PDA

View Full Version : Video. PR on Squats. (second time doing them)

Goodwinm
08-26-2006, 06:20 AM
Okay so today was Heavy Back/Leg day. Was in bad pain across shoulders and that. (bruised from first time doing squats) whatvere not rele bothered.

Im just happy I have squatted 100kg now :) (all the weight I have) :(

Workout lookd like this

66 x 8
110 x 8
154 x 4
154 x 4
220 x 2 Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sto3hkQ1Rqw
220 x 2

I was pissed off at the pain on 154lbs so I thought. "Well If im gonna be in pain, I may aswell be in pain doing heavy weight not light ass weight" So i loaded on 220 :p

I know I should have gone lower in the squat and it probably wouldnt pass in a PL meet would it? It would be really good If I had a mirror in front of me to see how far down I was going. But thats why recording a video is pretty good to cehck my form :).

Any comments welcome.

Stumprrp
08-26-2006, 06:56 AM
awesome job mike

Bob
08-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Nice job Goodwinn...
Definitely not an ATF squat... but you are getting there...

Lighten it up a little.. and go for that full ROM... that will also help a lot to build those hammies and hip stablizers... so you won't have that shaking when you go down..

Congrats.. and keep lifting heavy..
And you better go buy some more weights soon..

Goodwinm
08-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Rob - Thanks man :)

bearwolf - Thnks dude. yer im getting there. I mean ive only been squatting for two days. I know im not gonna be hittin superior weights yet. (maybe next month :p) Yes I'll keep on at it. More weights are somethin that I really do need! Maybe for my birthday my parents might chip in and get me some 20kg plates :).

Stumprrp
08-26-2006, 08:29 AM
bear, it looked below parallel to me? lol

Goodwinm
08-26-2006, 08:33 AM
I think I jus scraped paralell.
More ATF's for me! :p

well ill be resting for the rest of today and tomorrow so i jus gotta eat loads and let my leggies grow :D

VikingWarlord
08-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I was always told to practice going parallel or lower in front of a mirror with no weight on your shoulders. The idea is that you know what it feels like when you're doing it for real.

Alex.V
08-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Lower that rack dude. Almost fell over trying to get it off the pins.

Hockey66
08-26-2006, 11:35 AM
It was right around parallel, give or take, in my opinion.

I agree with Belial, lower those pins so you're not doing a pseudo-calf raise to get it off.

cphafner
08-26-2006, 12:35 PM
I suggest your drop way back on the reps until you get the full hang of the exercise, especially since you only have those 2 tiny pegs to catch you if you miss. Also buy some damn 45's! What was there 20 plates per side?

smalls
08-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree with what has been said. ROM was Ok but I would work more on form and using a full ROM, no point in doing 2 rep maxes until you have the movement down pat.

And I would suggest the same on some other exercises. I'm just curious what your goals are, because you seem to do some rediculously heavy stuff using pretty bad form, and then on other movements you do high reps with pretty good form (judging from some of your other videos. The BO row and partial ROM pullup for examples. I think you might be getting a little overzealous as far as strength goes. Easy to hurt yourself even this early in the game bro.

WBBIRL
08-26-2006, 06:32 PM
A few things here, just some general pointers.

It seems like you have the weight sitting way to high on your shoulders, the bar sits 2-3" lower when I squat then where you have it.

Getting bigger plates will be a big help, the further out the weight is the harder it will be.

Look up when you squat, thats where your going... not forward.

Widen your stance a bit, but couldnt really get a good idea from the video.

The only way to prepare and train your back to hold heavier weights is oddly enough to put heavier weights on it. I like to do standing calf raises with the barbell for this reason alone. Ill be working in the 5-6 PPS range soon getting used to the weight again and its a big help.

And just take your time, rome wasnt built in a day

And oh yea, lower the pins about 4" lol the rests should be lower then were the bar sits on your shoulder.

Tofer
08-26-2006, 09:48 PM
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but the way you're doing it right now you could be in store for lower back problems. At the bottom of the lift your ass is coming up but your back is falling behind (if that makes any sense) for about a second. It looks like you're almost doing a partial good morning at that point. You don't want to get stuck bending forward with your ass going up that far because it puts far too much stress on the lower back. It'll require a lot more flexibility in your hips and hamstrings, but you're less likely to get injured.

Of course, I don't pretend to be a form expert, so if anyone disagrees then please say so.

Nicoman
08-26-2006, 11:52 PM
The way I do ATFs is going down and going to a point where I can hold the weight without having to press up kinda idle. Then I blast it through the top.

Just the way I do them.

I do lighter weight than most but I do have very good form because it is the only thing preventing injury while doing squats......form form form.

That weight to me looks a little too heavy watching your form. I hope you take this nicely as I am just trying to help out....

Cra-Z
08-27-2006, 12:17 AM
I must agree with Tofer here, you're pretty much just doing a good morning at the bottom, more so on the 2nd rep. Number one thing I notice is like others have said your rack is set too high, either that or you're too damn short, however you wanna look at it. :P Then I see you're shaky as hell. Whenever I goto 225 or above I wear a belt, so you might want to invest, especially considering you're not that big of a dude. I guess I don't really know because I don't remember not being able to lift that, but personally I think that starting by squating 66 lbs it's not really any good, even for warm up, unless you just want to work on your form. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe you should try warming up with about 135 and them maybe try doing so reps of about 180 until you can do 12 reps of that and then think about going a little higher. I mean, I could probably squat around 500 lbs, that's not saying it's a good idea though. As far as how high up you have the bar, I think it's personal preference. I keep my bar up pretty high too, I think the only problem arises when you are leaning forward and using the back of your neck to hold up the weight, that can't be too good for you. I think it should be resting on your traps, and delts (if they're that big. :P). Don't mean to bring you down or anything, hope some of my tips can help. Anybody feel free to correct me if you disagree. Keep liftin' bro.

Sensei
08-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Lower that rack dude. Almost fell over trying to get it off the pins.
I was thinking exactly the same thing while watching the video. It's a lot harder to start a squat or bench press tight and in good position if you are unracking the weight from pins that are too high.

Goodwinm
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
hey thanks for all the advice guys! :) Will use it all. And yes I need to lower the pins. And yer im gonna get 2 x 20kg plates so should be fun :)