PDA

View Full Version : eating routine

jock227
02-01-2002, 12:43 PM
am 5 9 bout 152 lbs. and am stuck at 152. Can someone look at my eating routine and give me some ideas on how to make it better for GAINS only?

meal one;
cup of oatmeal
banana
cup of fruit yogurt

meal two;
real fruit protein shake

meal three;
ham and chess sandwich, potatoe salad glass of milk

meal four;
real fruit protein shake

meal five;
2 white castle burgers(yeh yeh) lol, cup of carrots, one tomato, cottage cheese, necatrine, and pickle. Fruit juice

meal six;
designer whey protein shake with milk.

jarhead
02-01-2002, 01:00 PM
Dude, are you serious? You keep asking the same questions over and over. Do you even read replies to your posts? Don't mean to flame you, but c'mon. Replace the shakes with some solid foods. Eat more chicken, eggs, tuna, red meat. White Castle burgers :rolleyes:. Count the amount of calories you take in and you'll se why you're not growing.

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:10 PM
Give me some credit bro.. I keep asking the same question cause all chicken daddy said was cut the protein shakes and add more real food.. i am looking for food ideas.. what foods I can replace the shakes with specifically.. Every time i follow up with questions asking for specific ideas, no one responds.

I appreciate you replying and actually giving some ideas of what to add.. but just saying "count your calories and you'll see why you're not growing" doesn't help.. if i have that number.. then what? How many calories should I be taking in.. alot of times on this site People tend to assume everyone on here is as far along as they are and assume we all know things like calorie intake, protein supplements, etc and all the info and alot of us don't. that's what this site is for I thought. I mean I started taking in all the protein shakes cause that is the information I was given when I started on this program on here. Now 15 weeks later, I've only gained about 7 lbs and am being told it is wrong.. so again give me some credit.. i'm asking for help no put downs bro

TreeTrunks
02-01-2002, 01:18 PM
What I do is I compute my BMR then take that number and add 1000 calories to that (if im bulking) or I subtract 500 (if im cutting). For each meal you need to divide out the calories evenly except you'll need to give more calories to the post workout meal.

Protein supplements are great! But use them as just that, a supplement. Try to eat as much real food as you can and put in a protein shake or two were you are deficent in protein.

Try eating Tuna, albacore, chicken, in your case beef. Throw in some brown rice at every meal if you so desire. Eat northern fruits.

Hell just search on this site! FYI: This question is literatly asked like everyday. Thats why people haven't answered your last post. Its kinda repetitive.

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:22 PM
THANK YOU TREE TRUNKS!!

The change from 3 meals a day to 6 meals a day was big enough that I thought it was fine, that's why I haven't checked in on the posts.. when I weighed this week and realized I hadn't gained I got worried thus the questions today.

One final question.. what is BMR? body mass ratio? lol no clue, help me out...

The_Chicken_Daddy
go read the articles on the homepage! that's why they're there.

Tryska
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
What I do is I compute my BMR then take that number and add 1000 calories to that (if im bulking) or I subtract 500 (if im cutting).

imo, this formula for cutting is way too low, and can lead to a rebound starvation mode effect.

therhoads
02-01-2002, 01:24 PM
7 pounds in 15 weeks is not bad if it is lbm and not fat! You really cannot expect to put on much more lbm than that. I went from 150 - 170 in 12 weeks but some of it was definitely fat. I am now cutting to get the fat off.

I gained by eating A LOT of food broken down into 5 or 6 meals. I used Myoplex Mass wich not only contains protein but vitamins and weight gain ingredients. I do not track every single calorie / fat / protein gram but just try to take in as much lean food as possible. Such as the items mentioned by jarhead: chicken, eggs, tuna, red meat; plus veggies, fruits, and natural peanut butter. I also did not do a lot of cardio intentionally because it burns calories, fat, and muscle.

