PDA

View Full Version : Need help training for a 10K

Geeper
08-17-2006, 03:03 PM
OK, I'm NOT a very good runner/jogger, but I just signed up to do a 10K run for cancer research in about a month (the Terry Fox run on Sept 17th) and I'm suddenly doubting my ability to finish it as strong as I would like to. (especially since there will be a crowd watching) Right now I can go for about 30 minutes at 11km/h (7mph) before the walking intervals start, but I would LOVE to be able to run the whole thing and do my best for the folks who are gonna pledge money to me to do it.

I do realize this might set any muscle goals back a little, but I'll start my winter bulk as soon as I hit the finish line. All I really want to do is have a good, strong race for the cause.

ANY training ideas, running programs, tricks of jogging/running training etc that you have would be great! What worked for you and what didn't? Pain relief ideas would be great too, as I have arthritis in my legs that flares up when I do a lot of running.

ANY tips would be great

Bob
08-17-2006, 05:20 PM
What time do you want to finish the 10 k in? Be realistic.. since it's only one month away..

That that time and divide it by 25.. the number of laps it takes to get around a 400 meter track to total 10000 meters..

Then run 26 intervals around the track.. each in the time you have stated above.. with a 60 second rest between each.

Plan on doing at LEAST 12 running sessions between now and race day..
Each time, taking your rest period down by 5 seconds...

On your 12th session, you should be able to run the race on your track by the time you want...

Take 3 days off before your event... then the day before, go for a very light run - half speed, half the distance... and carbo load that night. You should be ready to go..

PS.. If during your first attempt you can not make the 25 laps in the time required with 60 seconds rest.. you may have set your goal time too low... you need to breach that first.

Good luck..

Geeper
08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm not really that concerned with the actual time, more makingit from start to finish without stopping

Great stuff though, anyone else at all?

UnknownSoldier
08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
well, I don't have any useful advice

BUT
I apploud you for your dedication to try to help a cause.

offhegoes03
08-18-2006, 06:38 AM
hmm, if your goal is to just finish, I suggest you just go out there and run. If you're not looking for speed, I don't see the point in doing a ton of intervals and speed work. Definitely run at least 4 times a week if not 5. Your body still needs rest, so I wouldn't go above 5 days a week. In addition, vary your running speed. Try one day for 40 minutes at a fairly slow speed. The next day only go 20-30 minutes and at a slightly faster speed. The important thing for a race is to pace yourself. Doing these runs should hopefully give you an idea of how fast you can go without getting too tired. The worst thing is to go out too fast and get a cramp/die (not literally) and not be able to finish the race. Remember to drink tons of water and like bearwolf mentioned, carbo load the night before. The morning of the race, make sure you do not have any milk. A bagel or two about 2 hours before a race shouldn't be too bad. It's been a long time since I've ran competitively, but hope some of this helps.

ectx
08-18-2006, 07:50 AM
first off, forget about your times. You will not be able to keep a 7 minute mile pace for 6 miles without training. Focus on endurance. Get yourself a stop watch, and pace yourself. A classic long distance program has you running about 3 miles 2-3 times a week, 6 miles 2 times a weel, and running 8-10 once a week. Keep in mind these are TRAINING RUNS. You're not going for speed, and in a way you're not even going for distance. You're going for time. If you can run for a solid hour at a casual pace you will be able to complete a 10 K with time to spare in about one hour. Aim for running for about an hour twice a week and about 1.5 hours once a week. You don't have much time to build up to this so I'd say stick with the 3-6 mile runs the first week and add the 8 mile run on weeks 2-3. Skip it on week 4 as that will be the week of your race. Also, keep in mind you're not racing to win. You're racing to finish. Something to keep you going or make running the longer runs during your training easier is to stop and rest for a few minutes every couple of miles and get some water or stretch. Just pause your stop watch so that you record your time accurately. You want total running time, not total time. This will help you add the endurance you eventually need to complete the 10 K.

Once you get to the 10K, get there early and start walking then do a light jog before the race starts. Then stretch. You want to warm up your muscles before you start that race. It's a very necessary thing and will make things easier for you. Also, eat something...nothing heavy! An apple and some light cereal are usually good bets...do this way before it starts. You do not want to run with food sloshing around inside you for over an hour.

Also, you'll have a million water stops. Be careful with them. Take a sip and throw the cup away. I made the mistake of drinking as much as I could at every water stop my first run. I was also running on an empty stomach so the water in my stomach couldn't get absorbed well...by the time mile 5 hit I could feel it swishing around in my stomach. It was horrible! I crossed the finish line and immediately puked...and that was my finish line picture. LOL. Brilliant! I finish my first 10K and hurl about 2 liters of water out on the road. You could hear gasps, LOL. Anyhow, that's my advice to you...hit me up on PMs if you want more.

Geeper
08-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Holy crap that's some good stuff!

Carb loading the day before... I'm guessing that's healthy carbs oats, sweet potatoe etc and not dounuts.... pasta?

offhegoes03
08-18-2006, 11:19 AM
pasta's good too.. i ate just regular pasta the night before races, but I'm sure whole wheat pasta is healthier.

laxguy1028
08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
If it is a charity run then i wouldnt really worry about time, by running that much it will hurt your lifting.

Maki Riddington
08-19-2006, 12:11 PM
If you had more time I'd suggest working on increasing your power endurance and maximal strength. I usually get runners to do specific circuits during a power endurance phase and some heavy lifting during a maximal strength phase.

You also have to learn to apply this new strength so a period of work where you'd do circuits that focus on full body movements and mobility work at the hips, torso and shoulder are incorperated.

Geeper
08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
OK, I'm not in such a panic anymore... did a run this morning that ended up to be 10K. First 40 minutes was a pretty good steady pace and then a few walking intervals started, but I was impressed I got to the 40 minute mark before I had to "catch my breath" so to speak. I think it was more I slipped mentally suddenly and just started walking. Door to door was almost exactly 10K and I did it in an hour.

So I guess what I'm training to do at this point is to cut out the walking intervals after 40 minutes and my time should be OK. I imagine the other runners help keep you motivated to continue moving too? If I can just keep moving I'll be fine I think

laxguy1028
08-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Adrenaline will kick in, your race times will most likley be faster