PDA

View Full Version : Anthony, Other MMA'ers, Does this Look Legit?

Eszekial
08-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Looking to start MMA classes.

Found one that's close to me.

http://www.teamquestmma.com/

Can somebody check that out and see if it looks legit?

Apperently one of the owners is an UFC / Pride fighter.

I'm COMPLETELY uneducated about this, so any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Anthony
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Team Quest is Randy Couture's camp ... one of the best.

I'm not up to speed on this, but the website you listed looks like an expansion gym in California, while the original Team Quest is in Oregon. Maybe contact the folks in Oregon to find out if it's legit or not.

LiftingKid
08-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Team quest is legit. It's run by randy couture (sp?). Lots of great MMA'ers train there.

Eszekial
08-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Thanks Guys... What level of conditioning should I expect to need to be in order to do this kind of work?

ElPietro
08-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Go in and find out.

There is no other way to do it. If you are out of shape, you will get into shape fast enough, so I wouldn't worry about it. First week or two will just be getting used to their training regime.

Anthony
08-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Exactly. They aren't going to pound you into the ground the first day. You'll have plenty of time to learn what needs work and what doesn't. I spent a year being fat and out of shape before I decided to improve my conditioning!

Eszekial
08-22-2006, 10:38 AM
It looks like they have conditioning days 3 days a week, which fit into my scheduele... So I may skip the technical work for a few weeks or pull some 2 a days...

Boy this sounds fun.

I just sent in a request for membership information...

This sounds like so much fun....!

Hockey66
08-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Exactly. They aren't going to pound you into the ground the first day. You'll have plenty of time to learn what needs work and what doesn't. I spent a year being fat and out of shape before I decided to improve my conditioning!

Damn, you sure did a good job at it.

offhegoes03
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
good luck man.. trust me, doing MMA will whip your ass into shape. as people have mentioned, a lot of guys that fight in the UFC are from team quest.. correct me if I'm wrong, but Josh from TUF3 (fat guy with ILS) is from team quest as well.

ElPietro
08-22-2006, 11:31 AM
It looks like they have conditioning days 3 days a week, which fit into my scheduele... So I may skip the technical work for a few weeks or pull some 2 a days...

Boy this sounds fun.

I just sent in a request for membership information...

This sounds like so much fun....!

My recommendation would be to go through all of it. Just focusing on one or the other is probably not best. Learn the routine, that's why it's there.

Eszekial
08-22-2006, 04:20 PM
$150 a month for as much training as you can possibley stomach.....

Is that too much?

I also need a real gym membership because I'm sick of not having a power rack and other trash...

$200 a month is just too much to be spending on memberships....

bloodninja
08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
$150 is a whole lot depending on what you plan to go for, and what they offer.

Rates vary widely, sometimes it might be $50 for kickboxing, $50 for jiu jitsu, etc...

So if you really plan to take advantage of it and go every single day, $150 a month is a hell of a deal.

Team Quest roster http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?search=yes&Association=Team%20Quest

Maki Riddington
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
$150 is not alot if you're rubbing shoulders with some quality fighters. You will learn very quickly.

Best of luck and enjoy the pain!!! You'll learn to embrace it.

Anthony
08-23-2006, 05:24 AM
$150 is PEANUTS for what you'll get in return.

ElPietro
08-23-2006, 06:03 AM
$150 is a lot if you do not have any aspirations of competing.

If you are just going for the conditioning and fun, then you can go almost anywhere that has an environment that you feel comfortable at.

MantiXX
08-23-2006, 06:15 AM
I'd pay $150 US to train with Teamquest people, but I'm too far away...

I pay $40 Canadian a month (which is CHEAP AS HELL :omg: ...LOL)... and our club has a TON of heavy bags set up, a weight room (lots of steel, hex dumbells, racks etc) and a huge padded area, where most of the workouts take place. There are boxing, kickboxing, kyoshikin and BJJ instructors (some common). They dont really offer any direct 'BJJ' or 'Boxing' instructions, its all mixed MMA.... Basically, combined.... However, Friday is pure grappling... Oh they also want to buy a cage and set it up in the back (not sure where they'd fit it though)...

Anyways, if you've got the money and its not going to set you back too much, $150 is definitely worth it... If you just want to get into shape and have some fun, it may be a bit pricey...

Peace out....

Eszekial
08-23-2006, 08:41 AM
I've pretty much decided i'm going to do this if i can't find somethign else local that screams at me.

I'll report some feedback soon.

And i still need a gym membership which should cost me another 20-30.