PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxing

Foggy06
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
hey i was wandering if i could get everyones help and advice on this
does anyone do kickboxing or boxing?if so i was looking at doing either of them but im not sure which one.Which would keep me more fit or which one would help me with fighting skills in general.i recently went to a kickboxing place near my home and to be honest i was a little dissapointed with it.there was no equipment like heavybags or anything.It was basically just like a hall.what do normal boxin/kickboxin gyms look like?
Also im 16 and i weigh 11 stone.i have been lifting weights for six months.Is there any specific weights i should do for fighting?
thanks

Chaos229
08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I train in Muay Thai(kickboxing) and my gym has a ring, a lot of bags, including what we call the stone bag, kicking it at the bottom is like kicking concrete. I also do Jiu-jitsu as well always good to know how to take it to the ground as well. Kickboxing is a great way to stay in shape, plus you get the best of both worlds learn kicks and punches. But you need to find a good place with good trainers it took me a while to find mine, but once I did it was well worth it.

Foggy06
08-24-2006, 07:04 PM
anyone else??

Detard
08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
bah. i would type something up but weve gone over this 100 times. just search man. most people dont like typing the same thing over and over.

Fighter4Life88
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
You should do olympic lifting mixed with powerlifting. I would take kickboxing because a boxing stance becomes useless in mma. Also Boxing teaches you alot of bad habits like ducking down and tipping your head side from side, where if you did those things in mma you would catch a knee or shin to the face.

PUMPER
09-04-2006, 07:36 PM
I can't resist this one. Boxing has and always will be the best base to learn to fight. If you start learning kickboxing first you will not be a good boxer. Start by joining a hard core boxing gym where you will learn the basics of protecting your head and proper technique when throwing a punch. When you learn to fight by having good balance and proper form then you can move on to learning kicks or martial arts ect. Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion as a boxer. You can make up your own mind. You will find you will get a great workout from skippin rope, running and hitting the bag as well.
"PUMP"

Xand
09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
i train Muay Thai & Hagganah. IMO learning to use your hands and feet at the same time is very important. If you have a good coach, there shouldn't be a problem. Olympic Lifitning and cable work simulating your techniques is very important in developing power and speed.

Good luck

McVein
09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
im sure you could find some serious boxing gyms around town, boxing is more popular in dublin then kickboxing i'd say....whereabouts are u living?

KingJustin
09-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Choose the one with the best trainers.

Foggy06
09-23-2006, 03:51 PM
bah. i would type something up but weve gone over this 100 times. just search man. most people dont like typing the same thing over and over.

Youve gone over my question a 100 times.no you havent maybe some bits but i asked what boxing gyms are meant 2 look like????????so instead of writing a pointless comment like Bah why dont you just help or shut up
thank you

Reala
09-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Okiez... I will answer in as much detail as I can for you mate.

Kickboxing is probably the most cardio demanding sport you will ever do, it involves a lot of fitness training, you can go in as fit as your grandma and in 2/3 months be a pretty fit person. It is amazing for losing weight, increasing speed and enabling your legs / arms to increase in flexibility at a rate you probably didn't think possible.

As for the sport itself, it is a good challenge for any one to take up. Not only is it physically demanding, it is mentally tough. You can drop out at 10 press ups and your trainer probably won't say anything, but he will continue with the rest of the group through to 50, you have to push yourself, and this is much easier in a group enviroment, as you don't want to be seen to be the one dropping out.

You will learn some powerful stuff, some high kicks which within 3/4 months will probably be around head height and you will be shocked. You will learn basic punching and defence from punches and kicks, blocks, jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, body shots, etc. So as a general fighting / defence system it really works.

As for what the typical gym looks like, it will usually have a huge thick padded matt on the ground (for if you fall / want to learn breakfalls / mma) and have between 5-20 bags depending on the size. I think the 'concrete bag' the above user was describing is the bag that is there in which the concrete represents the hips (you do not want to hit) and then it softens in the middle to represent the torso / stomach... your target area. And then above that is you are pretty good is a harder area again which represents a head. Usually there will be a ring for a realistic sparring experience.

