PDA

View Full Version : Cooking meat in a skillet...

gator
08-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to broaden my cooking skills...i attempted to cook a chicken breast in the skillet today and the middle just took forever too cook. Also the chicken sat in a marinade before going into the skillet and the hottness of the skillet blackened the marinade, I actually like the outside blackened, but for people who dont would you adivse to not marinate meat before cooking in a skillet? Or should I just turn down the heat, It tooks about 10 minutes+ to cook the chicken on med-Hi heat. .What would you recommed for cooking fish and chicken in a skillet in terms of how to seaon and at what temperature.

bL33d
08-20-2006, 03:06 PM
LOL cook before you are starving so you dont try to cook chicken in 10 minutes :P

Medium heat for a longer period of time..

Built
08-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Pound the chicken flat between two sheets of plastic wrap with a mallet or some other heavy flat object.

Cooks very fast that way, stays nice and juicy.

VikingWarlord
08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Built is dead on. The thinner the piece, the shorter the cook time. Cook over medium heat so the outside and inside get done in roughly the same time.

I also believe that if you're using good quality meat, marinating is not necessary. Nice now and again, but definitely not needed.

Also, for fish, don't marinate it at all. A tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, medium heat, throw in the fish, toss on some salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic seasoning. Flip, repeat, fish is done when it flakes with a fork. I just made some tilapia that way tonight. Still have 2 filets left I'm going to use for lunch tomorrow.

Bruise Brubaker
08-20-2006, 05:15 PM
I didn't even know you could cook a chicken outside of the oven!