PDA

View Full Version : Shake timing

jgprather
08-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I plan to start drinking protein shakes (w/Nitrean) twice a day. I know I want to have one for breakfast but I don't when to drink the 2nd. Should I drink half of it before my workout and half after? Or drink a whole one before bed?

Thanks.

getfit
08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
have the other after you train.What time do you train?

ViciousBish
08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
On a non-lifting day. when do you take the second shake?

I heard you take whey in the morning and/or before and after workouts

and you take soy or casein at night time or in between meals

RedSpikeyThing
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Think of it was "eating", not "taking". When would you "take" a chicken breast?

jgprather
08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
So take it all AFTER my workout? I heard having some protein in your system prior can help recovery. I'll probably be working out in the early to late afternoon.

On a non-lifiting day, I'll be doing some leg work and cardio, so I'll probably take it the same time.

jgprather
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I meant, do I eat all of the SECOND shake. Thanks

BalancedMan
08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Lately I've been doing:

2 Scoops Nitrean with Breakfast (usually eggs, bananna or leftover Pizza ;) )
2 Scoops Nitrean Pre-Workout
2 Scoops Nitrean Post-Workout
2 Scoops Nitrean Before Bed

That gives me around 200g of protein to suppliment my otherwise probably not-so-great dieting patterns. I usually workout anywhere from 7-10 PM, so the pre-workout shake is with dinner.

If I was only going to choose two shakes, it'd be breakfast and post-workout becuase they are nicely spread out throughout the day. Also realize that liquids digest rather quickly, and that if you took the protein shake before the workout, much of stuff would be digested before you got back from the gym. I like to fuel the tank when the muscles are crying for it, so I always, ALWAYS hit the shake up in the post-workout/recovery period.

BalancedMan
08-22-2006, 04:21 PM
On a non-lifiting day, I'll be doing some leg work and cardio, so I'll probably take it the same time.

Are you not "lifting" with your legs? Seems like squats, deadlift and other exercises should be killing them...I know I'm pretty sore after my legs day, which is just part of my split routine.

As far as cardio, unless its HIIT I've been avoiding the stuff altogether because I have enough time eating to get big...there's no reason to do cardio right now unless I'm at a caloric deficit to burn the fat.

jgprather
08-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. The liquid thing makes sense. I'll eat the shakes at breakfast and then in the late afternoon after I work out.

I don't do a lot of lifting for my legs. I'm where I want to be with my leg strength.

As for cardio, I had a double-lung transplant 6 years ago. I do cardio to maintain and improve my lung function. Plus, I really enjoy it.

Thanks.

RedSpikeyThing
08-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice. The liquid thing makes sense. I'll eat the shakes at breakfast and then in the late afternoon after I work out.

I don't do a lot of lifting for my legs. I'm where I want to be with my leg strength.

Why wouldn't you ever want to get stronger?

As for cardio, I had a double-lung transplant 6 years ago. I do cardio to maintain and improve my lung function. Plus, I really enjoy it.

Thanks.

Holy ****! Congratulations on continuing to go after your physical fitness goals!

jgprather
08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
You're right. I do workout my legs and I aim to get stronger. But I'm really concentrating on my upper body because I'm NOT where I want to be strength-wise there.

Thanks for the good wishes.

dnelson82
08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I wake up at 6 am, have breakfast (ceral and oats or 1 egg) and then about 9 am I have my first shake then lunch and then my next shake around 2 or 3. I finally workout around 6:30 or 7 at night and then have dinner immediately after. Is this ideal for the shake timing or would you suggest changing when I consume it?

Thanks.