PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin?

drwost
08-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Excuse me if this is a repeated topic but I am confused?

I am male 41 about 5'11'' and weigh 222. My BF is around 23%

I want to get down to 200 and then maybe 190-185 range. I have been working out for years so that part is covered.

How many cals should I be aiming for?
How much protein?
Do I eat as if I am already 200 lbs? or 185 lbs.

I have sample diets ranging from 1200 cal-3000cal which look nutritionally sound and are written for the weightlifter looking for fat loss...will post if I can figure out how to upload.

Thanks

drwost

Built
08-23-2006, 04:01 PM
dr - read the cutting link in my sig and get back to me when you've tracked your maintenance calories for a few days. All the questions you ask are answered in there, I think.

What training do you intend to do?

drwost
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Due to time, weight training 3 days per week and squeeze in some cardio as often as I can

Weights I do a push/ pull/legs

drwost

Built
08-23-2006, 04:16 PM
3 days is fine - describe the lifts you'll do, the rep ranges ...

drwost
08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I usually stay in the 6 rep range...lately that has been working for me in terms of making strength gains. I do 3-4 sets per excercise and 3 different excercises

Chest
Flat bench
Weighted dips
Flys

Back
Pull downs
Cable rows
some machine row(whatever is available)

Shoulder
machine press
upright row
laterals

bi's
stand curls
preacher

tri'
pushdowm
French Press

Legs
SQUATS and whatever else i can do

I am thinking of starting around 2300-2500 cals per day
280-300 gms of protein

drwost

Ironminded
08-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Built's suggestion to track your maintenance cals is the first step you should take. It will probably suprise you how many calories you are actually taking in, I know it does suprise me whenever I get back into tracking them after a lay off. That will also give you a baseline from which you can subtract and show you easy places to cut out calories without making major changes to diet/life-style.

Depending on your level of commitment you might want to check the artical archieves on WBB, as there are some great articals on macro-timing as well as partioning.

Built
08-23-2006, 05:15 PM
I usually stay in the 6 rep range...lately that has been working for me in terms of making strength gains. I do 3-4 sets per excercise and 3 different excercises

Sounds good - try to keep your whole workout under about 25 sets in total.

Chest
Flat bench
Weighted dips
Flys

Back
Pull downs
Cable rows
some machine row(whatever is available)
Deads!!! Chins!!! Make sure your pulldowns/chins are no wider than shoulder width.

Shoulder
machine press
upright row
laterals

Try Arnies, and ditch the upright rows. They're shoulder killers.

bi's
stand curls
preacher

tri'
pushdowm
French Press

Legs
SQUATS and whatever else i can do

RDLs and GMs come to mind. Squats and RDLs are a nice balance.

I am thinking of starting around 2300-2500 cals per day
280-300 gms of protein

drwost

Might not be bad - you'll have to see how you do and how you feel. Tracking is a better way to start, but I understand the impatience to begin.

Make sure you keep your fats up - at least half a gram per pound LBM.

drwost
08-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Love The Arnies! I also do a Hang Clean when I don't do Uprights..
Got a Fit day account also

Dead lifts and Stiff legs and bent overs Kill my lower back...disc problems
Chins..yeah gotta get back to doing them

thanx
drwost

John04Civic
08-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Built's suggestion to track your maintenance cals is the first step you should take. It will probably suprise you how many calories you are actually taking in, I know it does suprise me whenever I get back into tracking them after a lay off. That will also give you a baseline from which you can subtract and show you easy places to cut out calories without making major changes to diet/life-style.

Depending on your level of commitment you might want to check the artical archieves on WBB, as there are some great articals on macro-timing as well as partioning.
I'm in total agreement..

FitDay is your friend also!