PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm struggling

DavyRen
08-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I play 5 aside football (soccer) most weeks for an hour indoor, I'm finding it more and more difficult to drag myself about the pitch and to perform to my usual standard of that before I started lifting.

There's no question I have more of a physical presence, enjoy tackling and can hold my own defensively but I feel like i'm letting myself down with my general play.

Since starting lifting i've probably gained at least 35 pounds, i'm still lean ish and to me still seem thin enough (my non bb mates keep making comments like i'm carrying beef) to be able to perform.

Suppose i'm wondering is it me, am I unfit or is it not possible to combine both bb and football. I'm thinking of jacking the football in.

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

Sensei
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Added weight makes it harder to stop and start - no question about it. A 35lb gain is a lot!

Impossible to do both well? No, but it's going to be tough.

DavyRen
08-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Added weight makes it harder to stop and start - no question about it. A 35lb gain is a lot!

Impossible to do both well? No, but it's going to be tough.

Thanks

That was my thoughts, I love my football, I'm so competetive but if I have to choose, lifting wins hands down.

LouPac
08-23-2006, 02:06 AM
You could try doing some plyometrics to build explosiveness, either that or take up being a goalie. :D

DavyRen
08-23-2006, 05:39 AM
I used to be a keeper many moons ago and it did cross my mind last night. Was well on a downer last night when I posted.

Just finding it more difficult to combine both as the months go by and as I get bigger and bigger.

MantiXX
08-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm finding EXACTLY the same thing with all the MMA fighting and training I used to do...

I've went from 6' 195 lbs to 6' 220 lbs over the last 1.5 years and most of its muscle.. Very slow gains, but alot stronger....

I'm starting to notice that my cardio/stamina just aint what it used to be... I know its got to be the extra 25lbs I'm carrying around... But I like it (wife loves it - she says I've finally got an Azz ...LOL)... and I'm stronger than ever....

Its a difficult balancing act to say the least... (and turning 40 in December :swear: isn't exactly helping matters - body is slowly gettin older... DA.MN...LOL)....

I guess you've just got to figure out what's the most important and try the other sport as best you can.... ARGGGGGGHHHH>.. To be 20 again... Man, I was huge and had the cardio of a machine.. (sulks into corner, curls into fetal postion, sucking thumb....LOL)....

Good luck...

Peace out...

DavyRen
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Cheers mate I thought there must have been loads of people in a similar position than me. Never thought anything would be more important than football but Mr Vain has always been in me somewhere I can't stop now.

djreef
08-23-2006, 12:51 PM
You could use your new found size to play the 'other' football - rugby.

DJ

Anthony
08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Gaining weight will affect your conditioning in a negative manner, but that's not to say you cannot improve it. There are TONS of guys your size who are machines. Just put in the effort to improve your conditioning and work capacity.

Maki Riddington
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Stop gaining weight and focus on bringing your conditioning levels up. I learned the hard way. I went up to 220 pounds and man was my cardio horrible. I've decided to stay around 190-198 now.

DavyRen
08-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks Anthony and Maki, from you two it means a lot.
I think i'll continue my cut to lose 10lbs or so then take it from there.

Been thinking for a while, might buy myself a mountain bike to up my cardio levels.
The wife has a treadmill but I find that too boring.

Built
08-24-2006, 01:09 AM
In my experience, the best cardio is the one you'll DO. And having a few different modalities to choose from never hurts.

McVein
08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
5 a side isnt about legging it about the pitch! you can win a game without even jogging, passing and positioning is key, and thats how it should be played, i play once a week too, and rarely break a sweat, and thats not because i train for it, ..its all down to tactics.....

just work on your positioning, and you wont need to drag yourself anywhere!

good luck man