My main advice to you mate, if you want to take it up, take it up. Don't think "I have to get fit first" That is stupid... you have to go to the classes to get fit. Don't think "I will get hurt" because you might get the rare hit to the face during sparring, but you will give out a lot as well, over time you get hit less and it is great to know you are improving. Don't think "People will laugh at me if I suck" No one will... most clubs have new starters who join and most drop out because they find it hard... stick with it and people will respect you trying to learn.

Hope that helps, now get your ass to the club, join and get training :)

Foggy06
09-23-2006, 04:41 PM
That was the best reply i ever got.cheers

Reala
09-23-2006, 04:55 PM
:D No problem mate, any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)

You in Europe or USA out of interest?

Foggy06
09-24-2006, 07:20 AM
:D No problem mate, any other questions don't hesitate to ask :)

You in Europe or USA out of interest?

Im from Ireland

Reala
09-24-2006, 11:02 AM
okiez, was gonna invite you to our club one day if you were in South England :P Anyways, find a local club and get training.

As I said, any questions just ask :)

rugby1001
10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
I train in Muay Thai(kickboxing) and my gym has a ring, a lot of bags, including what we call the stone bag, kicking it at the bottom is like kicking concrete. I also do Jiu-jitsu as well always good to know how to take it to the ground as well. Kickboxing is a great way to stay in shape, plus you get the best of both worlds learn kicks and punches. But you need to find a good place with good trainers it took me a while to find mine, but once I did it was well worth it.
bump on that all u need is muay thai and jiu jitsu(brazilian) its one of the best combos for fighting

Reala
10-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Ok... finally have a weight program sorted out. I went for middle/high reps, I read alot and I mean a lot of arguments between low reps for strength and explosivness versus muscle cardio wise and faster punches. I decdied middle range reps were for me, because I am already 155, so I don't want a huge increase in mass, I want to lean out and increase my stamina / punching speed. Let me know what you think... it sounds quite a lot, but I will probably be doing this in the morning at about 8am/9am and then my cardio / lessons at the end of the day, about 6pm/7pm

Triceps, Biceps and Upper Back Workout - Sunday & Wednesday

Dumbbell Curl 4 x 20
Hammer Curl 4 x 20
Preacher Curl 4 x 10
Cable Curls 4 x 20
Pull-ups 4 x 10
Standing Cable Rows 4 x 20
Sitting Cable Rows 4 x15
Cable Pull Downs 4 x 15
Rope Pull Downs 4 x 15
Lay Down Pullover 4 x 10
Elbow Extensions 4 x 20
Bar Dips 4 x 10

Chest, Shoulders and Lower Back Workout - Monday & Thursday

Dumbbell Fly 4 x 10
Incline Dumbbell Fly 4 x 10
Flat Bench Press 4 x 10
Incline Bench Press 4 x 10
Military Dumbbell Press 4 x 10
Fly Extension 4 x 10
Straight Arm Extension 4 x 10
Back Ups 4 x 15
Back Extension 4 x 15

Leg Workout - Tuesday & Friday

Name of exercise Technique Sets Reps
Weighted Squats 4 x 10
Leg Press 4 x 10
Hamstring Curls 4 x 10
Weighted Lunges 4 x 20
Leg Extensions 4 x 10

Abdominal workout - Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Weighted decline hip rotations:
Decline bench with 5 10 pounds on each arm. Switch right weight to left knee, left weight to right knee. 4 sets of 25x2 repetitions.

Ring & medicine ball sit ups:
Medicine ball sit up off the edge of the ring, catching medicine ball as someone throws it to you, as you do a sit up down off the ring, throwing the ball up as you come up. 4 sets of 25 repetitions.

Reala
10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
This is my heavy bag routine, it is basically a third boxing, a third kickboxing and a third MMA. The boxing in just punches, the kickboxing is also knees and kicks and the MMA includes sprawls. There is a 1 minute break between rounds... Technique is not overly important, it is more for speed / power / cardio.

This is my plan leading up to the fight:

Week 1 - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
9 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins
9 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins
12 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins

Week 2 - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
15 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins
15 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins
18 x 2 mins & 1 x 40 mins

Week 3 - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday