PDA

View Full Version : Starting Powerlifting

markdk86
08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
After I'm done with my UD2 cut I want to get into powerlifting. I've done reading and have the most interest in Westside training but I'm wondering if anyone else has any reccomendations, especially since it seems Westside lacks deadlifts.

JustinASU
08-23-2006, 12:08 PM
After I'm done with my UD2 cut I want to get into powerlifting. I've done reading and have the most interest in Westside training but I'm wondering if anyone else has any reccomendations, especially since it seems Westside lacks deadlifts.

Where did you hear that Westside lacks deadlifts? Some of the strongest deadlifters are westside guys.

markdk86
08-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I know THEY do them, but a few of the basic principles of Westside I've found only consist of benching and squats.

Chubrock
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
The majority of the lifts Westside focuses on have a huge carryover to DLing. That is why you'll often see these other movements being trained with greater frequency than actual ME Deads.

Sensei
08-23-2006, 01:25 PM
The good thing about WS is that the basic template is pretty easy to follow and tailor if you want to.

Try the basic 9-week beginner program and see how it goes: http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

Guido
08-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Indeed, most Westsiders believe that you don't actually have to do much of the actual deadlift movement in order to improve the deadlift. They figure that if you strengthen the muscles used in the movement, and concentrate on form and explosiveness for the actual movement, that the deadlift will go up. Same with most of the other lifts. Not many Westsiders just "squat" or "bench". They usually incorporate bands or chainsor boxes, or do partial ROM exercises such as floor presses or rack squats.

Chris Rodgers
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
How much training have you donw with the 3 lifts?

If you have little experience with them, you may want to just do a basic, progressive overload routine for 8-12 weeks and learn the movements and build up a strength base. Just another idea.

drew
08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
How long have you been lifting and what have you done in the past?

The Westside template is great, and I've personally had great results with it. It's really about how you structure it for yourself though. I often go through cycles where I'll deadlift heavy every two weeks because I make the best gains that way (however I can't train like this all the time since it will kill my back).

Dinosaur
08-23-2006, 06:17 PM
The beauty about Westside is it doesn't have to be just squats and bench, it can be anything you want using the same idea. I did a modified Westside program for quite some time, focusing on overhead pressing as my upper body routines instead of benching while still focusing hard on squats and deads and made some good gains. It's not written in stone, you can adapt it to what you want to do.

markdk86
08-23-2006, 08:35 PM
I've been lifting again since November, and seriously since December.

Currently I'm cutting because I used to weigh 242 down to 190 with 14% bf and need my lower trunk area to tighten more, so I still have 4 weeks of UD2 left. I've been using the UD2 template for a month now, before that I had used Builts BGB and before that WBB1.

I may be better off with starting perhaps a 5x5 routine and then moving into Westside since I havn't gone into a true bulk yet, but I do lift hard and push my limits constantly. One thing I really want to improve is my bench because I'm just not confortable with it so always resort to dumbells. I do believe my form could be a little better and I need to dig my feet more.

Anyway what do you guys reccomend ? I trust you all, ths place has changed my life :)

Hazerboy
08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Westside will work for about anyone, but if you're fairley new to the game there is most likely a more effecient way to make gains. Westside works partly because you rarely do the full lifts; elite powerlifters would burn out that if they where lifting heavy with the full ROM on a consistent basis on the squat/deadlift and bench. This is not true for beginners and even intermediates. For a beginner or intermediate I beleive the best way to get better at a lift would be actually DOING THE LIFT, instead of doing , board presses, box squats, rack pulls, ME, DE, whatever, it might just be better to do squats, deadlifts and bench pressing. For this reason I would first recommend a 5x5 program or other basic powerlifting program. Try it for acouple months and when you need a change, switch to westside.

markdk86
08-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I've done some 5x5 before and enjoyed it, 5x5 it is :)

drew
08-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Go to Joe Defranco's website and try the Westside for skinny bastards routine.

Progress
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Go to Joe Defranco's website and try the Westside for skinny bastards routine.
I'm interested in getting into powerlifting. This sounds like a good one for me.

Westsidemonster
09-12-2006, 03:14 AM
West side rules! You'll get strong in no time! It's crazy!