PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a Shot Put!

Sensei
08-19-2006, 12:08 AM
This makes me want to go out and buy a shot put!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6F6Ttb8Fkw&search=kettlebell

Goodwinm
08-19-2006, 02:59 AM
cool vid man. I love shot put and i love discus throwing!
They can really help in strength gaining. And also co-ordination and balance. It's all good.
Yoo ever thrown a shot pur or discus man?

Sensei
08-19-2006, 09:02 PM
cool vid man. I love shot put and i love discus throwing!
They can really help in strength gaining. And also co-ordination and balance. It's all good.
Yoo ever thrown a shot pur or discus man?
Have I ever thrown one? Yes. Did I do it competitively? No. Could I have been competitive if I had? Not a chance in he**.

Anthony
08-20-2006, 06:12 AM
Very cool.

Clifford Gillmore
08-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I liken it to medicine ball work, but its nice and small so you can do some more technical stuff.

I'll see if I can mould up a 10lbs one..

WBBIRL
08-20-2006, 08:28 AM
We used to play catch with them in highschool.

Me and my cousin... they made us rake the pit and measure for the girls so we said F that and just ignored them and played catch with their 8 pound shot from about 15 - 20 feet apart.

I hated discus however, I've never broken 100 yards because I could never get the form down.

Clifford Gillmore
08-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I think the best I did in HS was a 15m 'light' shot put throw and a 30 something m discuss. Not a record or anything, I don't think I ever won a single sporting event!

Goodwinm
08-21-2006, 01:01 AM
We used to play catch with them in highschool.

Me and my cousin... they made us rake the pit and measure for the girls so we said F that and just ignored them and played catch with their 8 pound shot from about 15 - 20 feet apart.

I hated discus however, I've never broken 100 yards because I could never get the form down.
Haha did the same thing man :p

100 yards man. u sure? lol. A bit too long there.

bloodninja
08-21-2006, 02:40 AM
I wonder how many times that guy has smashed his toes.

I threw a shotput once in 4th grade for some lame gym test, I think it went about 8 feet. Impressive eh?

Goodwinm
08-21-2006, 03:21 AM
I wonder how many times that guy has smashed his toes.

I threw a shotput once in 4th grade for some lame gym test, I think it went about 8 feet. Impressive eh?
4th grade. props for even holding it man! thats about 2.5 metres. Tis quite impressive.
My record shot is about 13 metres (42 feet) (with bad technique) lol. Did that when I was 16 at school.

Goodwinm
08-21-2006, 03:28 AM
I was just thinking. Isnt it strange. For most of the WBB members. We are using very heavy weights in training.
with 400lb benching, 600lb deadlifting and 400lb squats. Aswel as other big numbers in other exercises such as Rowing, mil pressing. And yet to push a 16lb (heaviest shot put) proves to be such a challenge to the human body. 16lbs. Its nothing lol. Or at least it should be.
Just kind of tickled me a bit to think that people can lift so much weight and press it and what not. I know with shot put the technique has to be nailed. As is the discuss and the javelin. And I'll mention that the world record for discusss is actually held by a woman and not a man ;)

Clifford Gillmore
08-23-2006, 08:51 AM
I was just thinking. Isnt it strange. For most of the WBB members. We are using very heavy weights in training.
with 400lb benching, 600lb deadlifting and 400lb squats. Aswel as other big numbers in other exercises such as Rowing, mil pressing. And yet to push a 16lb (heaviest shot put) proves to be such a challenge to the human body. 16lbs. Its nothing lol. Or at least it should be.
Just kind of tickled me a bit to think that people can lift so much weight and press it and what not. I know with shot put the technique has to be nailed. As is the discuss and the javelin. And I'll mention that the world record for discusss is actually held by a woman and not a man ;)

I'll hint you towards body mechanics and decelleration training, the human body slows down the faster you try to move it ;)

Sensei
09-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Jeff Martone (the guy who was doing the shot put stuff) is a nut! Granted, it's probably a 30ish pound KB, but he's pretty amazing: http://tacticalathlete.com/h2hintro.mov

Sensei
09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
More flipping of a heavier KB (The Diesel Crew): http://youtube.com/watch?v=ClwQ7s1HDw8

These guys are monsters!

nhlfan
09-25-2006, 05:16 PM
More flipping of a heavier KB (The Diesel Crew): http://youtube.com/watch?v=ClwQ7s1HDw8

These guys are monsters!
inhuman :strong:

Fuzzy
11-04-2006, 06:26 AM
Putting is fun. I went out, grabbed metal ball, and threw it with pretty rought tech.

I was happy with 15 meters

ShockBoxer
11-04-2006, 06:50 AM
15 meters is farther than I can throw a baseball. I *SUCK* at throwing. Nobody ever taught me how so I just give it my all with my shoulder, back, whatever, feel a tonne of force rip through said muscle groups painfully, and watch the ball go exactly nowhere. I can underhand toss a rock into the water at a beach that's twice as heavy farther than I can throw a baseball.

Guido
11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Putting is fun. I went out, grabbed metal ball, and threw it with pretty rought tech.

I was happy with 15 metersHow heavy was the shotput you threw? Must have been a high school version otherwise there is no way you threw 15 meters with poor technique.