PDA

View Full Version : eating too little and gaining weight?

bender73
08-25-2006, 10:48 PM
maybe i should say NOT LOSING WEIGHT.

5'8" and 170lbs.

i am 33yo and very active. i work-out 5x/week minimum. i try to eat healthy. i work a job where i am on my feet usually 10+ hours a day walking all over the place. i then usually hit the gym after work for 30-45 minutes.

i don't eat breakfast really and if i do its usually a muffin or something. lunch is on the go (literally sometimes eating in an elevator). dinner is usually grilled chicken with some veggies. during relaxation time with the wife its usually some sort of snack...not always "healthy." i do like a beer or 2 each night and even though some frown on beer, its been shown by the new england journal of medicine to actually be beneficial (1-2 beers daily). so, 200 empty calories of beer is not gonna give you a beer belly if you're active.

i am finding that i am probably only consuming about 1800-2100 calories per day. with my job and activity level, this is probably way too low. i would think that i would be dropping pounds like nuts!!! however, its the reverse. all this activity and low cals has little effect on my weight. i stay around 168-172lbs.!!!

any thoughts?

eating is tough at work because i don't have a job that really allows for breaks. i am in medicine (surgery).

DISCLAIMER: yes, i am in medicine, but i know very little about nutrition...that's why we consult nutritionists in the hospital. :)

thanks!

SpecialK
08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
If you have been eating very little calories for a long time, your body's metabolism may have slowed down to adapt to your reduced food intake.

Also for breakfast you could just down a protein shake. Mix up some milk, oats, protein powder, banana, natty PB, and you can have a meal made and finished in a minute.

bender73
08-26-2006, 12:36 AM
If you have been eating very little calories for a long time, your body's metabolism may have slowed down to adapt to your reduced food intake.

Also for breakfast you could just down a protein shake. Mix up some milk, oats, protein powder, banana, natty PB, and you can have a meal made and finished in a minute.

thanks!

i just got back from nantucket where i ate like a mad man...probably 3,000 calories a day. hopefully, that shocked my system a bit. :)

would raising my calories cause a change that would kick start my metabolism you think?

dissipate
08-26-2006, 02:00 AM
lots of times, cleaning up the diet helps overcome plateaus

Nosaj
08-26-2006, 03:00 AM
would raising my calories cause a change that would kick start my metabolism you think?

Yes. Also, eat many small meals throughout the day. Bring a lunchbox to work.

Jordanbcool
08-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Eat a healthy very large breakfast. Fruits, eggs, whole grain bagels and some milk.

You will lose weight.

Con
08-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Why is a very large breakfast good?(besides the 8 hour fast)
can you define very large in terms on cals?

Holto
08-26-2006, 01:24 PM

No less than your total cals / # of meals/day

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 07:47 PM
"Probably consuming" and actually consuming are 2 different things. Have you tracked what you are eating in a week? Most people eat more than they think. ;)

What are you doing for your 30-45mins. at the gym?

The alcohol could definitely be inhibiting fat loss.

Stray
08-26-2006, 07:51 PM

Some theories state that you should frontload your calories in a day - eat like a king for breakfast a pauper for dinner.

bender73
08-26-2006, 10:11 PM
"Probably consuming" and actually consuming are 2 different things. Have you tracked what you are eating in a week? Most people eat more than they think. ;)

What are you doing for your 30-45mins. at the gym?

The alcohol could definitely be inhibiting fat loss.

my consumption is low, believe me!!! there are normal days where i get up at 6am, eat maybe a muffin in the car. on the wards rounding on patients and i might get to eat a slice of pizza in the hall. then, i am non-stop until 5-6pm. right after that its some gatorade and a meal bar at the gym. home around 7pm and some chicken and veggies. a beer or 2 then maybe a snack if i am lucky. off to bed and repeat. like i said...low consumption.

I JUST CAN'T EAT AT WORK LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE!!!:bang:

there might be a time when i have not eaten lunch and then have to run to the OR to scrub in for a long surgery...there is no time to eat unless you want to let a critical patient wait for me to increase my calories.

the beer is a non-issue. its just calories and to think it causes a beer belly and such is a myth. moderation is fine.

Stray
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
my consumption is low, believe me!!! there are normal days where i get up at 6am, eat maybe a muffin in the car. on the wards rounding on patients and i might get to eat a slice of pizza in the hall. then, i am non-stop until 5-6pm. right after that its some gatorade and a meal bar at the gym. home around 7pm and some chicken and veggies. a beer or 2 then maybe a snack if i am lucky. off to bed and repeat. like i said...low consumption.

there might be a time when i have not eaten lunch and then have to run to the OR to scrub in for a long surgery...there is no time to eat unless you want to let a critical patient wait for me to increase my calories.

the beer is a non-issue. its just calories and to think it causes a beer belly and such is a myth. moderation is fine.

Can you pack like a protein bar or some jerky to snack on?