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:24 PM
tryska what do u suggest

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:27 PM
thanks therhoads... good info.. I'd ideally like to get up to at least 165, been skinny all my life and am trying hard to do something about it this time.. I think I have a great workout now, thanks to the WBB routine and some modifications.. now i need some help with the food intake.. so I'll go find out about that BMR and see if that helps.. thanks again those who responded

:) :D

therhoads
02-01-2002, 01:28 PM
If you are cutting, look into the CKD Diet. I am doing it now...CKD (http://www.hbstores.com/Ketogenicdieting.htm)

jarhead
02-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Like I said, I am not flaming you, but a search the forum (look over other members' Journals and see what they eat). I was asking the same questions just a few months ago. I am also trying to bulk. You have to figure out your maintenance calories (the amount of calories it takes to maintain your weight), then add about 500-1000 calories a day on top of that. No junk, but good foods.
Complex carbs:
Brown rice
Whole wheat pasta
Whole wheat bread
Yams
Baked potatoes

Protein:
Chicken
Tuna
Eggs
Milk
Red meat
Cottage Cheese
Natural Peanut Butter

This may come in handy for calculating nutrients:
USDA Nutrient Database (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl)

TreeTrunks
02-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Well I use that a basic idea, a rough draft if you will. I try that for a day and take notes on how I feel through the day and how training went and I then add calories (usually more carbs) to the diet until it is just right, the final copy. I also do minimal cardio. I am trying to see if its actually possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I have worked too hard to let cardio break it down. I weigh 230 right now and I consume 2500 calories.

BMR=Basal Metabolic Rate. Its a simple formula I use to get a rough idea on how much calories my body needs. I haven't found a formula for maintence so I use the BMR. To get your BMR for a guy take your body weight in lbs. divide it by 2.2 then take that number and multiple it by 24 and that is it.

BW in lbs./2.2*24=calories.

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:32 PM
WOW thank you jarhead, thank you Tree trunks..

and tree trunks.. 230? holy **** good work man!

Tryska
02-01-2002, 01:32 PM
well. bulking isn't my forte really but....

Originally posted by jock227
am 5 9 bout 152 lbs. and am stuck at 152. Can someone look at my eating routine and give me some ideas on how to make it better for GAINS only?

meal one;
cup of oatmeal
banana
cup of fruit yogurt

~~~add some eggs in here, skip the fruit yogurt.

meal two;
real fruit protein shake

~~~perhaps some tuna? or maybe hard boiled eggs?

meal three;
ham and chess sandwich, potatoe salad glass of milk
~~~try to get some real meat in here, perhaps chicken breast, steak, or perhaps tuna? rather than potato salad, why not a real potato? or perhaps some brown rice? the milk is fine.

meal four;
real fruit protein shake

~~~put the designer whey shake here.

meal five;
2 white castle burgers(yeh yeh) lol, cup of carrots, one tomato, cottage cheese, necatrine, and pickle. Fruit juice

~~~real meat or fish. Fresh veggies (i guess carrots and tomatoes are fine, but it seems lik your living on "sugar") a potato or some brown rice, or another complex carb. Nectarine is cool. Skip the fruit juice. why not another glass of milk?

meal six;
designer whey protein shake with milk.
~~~make this cottage cheese (4%) with some flax seed oil

let's say your BMR is around 1500 cals. That would make AMR 2000, let's round that up to about 2200 to acocutn for activity. let's add another 500 cals on there for bulking, brings you up to about 2700.

I would say look to use 2700-3000 cals for bulking. If that doesn't help ya grow, keep adding more cals with more clean food to it.

TreeTrunks
02-01-2002, 01:35 PM
2700-3000 calories sounds like a good calorie amount for his BW.

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Great.. thanks

If i calculated correctly my BMR is 2036.. so using tryska's model (trying to lol) I am going to try and take in about 3050 cal's... that sound about right?

Tryska
02-01-2002, 01:44 PM
mmm...where did you get that BMR value from?

jock227
02-01-2002, 01:48 PM
sorry been away from school too long...

BMR=1636.36

Tryska
02-01-2002, 01:50 PM
hee hee...okay...that makes more sense. I typically use the figure of 10xbw to come up with roundabout BMR, myself. a little less than with Treetrunks (poliquin's?) formula....but around the same.

David
02-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey Jock check out my diet on here, its over 4,700 calories spread over 9 meals a day....if that diet doesnt give you more mass then i dont know what will!!!:eek:

TreeTrunks
02-01-2002, 04:29 PM
mass or fat?

David
02-01-2002, 06:52 PM
read above, pal tuttut

TreeTrunks
02-01-2002, 08:37 PM
That was sarcasm. 4700 is a bit much for a 150lber.

mickeys
02-01-2002, 10:17 PM
get some protein and fat into meal one

you need a lot more fat in your diet, and protein unless youre getting enough from the shakes