2007, 09:54 AM
*bump*
Wow, that liquid diet may just be the ticket. Simple, cheap, healthy. Daaamn, this might be perfect for a poor college kid like me!

Unholy
01-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Yup and you don't get the bloat from eating that much solid food.

ray34iyf
01-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Might it be a good idea to take fish tabs or flax or something. Maybe throw some veggies in there? Or is it fine the way it is?

Holto
01-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Might it be a good idea to take fish tabs?

Very.

Add some veggies and it's quite healthy.