PDA

View Full Version : subway wheat

dtshen
08-21-2006, 10:56 PM
is subway wheat bread whole wheat?

Spourk
08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
I would just ask them the next time you go.

Spourk
08-22-2006, 12:08 AM
GRR.. sorry i guess my internet lagged sorry for 2 posts

SpecialK
08-22-2006, 02:48 AM
I doubt it. Most "whole wheat" breads sold at the grocery store aren't whole wheat at all. Look at the nutrition facts - if it doesn't contain at least 2 grams of fiber per slice, then it's not really whole wheat.

ectx
08-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Subway lists the following ingredients as components of their whole wheat bread:

WHEAT BREAD Enriched flour (flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, whole wheat flour, high fructose corn syrup, wheat gluten, contains less than 2% of the following: wheat bran, yeast, salt, soybean oil, dough conditioner (acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono-and diglycerides, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, potassium iodate, amylase (enzymes)], cracked wheat, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, caramel color (contains sulfites), dried honey preparation (honey powder, invert sugar, wheat starch, soy bran flour, silicon dioxide [anti-caking]), mineral oil.

So no, it's not 100% whole wheat. It's probably better for you than their other breads, but if you're concerned about carbs, and type of carbs consumed get their wraps instead.

come back kid
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
I wouldnt expect a clerk at Subway to have that much knowledge anyway. It's just a log of frozen dough to them. ;-)

Turnip
08-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Isnt there laws against that sort of thing, like no saying its whole wheat if it isnt whole wheat? I mean people eat this stuff they shouldnt be able to lie.

SpecialK
08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Isnt there laws against that sort of thing, like no saying its whole wheat if it isnt whole wheat? I mean people eat this stuff they shouldnt be able to lie.

Not always. Sometimes a standard hasn't yet been agreed upon by the FDA or some other organization. There are no official rules for the labeling of olive oil, for instance. The terms "cold pressed", "virgin", and "extra virgin" are supposed to mean specific things, but there is no official organization that recognizes and enforces them.

Same thing for "organic" foods.

DarrenEff
08-23-2006, 07:06 AM
There is a law, and thats why they call it "Subway Wheat" everywhere on their website. The only time you hear it called "Whole Wheat" is in the store where sandwich artists are not informed it isn't really whole wheat ;)

russianwol
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Same thing for "organic" foods.

Can you explain more what you mean.

Organic is in fact regulated by USDA.

miken5254
08-24-2006, 10:03 PM
It may not be whole wheat but Subway is pretty tasty! I like the cheese steak and the BMT.