PDA

View Full Version : What do u guys think about coco pops?

Ricochet1990
08-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I looked at the nutritional data for it and the only bad thing about it could only be the ammount of sugar in it..think it was 37g per 100g or something like that. Does anyone here consume coco pops while they are on a diet? Any help appreciated>

getfit
08-23-2006, 04:58 PM
i'm just thinking of the amount of sugar in there , no thanks.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Don't you mean Cocoa Puffs?

Stray
08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
37 per 100...so one third of what's in your bowl is pure sugar.

Where in the world would cocoa puffs ever even be thought of as a descent diet food? It's not like the bird on the box is buff or anything....if it was frosted flakes I can see the problem..Tony the tiger is jacked.

leveque
08-23-2006, 09:08 PM
I just googled coco pops, and it's the UK version of Cocoa Krispies.

I'm going to guess that it's still not a good diet food.

dissipate
08-24-2006, 04:47 AM
sugar on a diet?? er no.

arya202
08-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Why couldn't you eat this if it fit your macros? Am I missing something?Someone please explain.

ddegroff
08-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Because they're 1/3 sugar. On low cals (ie. diet) too much sugar will make you hungry. And there's something to be said about spiking insulin too much, but mostly its hunger control.

AND there are so many other ways to meet your macro's.

Anthony
08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Processed crap.

arya202
08-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Because they're 1/3 sugar. On low cals (ie. diet) too much sugar will make you hungry. And there's something to be said about spiking insulin too much, but mostly its hunger control.

AND there are so many other ways to meet your macro's.

So other than being hungry and the insulin spike it's ok? It would be good for a bulk for example?

And wouldn't it be good post workout with some milk since you want an insulin spike?

ddegroff
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Processed crap.

BIG part I forgot to mention.

Holto
08-24-2006, 07:40 PM
The scary thing about all these invented flavours is all the ingredients never have to be disclosed. Many of the companies that make flavouring started out in perfume many years ago and consider their formulas "Intellectual Property".

Scary.

Check for it in the new movie "Fast Food Nation"

bjohnso
08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
37 per 100...so one third of what's in your bowl is pure sugar.

Where in the world would cocoa puffs ever even be thought of as a descent diet food? It's not like the bird on the box is buff or anything....if it was frosted flakes I can see the problem..Tony the tiger is jacked.

Tony the Tiger uses performance enhancing drugs. Everyone knows this.

bL33d
08-25-2006, 10:04 AM
I eat a bowl of cereal every morning either kaboom or right now penut butter crunch :omg:

Unreal
08-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I eat a bowl of cereal every morning either kaboom or right now penut butter crunch :omg:

And looking through your fitday profile it shows. If you want to make solid progress you need to clean your diet up, because it sucks.

malkore
08-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Processed crap.

Exactly. even as a post workout source of simple carbs, they would suck.

paisano
08-25-2006, 07:05 PM
If you're Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, like I am, try the "whole grain, reduced sugar" version. It only has 3 grams of sugar.

Stray
08-25-2006, 07:14 PM

Is that the chex mix you have in your journal? Cause I'm pretty sure chex mix and peanutbutter crunch are gonna have different nutrient macros...

....and yeah you could clean it up a bit more.

Paladyr
08-25-2006, 10:48 PM
And looking through your fitday profile it shows. If you want to make solid progress you need to clean your diet up, because it sucks.

As long as he's getting his required macros and isn't eating too many calories, who cares? Now if he's having problems with energy levels, headaches, etc... then yea, he might need to cut down on the sugar.

Cocoa Puffs are flipping delicious. Cocoa Krispies are just okay.

I say enjoy your bulk (in moderation). If you can fit in some of your favorite foods, why not enjoy them at the proper times? Obviously you shouldn't be eating cheesecake 30 minutes before working out, but...

dissipate
08-26-2006, 02:04 AM
As long as he's getting his required macros and isn't eating too many calories, who cares?
probably no one would care.. unless they were concerned about optimal performance, efficiency and not dulling down their potential

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-26-2006, 02:20 AM
Pshhh, who cares about optimal nutrition for building muscle mass?

Nosaj
08-26-2006, 02:49 AM
Pshhh, who cares about optimal nutrition for building muscle mass?

Optimal nutrition isin't necessary for building muscle mass, more so for minimizing fat gain. ;)

Paladyr
08-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Optimal nutrition isin't necessary for building muscle mass, more so for minimizing fat gain. ;)

Yea I hear a lot of people saying you need to eat super-clean to bulk, with no reason why or any kind of data to back it up. And even if you don't eat clean, as long as you know how many calories you need and are staying where you should be, you won't put on much fat.

As long as your entire diet isn't processed sugar, you're getting enough of each of your macros, and you are eating the right foods at the right time (see cheesecake comment), there's no reason you can't enjoy your bulk a little IMO. I think people just become obsessed with being ultra healthy, and assume you have to be that way to see results.

Holto
08-26-2006, 01:22 PM
When you eat crap your resting insulin levels go up. This reduces the muscle cells response to inslulin. Insulin makes things go into cells. If your myocytes are resistant your lipocytes win out.

Please note guys I am totally just throwing this out there. There is nothing that will make you myocytes more receptive than a good workout routine (and I know zip about bulking).

drew
08-26-2006, 01:26 PM
OK, I've let it go for too long. So here is my answer to the question: What do u guys think about coco pops?