Don't eat enough and your body will canibalize muscle for energy. (not good)

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 10:41 PM

So you're getting about 50 - 60g protein/day at the most with that? Not good.

Alcohol is not just calories. It DOES inhibit fat loss. It is toxic to the body and will be burned in preference to any other nutrient consumed.

justagirrl
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Reference to the inhibition of fat loss:

Br J Nutr. 1996 Jan;75(1):33-45. Related Articles, Links

Alcohol and the regulation of energy balance: overnight effects on diet-induced thermogenesis and fuel storage.

Murgatroyd PR, Van De Ven ML, Goldberg GR, Prentice AM.

MRC Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, Cambridge.

The effect of alcohol on overnight energy expenditure and substrate disposal was studied in eleven subjects (five men, six women) using whole-body indirect calorimetry for 15.5 h after test meals. Three test meals were studied in random order with at least 48 h between treatments: control, 50% of maintenance energy needs provided as 14, 40 and 46% energy from protein, fat and carbohydrate respectively; alcohol addition, control plus 23% energy as alcohol; alcohol substitution, control with alcohol replacing 23% of carbohydrate energy. ANOVA revealed no significant sex effects. Alcohol-induced thermogenesis dissipated only 15 (SD 14)% of the alcohol energy. Alcohol addition had no significant effect on protein or carbohydrate oxidation but fat oxidation was suppressed (P < 0.0005) to an extent equivalent to storing 74 (SD 51)% of the alcohol energy as fat. Alcohol substitution reduced carbohydrate oxidation (P < 0.009) to an equivalent of 42 (SD 41)% and also spared fat (P < 0.005) to an equivalent of 59 (SD 37)% of the alcohol energy. It is concluded that alcohol has no special thermogenic capacity, and that its energy can be accounted for in a similar way to carbohydrate.

bender73
08-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Reference to the inhibition of fat loss:

Br J Nutr. 1996 Jan;75(1):33-45. Related Articles, Links

Alcohol and the regulation of energy balance: overnight effects on diet-induced thermogenesis and fuel storage.

Murgatroyd PR, Van De Ven ML, Goldberg GR, Prentice AM.

MRC Dunn Clinical Nutrition Centre, Cambridge.

The effect of alcohol on overnight energy expenditure and substrate disposal was studied in eleven subjects (five men, six women) using whole-body indirect calorimetry for 15.5 h after test meals. Three test meals were studied in random order with at least 48 h between treatments: control, 50% of maintenance energy needs provided as 14, 40 and 46% energy from protein, fat and carbohydrate respectively; alcohol addition, control plus 23% energy as alcohol; alcohol substitution, control with alcohol replacing 23% of carbohydrate energy. ANOVA revealed no significant sex effects. Alcohol-induced thermogenesis dissipated only 15 (SD 14)% of the alcohol energy. Alcohol addition had no significant effect on protein or carbohydrate oxidation but fat oxidation was suppressed (P < 0.0005) to an extent equivalent to storing 74 (SD 51)% of the alcohol energy as fat. Alcohol substitution reduced carbohydrate oxidation (P < 0.009) to an equivalent of 42 (SD 41)% and also spared fat (P < 0.005) to an equivalent of 59 (SD 37)% of the alcohol energy. It is concluded that alcohol has no special thermogenic capacity, and that its energy can be accounted for in a similar way to carbohydrate.

the N value of that study was 11? that's not a study, that's a school project!!! :)

the bottom line really is that alcohol is not to be feared like so many people on fitness boards. i guess if you want to be as big as arnold then maybe to a point. you can drink beer and be absolutely ripped and/or big. it's effects are not night/day.

obviously, i don't disagree with you that consuming alcohol in great excess is a good thing...like most things, alcohol is fine in moderation.

justagirrl
08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
the N value of that study was 11? that's not a study, that's a school project!!! :)

the bottom line really is that alcohol is not to be feared like so many people on fitness boards. i guess if you want to be as big as arnold then maybe to a point. you can drink beer and be absolutely ripped and/or big. it's effects are not night/day.

obviously, i don't disagree with you that consuming alcohol in great excess is a good thing...like most things, alcohol is fine in moderation.

You ask why something is not working. We answer why. You refute and say you will continue doing the same thing. Good luck. :)

Quattro
08-27-2006, 03:40 PM
try cleaning up that diet man. instead of the muffin for breakfast and the slice of pizza for lunch, go with whey protein + milk and oatmeal for breakfast and pack a whole wheat bread + turkey + whatever sandwhich for lunch.

if this doesnt help then try only having 1 beer instead of two. if that doesnt help then try only having the beer a few nights a week over every night. a couple small changes here and there wont be too tough but they very well could be the difference between you losing weight and not losing.

hemants
08-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Make a big smoothie every morning, take it to work in a thermal pack. Sip it all day.

Here's a recipe

Frozen berries
Natural almond butter
ground flax seeds
oat bran
protein powder

bender73
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM
You ask why something is not working. We answer why. You refute and say you will continue doing the same thing. Good luck. :)

i was kinda kidding. :)

justagirrl
08-28-2006, 08:19 PM
i was kinda kidding. :)

Kinda? LOL!

Remember: "If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always gotten."

tigo
08-28-2006, 10:01 PM

try tracking.. it seems like you would be eating more than 2000 calories

muffins, depending on the kind (im thinking costco kind?) range up to 600+ calories each, becuase they add lots of butter in it to make it nice n fluffy..

pizza can go up to 7-800 calories a slice depending.. little caesars i believe is around 2-300 calories per slice? dominos is ~ 350

gatorade ~ 200 calories for an 8 oz bottle.. if you drink the bigger ones, its more.

meal bar ~ 300? not too sur ebut i think thats it\\

grilled chicken ~ 300 cal? more if you grill with some sort of oil\butter

2 beers = ~ 300 calories total

snack = ?

can jump around .. alot of people think they're not eating much, but they dont know what theyre actaully eating

another thing is that mnaybe you're just holding a bunch of water

bender73
08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
try tracking.. it seems like you would be eating more than 2000 calories

muffins, depending on the kind (im thinking costco kind?) range up to 600+ calories each, becuase they add lots of butter in it to make it nice n fluffy..

pizza can go up to 7-800 calories a slice depending.. little caesars i believe is around 2-300 calories per slice? dominos is ~ 350

gatorade ~ 200 calories for an 8 oz bottle.. if you drink the bigger ones, its more.

meal bar ~ 300? not too sur ebut i think thats it\\

grilled chicken ~ 300 cal? more if you grill with some sort of oil\butter

2 beers = ~ 300 calories total

snack = ?

can jump around .. alot of people think they're not eating much, but they dont know what theyre actaully eating

another thing is that mnaybe you're just holding a bunch of water

thanks!

you are correct about not knowing the calories in the quick foods i ate. this past week i have been using fitday again as well as eating very clean. no more crap with only 32% carbs and 1800-2100 calories. its a shock to my system.

also, it worked great this AM having a pre-mixed shake. i mixed 2 scoops of PVL whey with 2 TBSP of natty PB. mixed in water. very filling with close to 50g of protein for a nice breakfast.

going low on carbs is tough though!!! my body is used to lots of carbs.

Built
08-29-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm seeing all kinds of weird recommendations here.

A large breakfast like Jordan is describing won't magically make you lose weight. I can't eat that way in the AM because it makes me freaking HUNGRY - for me, breakfast is half a dozen egg whites with one egg yolk and a pat of butter. Any carbs and I'm chewing my arm off all day.

Alcohol interferes with muscle repair and fat loss, plus it's empty calories. Drink if you must, but it WILL bite you in the ass with regard to body recomposition.

Eating multiple meals will do nothing to speed up your metabolism.

And are you actually tracking your diet, or just estimating?

Finally, low carb is a LOT easier on higher fat. But there's no particular reason to do so. Just aim to get in at least a gram of protein and at least a half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and the rest of your calories from whatever satisfies you.

What is your training like?

laxguy1028
08-29-2006, 07:19 PM
As Dan John would say "Did you eat breakfast? If not, don’t ask me anything about nutrition."

bender73
08-29-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm seeing all kinds of weird recommendations here.

A large breakfast like Jordan is describing won't magically make you lose weight. I can't eat that way in the AM because it makes me freaking HUNGRY - for me, breakfast is half a dozen egg whites with one egg yolk and a pat of butter. Any carbs and I'm chewing my arm off all day.

Alcohol interferes with muscle repair and fat loss, plus it's empty calories. Drink if you must, but it WILL bite you in the ass with regard to body recomposition.

Eating multiple meals will do nothing to speed up your metabolism.

And are you actually tracking your diet, or just estimating?

Finally, low carb is a LOT easier on higher fat. But there's no particular reason to do so. Just aim to get in at least a gram of protein and at least a half a gram of fat per pound LBM, and the rest of your calories from whatever satisfies you.

What is your training like?

thanks. yea, i know alcohol consumption on a bodybuilding forum is a big NO NO, but oh well. i am not going for Mr. Universe here, just a mark wahlberg-ish kind of look. you know, not huge, just lean muscle with a little bulk. mostly lower BF% but not a skinny twig. i have been lifting hard for a few years and i definitely have a solid base with good muscle definition. i just have that puffy 15%-ish BF overlying the work i have done.

i am guilty of not eating clean. but it is not easy. unless you're in medicine (especially surgery) then you simply cannot understand the lifestyle. food is a luxury and quick runs to the cafeteria are the norm. when all they have out at bizarre hours is pizza and other crap, well, its hard. i am simply not afforded the luxury of bringing a clean lunch/dinner all the time because eating comes when it comes and i don't always have the time to get to the food i brought.

i am indeed tracking my diet now and so far i have been lucky to eat well this week.