PDA

View Full Version : Protein consumption

Steele
08-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Sup guys, was just wondering.. Are there any guideline figures as to the max amount of protein you should consume in a single sitting for optimum muscle growth? If someone can give the basic biology behind it aswell that would be awsome.

Thanks,
-Steele

Steele
08-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Just found this -

Very high protein diets are dangerous
Some weight-trainers and bodybuilders believe that high protein diets lead to increased muscle mass. This isn’t true - it is stimulation of muscle tissue through exercise, not extra dietary protein that leads to muscle growth. Fad diets that favour very high protein and fat intake, combined with very low carbohydrate intake, may be harmful. The drawbacks of very high protein diets include:
Very high protein diets usually advocate very low intake of carbohydrates. Glucose, made when the body breaks down dietary carbohydrate, is the body’s preferred fuel source. If the body doesn’t receive enough dietary carbohydrate, it will break down muscle tissue to make glucose. This causes muscle wastage, reduced metabolism and a build-up of ketones (byproducts of protein metabolism).
Low fibre intakes can result in constipation, bowel disorders and increased risk of colon cancer.
There is evidence to suggest that the heart may not function as well if its main source of fuel is ketones.
High intake of animal products (which is usually recommended in such diets) can also be high in saturated fats and cholesterol, which is associated with a range of conditions including heart disease.
The liver and kidneys are put under strain because they have to detoxify and eliminate unusually high quantities of protein by products. Kidney problems may be exacerbated in people with diabetes.
There is an increased risk of developing gout and gall bladder colic.
Greater losses of body calcium may increase the risk of osteoporosis.
Increased risk of dehydration puts the body under pressure.
Recent research shows that weight loss over one year is not greater on a high protein diet when compared to safer low fat eating patterns.

dissipate
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
there have been many threads on this which you can find using the search function

bics56
08-24-2006, 08:11 AM
I generally always followed that per sitting 60-70 grams for the max...of course this # can vary from person to person.

diesel_dan
08-24-2006, 09:53 AM
60-70grams per sitting seems about right for me as well. Anymore than that I'll be making a trip to the john.

Eszekial
08-24-2006, 09:55 AM
It all depends on the amino acid pool.

I generally take in 12-24 every 3-4 hours.

PWO i'm taking in sometimes in excess of 50-80 grams.

I feel like i'm wasting protein if i take in more then 45 grams in a 3-4 hour period.

Maybe Holto or Slim could chime in on this one. There is a lot of things to factor in, such as gastric emptying, anabolic state, etc etc.

shootermcgavin7
08-24-2006, 10:04 AM
...Very high protein diets usually advocate very low intake of carbohydrates....

...High intake of animal products (which is usually recommended in such diets) can also be high in saturated fats and cholesterol...

Your article makes a lot of assumptions about high-protein diets.

Slim Schaedle
08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Just found this -
Just curious where that came from.

Also, this raises a red flag in my opinion....

Some weight-trainers and bodybuilders believe that high protein diets lead to increased muscle mass. This isn’t true - it is stimulation of muscle tissue through exercise, not extra dietary protein that leads to muscle growth.
So extra protein, besides what is necessary for other daily requirements, doesn't lead to increased anabolism .... (sarcasm)

arya202
08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I think that article is refering to atkins which calls for little carbs. Bodybuilders eat carbs protien and fat.

And I always assume you can have all your protein for the day in one sitting and it'll help your muscles as much as eating in little chunks does, I guess I'm wrong right?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
08-24-2006, 12:59 PM
And I always assume you can have all your protein for the day in one sitting and it'll help your muscles as much as eating in little chunks does, I guess I'm wrong right?It would be best to spread it out over the day.

arya202
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
It would be best to spread it out over the day.

But not a big problem if I had some milk, whey, and cottage cheese for like 60-70 grams of protien at the same time right?