PDA

View Full Version : post workout meal



the_hall
02-01-2002, 02:10 PM
Right now I take four scoops of Nlarge post workout.

What should I be eating in my next meal, roughley one hour after I finish training. I usually get about 35g protien and 50 or so grams of carbs. Are these amounts correct for a 175lb person?

Also, should the carbs be high GI carbs, or low like any other regular meal?

Thanks

mickeys
02-01-2002, 10:06 PM
do you ahve anything else besides nlarge2? i wouldnt take that right after i lift, it has lots of fat and complex carbs which take awhile to digest..

i use nlarge2 all other times i make shakes, but post w/o i use some designer whey with orange juice and sugar.. it's absorbed almost immediatley.. no complex carbs or fat or nothin

then 90 minutes after i have a high carb/protein meal

the post workout SHAKE should have high GI carbs, i just throw in some sugar and juice or gatorade.. just use about 60g of table sugar

the MEAL should not be high GI carbs at all, just a regular meal.. maybe tuna and an apple or rice or something

Slim Schaedle
02-02-2002, 12:24 AM
i just throw in some sugar and juice
are you just throwing in regular refined sugar??
:eek: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is the best idea

the MEAL should not be high GI carbs at all, just a regular meal..
IMO, I like another insulin boost,...like white rice and chicken. I don't think apples would be best here. I eat this meal about two hours after post shake.

CBates
02-02-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Slim Schaedle

are you just throwing in regular refined sugar??
:eek: Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is the best idea

IMO, I like another insulin boost,...like white rice and chicken. I don't think apples would be best here. I eat this meal about two hours after post shake.

I'm just curious as to why sugar is bad for post workout? I mean it does cause an insulin spike right? So why wouldn't it be a good idea to use it? I've been wondering this the last few days, but unable to find an answer when doing research on it.

Slim Schaedle
02-02-2002, 12:57 AM
fructose, dextrose and stuff like that is not a bad idea......but refined sugar is just not cool in general IMO...plus, it makes me vreak out. Someone tell me if I'm wrong about refined sugar

MWB
02-02-2002, 03:56 AM
Regular table sugar isn't good because it is half fructose which restores mainly liver glycogen and is low gi. If you are looking for an insulin spike, use dextrose, maltodextrin, white bread, white rice or white potatoes.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by mickeys
do you ahve anything else besides nlarge2? i wouldnt take that right after i lift, it has lots of fat and complex carbs which take awhile to digest..

i use nlarge2 all other times i make shakes, but post w/o i use some designer whey with orange juice and sugar.. it's absorbed almost immediatley.. no complex carbs or fat or nothin

then 90 minutes after i have a high carb/protein meal

the post workout SHAKE should have high GI carbs, i just throw in some sugar and juice or gatorade.. just use about 60g of table sugar

the MEAL should not be high GI carbs at all, just a regular meal.. maybe tuna and an apple or rice or something

The complex carbs in Nlarge are maltodextrin. Yes, it is a glucose polymer, but it will also cause an insulin spike. For that very reason, Nlarge at any other time of the day is a bad idea.

Orange juice and sugar?!

Orange is fructose and table sugar is sucrose. sucrose is a glucose, fructose blend. Either way, for post workout choice these are horrible and in this case Nlarge is superior. Albeit, orange juice is a lot more concentrated than an orange and thus, has a higher GI score, but it is still an appauling choice for post workout.

I suggest you rethink your strategy Mickeys.

Spiderman
02-02-2002, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


The complex carbs in Nlarge are maltodextrin. Yes, it is a glucose polymer, but it will also cause an insulin spike. For that very reason, Nlarge at any other time of the day is a bad idea.

Orange juice and sugar?!

Orange is fructose and table sugar is sucrose. sucrose is a glucose, fructose blend. Either way, for post workout choice these are horrible and in this case Nlarge is superior. Albeit, orange juice is a lot more concentrated than an orange and thus, has a higher GI score, but it is still an appauling choice for post workout.

I suggest you rethink your strategy Mickeys.


Very nicely put Chicken_Daddy. I agree 100%. :thumbup:

body
02-02-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


. Albeit, orange juice is a lot more concentrated than an orange and thus, has a higher GI score,
.

with OJ the cells have been broken down releasing the sugar as well, therefore increasing the GI. when eating a orange your body has to digest the cells of the orange to reach some of the sugar so decreasing the GI.
as you turn fruits into juices the sugar become more extrinisc therefore increase the GI.

syntekz
02-02-2002, 07:42 AM
I've been using 2 cups of fruit juice(mostly orange) for post workout. This post has me re-thinking that idea.

What about this stuff?

http://www.supplementdirect.com/store/sdirect/puredextrose.html

the_hall
02-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Chicken_Daddy, what about Nlarge for breakfast? I heard that when bulking it is okay to take Nlarge for breakfast too, im not sure of the reason though.

Do you think this is a bad Idea?

CBates
02-02-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by syntekz


What about this stuff?

http://www.supplementdirect.com/store/sdirect/puredextrose.html

It's pure dextrose, so it's fine for post workout.

CBates
02-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by body


with OJ the cells have been broken down releasing the sugar as well, therefore increasing the GI. when eating a orange your body has to digest the cells of the orange to reach some of the sugar so decreasing the GI.
as you turn fruits into juices the sugar become more extrinisc therefore increase the GI.

But even turning it into juices isn't it still going to be fructose?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 10:34 AM
CBates, Body was just giving a more detailed version of why fruit juices have a higher GI than whole food fruits. Also, if it's processed "fresh" :rolleyes: fruit juice, that's just another reason to avoid it. Y'know sunny D? Yup, it's a whole 5% real orange juice. The other 95% comin from god-knows what chemicals and other nasty stuff...


Hall, if i were you i'd focus on getting down some real food for breakfast. Protein powders and shakes are all fine and dandy, but remember that the human body is designed to metabolise real whole foods. First thing in the morning you wanna get down real food. if you're late for school, work or a meeting then fine, gulp down an MRP, protein bar or shake but real food should be priority no matter what the time, except post train maybe. Also, like i said earlier, Nlarge contains maltodextrin which, although a complex carb, WILL spike insulin. You have no need to do this, unless fat gaining conditions are your desire, along with the drousiness that comes with the 'come down'.

Syntekz, if you want a post workout spike, that stuff will do it. :thumbup: