PDA

View Full Version : question about HIIT

Spourk
08-20-2006, 09:47 PM
i know what it is.... but what excercises fall under this category?

CODmasterJYK
08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
A number of different exercises can be used for HIIT.

Read all about it right here.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

There are a variety of variations of HIIT. This website shows you one way to do it. In this version, you're supposed to jog for 30 seconds, then sprint for 30 seconds, and keep alternating. Remember to pace yourself. If you can't do that for too long, try following this schedule:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

CODmasterJYK
08-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Btw, try doing a search before you post questions. I remember this question being asked before.

Well, best of luck!

Spourk
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
sorry i dont know why i didnt search ... blah damn me for adding uneccessary threads.. anyways , Thank You for the link im gunna start that this week :)

seK
08-21-2006, 02:07 AM
I found swimming is the best for me, time just seems to fly by. Keep in mind you will need a waterproof watch.

MalteseAnimal
09-18-2006, 03:23 PM
A number of different exercises can be used for HIIT.

Read all about it right here.

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

There are a variety of variations of HIIT. This website shows you one way to do it. In this version, you're supposed to jog for 30 seconds, then sprint for 30 seconds, and keep alternating. Remember to pace yourself. If you can't do that for too long, try following this schedule:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

I was just about to ask... (then searched :clap: ) but.. what do you guys think of this HIIT table? I am thinking of starting it shortly.

Also, what do you think of the advice on the site (HIIT in the morning is better, etc).

Thank you

JoeG
09-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I do HIIT as part of my training but I don't think I could really sprint for 30 seconds.

If you can really sprint for that long then I don't see a problem with it but I think a good number of people might have trouble all out sprinting for 30 seconds.

I did 10 or 11 rounds of 15 second sprints with 40 seconds recovery last week and I came to in my yard with the neighbors cat licking my arm.

However you do it HIIT will do you good.

Anthony
09-19-2006, 06:30 AM
JoeG is right, a 30 second sprint is a bit much. 10 seconds sprint, 20 seconds rest is a pretty good place to start out. Or you could go insane with tabata and do 20 seconds sprint and 10 seconds rest. Four minutes of that is enough to make most people want to vomit.

As for HIIT in the morning ... I'm assuming this is falling back on the old notion that cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is better because it burns more fat?

Well, sure, slow long distance cardio may burn more fat in the morning, but it also burns more muscle. Not to mention that HIIT burns more carbs during exercise and more fat after exercise. So by the time EPOC kicks in, you're probably having breakfast, so the whole "empty stomach" argument doesn't make sense.

Having said that, I do feel that we should train at different times and energy levels on occassion. It's just not something I'd recommend on a regular basis.

MixmasterNash
09-19-2006, 08:14 AM
30 second sprints aren't too much. You will necessarily run slower than shorter duration work, but intervals up to a few minutes can be quite useful, even though they transition into aerobic activity (the horror!).

Tabata is one of the shorter interval HIIT methods that is used. Anything much less and you're talking about explosive work.

Al3X
09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Thrusters (http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=83110&highlight=thruster) are well to use also.

Al3X
09-19-2006, 08:16 AM
30 sec sprints is very demanding. Especially if you're using it increase your cardiovascular workouts, and or lose weight. You should work up to it (30 sec goal) Just like learning a new exercise, you will learn the movement/function of it, and start out at a light weight.

Anthony
09-19-2006, 08:28 AM
30 second sprints aren't too much. You will necessarily run slower than shorter duration work, but intervals up to a few minutes can be quite useful, even though they transition into aerobic activity (the horror!).

Tabata is one of the shorter interval HIIT methods that is used. Anything much less and you're talking about explosive work.

Any form of interval training is better than none, but shorter intervals have been shown to be better than longer intervals. Either way, it's not a big deal.

However, a 30 second sprint will probably result in one of two things (unless you're a machine):

1) you'll purposely run slower than a full sprint to maintain steady pace for 30 seconds, so by definition you're not sprinting
2) you're speed will start to drop after 15-20 seconds

If you can truly sprint for a full 30 seconds and do that for 8 sets, then none of this matters because you're not human. :p

MixmasterNash
09-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Any form of interval training is better than none, but shorter intervals have been shown to be better than longer intervals.

They have? For what?

Anthony
09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Yeah, for fat loss. There was a big discussion on it awhile back.

Tarendol
09-19-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have a question about post-HIIT nutrition (that I couldn't find covered anywhere else). Since you guys mentioned fat loss, I thought I would post my question here.

Will what you eat after HIIT influence the long term (hours) increase in metabolism? I have been feeding myself the same thing I eat immediately after my lifting workouts, some dextrose and protein. Does this not matter?

Anthony
09-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I've seen some discussion on this (eating VS not eating) ... but I wasn't convinced. My vote is to treat post-HIIT the same way you'd treat post-lifting.

MalteseAnimal
09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, I doubt I can truley SPRINT for 30 seconds straight. What about, running pretty damn hard for 30 seconds, then jogging 30 seconds. Rinse, repeat.

Can this be just as effective? (to build up at least)

RickTheDestroyer
09-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that HIIT is supposed to be as balls to the wall as you can do it. Sprint hard for 10 seconds if that's all you can do. It'll still work.

Al3X
09-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Maltese, if you can't sprint that long adjust. HIIT is about your hr staying in a constant optimal range, am I right?

Example: Sprint 15 sec, Jog 15 sec, Sprint 15 sec...

Do what you can.

Anthony
09-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Well, I doubt I can truley SPRINT for 30 seconds straight. What about, running pretty damn hard for 30 seconds, then jogging 30 seconds. Rinse, repeat.

Can this be just as effective? (to build up at least)

Yes, it will still offer more benefits than the standard long, slow, and steady stuff.

Anthony
09-20-2006, 09:13 AM
HIIT is about your hr staying in a constant optimal range, am I right?

No, quite the opposite. Your HR will be jumping all over the place. Your HR will be high during the "work" portion of the interval, but you're not overly concerned with how high. And while you're HR will decrease during the "rest" portion of the interval, you're also not overly concerned with how low. Some people will be concerned with how much it drops during rest, but for short intervals it's practically impossible to test anyway.

Al3X
09-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Actually verifying how quick/low your HR drops would be hard to determine. I know for myself after running say 4 miles, I check my HR compared to my resting HR, and of course its outrageous. A few minutes later, and my HR has dropped, but not a lot..