Drew's Answer: I am for them. :drooling: :thumbup:

Drew's caveat: I just ate a triple whopper value meal from BK and about to tear up some Hostess cupcakes. If you want to lose weight, don't do what I do. :hello:

paisano
08-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I just ate a triple whopper value meal from BK and about to tear up some Hostess cupcakes. If you want to lose weight, don't do what I do. :hello:

I tried one of those triple whoppers just yesterday. It was HUGE. I think I'm still digesting it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Optimal nutrition isin't necessary for building muscle mass, more so for minimizing fat gain. ;)I know, I was just being facetious. ;)

bL33d
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Only time i feel crappy are the days i dont have any sugar at all i dont drink soda i never eat sweets period other then cereal :P The other day i felt like crap in the middle of the day had a peanut butter cookie and felt better.

I know i dont do super well but i eat tuna and cottage cheese atleast once a day so my protein intake is decent... I dont think a bowl of cereal a day is gonna take away from anyone.

I'll be damn honest i aint sure what i should eat i cant follow any of these cut stickies they make no sense to me...=P

i eat between 1700-2000 calories a day and get about 80+ grams of protein.

Just looked peanut butter crunch has 9g of sugar.

Stray
08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Only time i feel crappy are the days i dont have any sugar at all i dont drink soda i never eat sweets period other then cereal :P The other day i felt like crap in the middle of the day had a peanut butter cookie and felt better.

I know i dont do super well but i eat tuna and cottage cheese atleast once a day so my protein intake is decent... I dont think a bowl of cereal a day is gonna take away from anyone.

I'll be damn honest i aint sure what i should eat i cant follow any of these cut stickies they make no sense to me...=P

i eat between 1700-2000 calories a day and get about 80+ grams of protein.

Just looked peanut butter crunch has 9g of sugar.

Then why ask what we thought? :windup:

Read up on the glycemic index and it may explain alot including your afternoon sugar crashes.

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Yea I hear a lot of people saying you need to eat super-clean to bulk, with no reason why or any kind of data to back it up. And even if you don't eat clean, as long as you know how many calories you need and are staying where you should be, you won't put on much fat.

As long as your entire diet isn't processed sugar, you're getting enough of each of your macros, and you are eating the right foods at the right time (see cheesecake comment), there's no reason you can't enjoy your bulk a little IMO. I think people just become obsessed with being ultra healthy, and assume you have to be that way to see results.

I agree.

Stray
08-26-2006, 07:43 PM
He's not bulking though..he's cutting.

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Either way. If he's taking in the right amount of calories for fat loss and getting in the proper amounts of protein and EFA's it won't matter.

Clean eating is usually recommended because:
1. you can eat more for less cals;
2. sometimes eating junk makes one hungrier and causes people to binge;
3. it's "healthier".

I've never seen any evidence that you can't get leaner while still enjoying fun foods.

Stray
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
You're right - as long as I pop some EFA's and pound some protein shakes I can fill the rest of my cals with snickers and twinkies.

I've been financing the slaughtering of hundreds upon thousands of chickens and tunafish for nothing.

Enjoying yourself from time to time is great..I highly endorse it - but eating like crap everyday and using whatever reasoning as an excuse and still expect grand results seems silly.

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 08:32 PM
The last I checked, chicken and tuna were protein which I said was essential....I never said anything about just drinking shakes.

Also, chocolate bars and twinkies will have lots of calories so your totals will quickly add up if you're eating in a deficit and you won't be able to eat all that much.

Losing weight is and always will be about calories in vs. calories out.

Stray
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Losing weight is and always will be about calories in vs. calories out.

I never disagreed with that. Look at some of my past posts and alot of my suggestions are simply caloric deficit for diet advice.

But I disagree that a high sugar, high saturated fat diet is fine as long as you meet your caloric requirement for the day.

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
I hear you. I used to be all about clean, clean, clean. You have to eat clean or you won't lose but the more I read the more I realize that that's not necessarily true. I've gotten lean without eating clean. I'm not talking competition lean or anything but lean just the same. And I've seen people get competition lean by not keeping it 100% clean.

If we're taking care of our bodies and trying to achieve the best results, we're obviously not going to fill our diets with huge amounts of sugar and saturated fats and I didn't even recommend that. All I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, a bowl of cocoa pops are not going to hurt someone's progress if it fits into his totals. :)

Stray
08-26-2006, 09:18 PM
I hear you as well.... I just think the original poster is young (in my minds eye I picture 17ish - forgive me if I'm wrong) and think the earlier good diet habits start, the better.

bL33d
08-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Then why ask what we thought? :windup:

Read up on the glycemic index and it may explain alot including your afternoon sugar crashes.

I didnt ask anybody..... O_o

Just stated i eat a bowl of cereal everyday with a multi vitamin and am doing fine i have lost 85 pounds in 4 monthes. More because im being active and not eating 6000 calories a day or whatever crazy high number im sure i ate.

Stray
08-27-2006, 12:41 AM
Does anyone here consume coco pops while they are on a diet? Any help appreciated>

I didnt ask anybody..... O_o

Just stated i eat a bowl of cereal everyday with a multi vitamin and am doing fine i have lost 85 pounds in 4 monthes. More because im being active and not eating 6000 calories a day or whatever crazy high number im sure i ate.

:scratch:

Sorry confused you with the OP. :D

Didn't think their where that many people eating Krazy Cukoo Poppy Poofs as a healthy alternative for breakfast.

The second line still applies though...