PDA

View Full Version : energy before lifting

homeboy7600
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Before i lift i usually have a protein shake, but i still feel tired and out of energy while lifting. Is there is something i can eat before i lift to give me an up on energy while i lift?

Unreal
08-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Caffeine. Ephedra. Some other stimulant of your choice.

TwiloMike
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
some carbs before you lift should help.

getfit
08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Caffeine. Ephedra. Some other stimulant of your choice.
this for sure will help!

RedSpikeyThing
08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Stimulants and try adding some carbs to your shake.

Ricochet_kid
08-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Eating carbs an hour or two before seems to make a difference for me. I tried one or two kinds of those energy drinks, and I had tonnes of energy for like 20 minutes then I felt burnt out after that. What goes up must come down. Maybe it's just me, but overall, I don't think it helped. Maybe if there's one lift you're trying to break a plateau on?..

I think those stimulants lose their effectiveness after a little while too, your body adapts to them. I've heard that anyway, I haven't used them for long enough to find out. (see above paragraph)

Also, if you've started cutting, or if you're not eating enough generally your energy levels will suffer.

Or maybe you're not sleeping enough..

Or maybe you're doing cardio before weights you'll find that you won't have as much energy to lift, because you're spending too much energy on the cardio..

Maybe your workout is too long?

Maybe you're overtraining and not giving your muscles adequate recuperation time?

I guess it could be a number of things.

To be thorough I should probably check some of your other posts to see if there is an indication of any of the above, but I'm feeling tired and out of energy. ;)

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 06:06 PM
If I start to get worn out I just punch a wall really, really hard. Works to perk up my energy levels every time.

My pre-wo meals tend to be lunch six and a half hours before.

Ricochet_kid
08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
If I start to get worn out I just punch a wall really, really hard. Works to perk up my energy levels every time.

That is so stupid it surpises me a little. I used to know someone when I was in primary school who did that, and I thought it was just as stupid then.

Give me a break.

ShockBoxer
08-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Back when I was a security guard and a wanna-be fighter I would pound the living hell out of the marble pillar in the lobby so I'm not about to break my hand or anything. What's wrong with a little adrenaline to carry you through?

Paladyr
08-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Before i lift i usually have a protein shake, but i still feel tired and out of energy while lifting. Is there is something i can eat before i lift to give me an up on energy while i lift?

You'll feel tired if you haven't eaten enough calories before lifting. Here's what I eat before lifting:

1 hr. before: 2 slices of wheat bread (you could eat oats or something too).
15min before: 20g of dextrose + 1/4 scoop of whey

I'm still tweaking my pre-workout meal but this one made me feel great. I previously was drinking the dextrose + whey an hour before working out and it made me feel like I had a sugar rush within 15 minutes or so and by the time I got to the gym I felt like I was coming down from it.