PDA

View Full Version : Healed up, now let's shape up

CannibalCrowley
08-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm pretty much a newb at lifting and I've let myself get way out of shape as well, my intro is here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=84222).

For Mondays I've chosen Dan John's Rapid Ascent program. It consists of doing military presses, power cleans, and front squats. All 8/6/4 and all the same weight until all the reps can be completed successfully. He also specifies that only a one minute rest period should be used.

Yesterday (Monday) I was able to perform all the lifts at 65 lbs for the first time :clap: (I told you I was out of shape). I've attempted this at 65 twice before and both times the military presses were what did me in. But hey, progress is progress.

On the diet side, I'm getting a lot better:
Monday
cals: 2491
Protein: 212
Carbs: 225
Fat: 88

Today is a rest day. I think I'll make the best of it and take pictures and measurements as an additional way to record future progress.

CannibalCrowley
08-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Yesterday was back day.

Deadlifts 3x5 120/140/140

It felt like I could have done more; but I wanted to concentrate on my form. I'd hate to injure myself again when I'm just getting started.

Bentover Rows 3x6-8 70 (8)/80 (7)/80 (7)

For some reason I really like this lift. I don't know why, it just excites me. I really thought I was going to be able to hit 8 on the last two sets. I was just a couple inches off.

Good Mornings 3x8 60/65/65

I wanted a weight that would make me work; but wasn't heavy enough to make me risk failure. I think 70 might be a good fit for next week.

I was using a two minute recovery time, it feels like I'm getting a full recharge at that point. I hate the waiting around though.

I know workouts aren't supposed to be marathons; but this felt like it might not be enough. Maybe I should add overhead presses or something.

Vita
08-24-2006, 08:37 AM
there will be times when you dont' feel like sticking to it. ignore them.

CannibalCrowley
09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I need to start posting to my journal on here after my workouts. I record everything in a paper journal while I'm lifting; but I want a record that I won't lose.

Sunday
Rapid Ascent at 65

I was supposed to bump up; but I wasn't in the mood to go to failure that night.

Monday
Rest

Tuesday
Deadlifts 3x5 140
Bentover Rows 3x8 75
Good Mornings 3x8 65

Wednesday
Rest

Thursday
Benchpress 3x8 90/95/95
Incline DB Press 3x8 30

My final exercise was supposed to be chinups (I don't have a place for dips); but by the time I finished my other sets I was only able to do 3 at a time. So I took breaks doing them until I reached 20. I think I should try to put a different lift in there instead; but I'm not sure what.

CannibalCrowley
09-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Friday, September 1, 2006

Cleans 10x1
70/75/80/85/90/
95/95/100/105/110

I didn't know what I was going to do today so I decided to try out a Crossfit workout.

I know I started off pretty low; but that's because I didn't think I'd be able to get as high as I did. I was pretty pumped about it. I felt like just throwing on more and more weight; but I decided to stick to what I had scheduled instead. I did practice my overhead squats afterwards though. Not enough weight to mention, just a little so I could work on my form and get used to the movement.

CannibalCrowley
09-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Sunday, September 3, 2006

Rapid Ascent - 8/6/4 - 70 lbs

Military Press

6: Failed after the 5th rep.
4: Barely got it.

Power Cleans
Front Squats

I was breathing hard due to the short rests (one minute); but the rest of the lifts went well. Surprisingly enough my baby girl even waited until after I was finished to wake up.