PDA

View Full Version : DDR as HIIT?

VikingWarlord
08-20-2006, 08:00 AM
If you're familiar with the game Dance Dance Revolution, might it be possible to work that into an actual HIIT plan for someone? I know some people that want to start getting in some kind of shape but have a hard time getting motivated.

I've been considering suggesting they play DDR for a half hour a day or something, since the nature of it seems like it could be easily turned into an interval training program. Each song is about 1.5-2 minutes long, and you have a break of about 40 seconds between them. Once you get past the easy stages when you learn the mechanics and get your coordination down, it's quite the workout to play through 15 songs or so.

This was a thought I had when I was a bit inebriated and thought I'd run it by people that have some kind of clue as to what they're doing.

Anthony
08-20-2006, 08:05 AM
I guess ... although I'd rather see someone use full ROM movements rather than tap dancing.

VikingWarlord
08-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I guess ... although I'd rather see someone use full ROM movements rather than tap dancing.

Agreed, but everyone's gotta start somewhere, no?

Clifford Gillmore
08-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Agreed, but everyone's gotta start somewhere, no?

How easy can it be?

Start of with a 5 minute session, cycling between 30 second intervals of walking and sprinting. Add another 1 minute cycle every other to third session, assuming you are doing this 3 times a week.

Tabata is a great protocol to start with, IMO, just pick a challenge exercise and weight and tabata it!

VikingWarlord
08-20-2006, 09:28 AM
How easy can it be?

Start of with a 5 minute session, cycling between 30 second intervals of walking and sprinting. Add another 1 minute cycle every other to third session, assuming you are doing this 3 times a week.

Tabata is a great protocol to start with, IMO, just pick a challenge exercise and weight and tabata it!

I agree with the idea. I haven't used that yet because, frankly, I'm still getting back into the swing of things myself. Mostly it was a drunken idea to try to get other people off the friggin' couch and doing something with themselves.

I should probably just shut up until I know what I'm doing.