PDA

View Full Version : drinking

ClingMan
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Will drinking really impare my ability of building muscle if i do it once every week or 2. by drinking i mean getting drunk, not wasted but drunk

seK
08-27-2006, 01:41 AM
What is the difference between wasted and drunk? Also yes it will slow your gains. The trade off is a choice of your own thought.

leveque
08-27-2006, 09:17 AM
I think you should be fine as long as you drink a lot of water also.

Drinking once every week or 2 isn't much at all. I'm sure there's a lot of college students in the forum that can back that up:alcoholic

drew
08-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Nope. Just eat a lot and rest a lot.

RedSpikeyThing
08-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes it will impact your muscle growth. It won't make a BIG difference, but lets face it: you're always better off NOT poisoning your body.

BTW I'm a college student who drinks and I haven't noticed any problems - granted I haven't NOT drank, so it's tough to say.

malkore
08-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Best answer: yes it has a negative impact on your muscle recovery. it won't un-do all your hard work, but you won't make the gains as quickly as if you abstained from the drink, or at the least, didn't drink until you are legally drunk.

mmnotch
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
i belive drinking cuts you test down thus impairing your ability to build muscle. it might raise you estrogen too. i have read this somewhere. but i cant remember

Mercuryblade
09-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Alcohol inhibit protein sythesis to a degree, but doesn't completely halt it. Most of the data has been done on chronic alcohol use (large amounts of alcohol over a few weeks) (EDIT: <-This case I am referring to chronic use in studies involving rats) and chronic alcohol use in humans. Rather than acute alcohol use (getting wasted). Chronic alcohol use has been shown to be linked to a decrease in muscular body mass,this is data gathered from rats that were fed alcohol in substantial amounts every day for weeks at a time, and from data gathered from alcoholics
Acute alchol use doesn't halt protein synthesis, it slows it down. It effects translational efficiency, (the stage at which amino acids are linked together to form proteins), in skeletal muscle tissue.
As far as alcohols effects on testosterone. Acute alcohol use actually temporarily increases testosterone production. Decreased testosterone levels have only been proven in chronic drinkers. The estrogen increase has also only been linked to chronic drinkers.

In other words. Enjoy alcohol in moderation, getting drunk on the weekends is not going to make huge impacts on your gains, try not to lift on fridays or saturdays if you are drinking.

TheGimp
09-01-2006, 07:00 AM
Acute alchol use doesn't halt protein synthesis, it slows it down.

Do you have some references?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Why do people drink to get drunk? Hangovers suck. You can still loosen up and have a great time without being completely plastered. =\ Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

gopher
09-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Will drinking really impare my ability of building muscle if i do it once every week or 2. by drinking i mean getting drunk, not wasted but drunk
Yes.

Mercuryblade
09-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Do you have some references?

I'm too lazy to look for articles, but look for alcohol and protein synthesis, and alot of studies will come up. I was curious about this awhile back and did some searching for studies about it, I also asked my genetics professor about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingMan
Yes.

No.

VikingWarlord
09-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Why do people drink to get drunk? Hangovers suck. You can still loosen up and have a great time without being completely plastered. =\ Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Not everyone gets hangovers. Most everyone gets the pukes though.

God damn cherry vodka.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Not everyone gets hangovers. Most everyone gets the pukes though.As long as you stay well hydrated.

TheGimp
09-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm too lazy to look for articles, but look for alcohol and protein synthesis, and alot of studies will come up.

Everything I've read on the subject says that when drinking, protien synthesis will be halted until the alcohol will be metabolised. So I'm curious where you read that this is only with regards chronic alcohol consumption.

Sidior
09-02-2006, 01:41 PM

getting sloshed can be fun, although wiskey dick sucks ass

Jordanbcool
09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I get drunk every other week and as far as I can see it hasent affected me. Atleast nothing major.

My advice is to drink up. Your only young once so have some fun. Drink plenty of water and dont do it but once a week or better yet every other week.

1) Do it on weekends when people usually soicalize anyways
2) Dont do it on a training day
3) Limit yourself to just enough..... (a few shots a handful of beers etc.) basically drink in moderation.

Seriously; before you know it your going to have 5 kids a mortgage and a evil wife. Stay safe, have fun and dont over-do it with the drinking.

-jordan

P.S. Drinking water beforehand also helps

VikingWarlord
09-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I get drunk every other week and as far as I can see it hasent affected me. Atleast nothing major.

My advice is to drink up. Your only young once so have some fun. Drink plenty of water and dont do it but once a week or better yet every other week.

1) Do it on weekends when people usually soicalize anyways
2) Dont do it on a training day
3) Limit yourself to just enough..... (a few shots a handful of beers etc.) basically drink in moderation.

Seriously; before you know it your going to have 5 kids a mortgage and a evil wife. Stay safe, have fun and dont go crazy with the drinking.

-jordan

P.S. Drinking water beforehand also helps

I learned 4 lessons last night.

1. Empty stomach + liquor = bad.
2. Don't do a night of drinking if you've only slept 3.5 hours the previous night.
3. Don't drink things that taste good. The worse it tastes, the less likely you'll overdo it.
4. The bathroom floor doesn't make for a comfortable bed.

Slim Schaedle
09-02-2006, 03:31 PM
The short answer is yes

Slim Schaedle
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I think you should be fine as long as you drink a lot of water also.

Drinking once every week or 2 isn't much at all. I'm sure there's a lot of college students in the forum that can back that up:alcoholic
How many of them are impressive?

HahnB
09-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Everyone is going to answer this question to satisfy their own agenda. Do what you want.

must_eat
09-02-2006, 10:54 PM
what about smoking alittle bit of bud? :confused:

Invain
09-02-2006, 11:11 PM
what about smoking alittle bit of bud? :confused:

Good if your on a bulk?

Stray
09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Everything I've read on the subject says that when drinking, protien synthesis will be halted until the alcohol will be metabolised. So I'm curious where you read that this is only with regards chronic alcohol consumption.

100% halted? That's silly.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Good if your on a bulk?LOL...munchies.

MJS
09-03-2006, 09:42 AM
It depends more on person to person. Everybody and every body is different. I have done a lot of research on this topic and there is no definite answer. Some people are able to gain with alcohol. The fact of the matter is though protein synthesis is decreased, and in some cases mitigated by alcohol. So even though you may be able to gain, your gains won't be as signficiant.

markdk86
09-03-2006, 09:44 AM
If you want to get drunk, and not take in a lot of calories, just take a few shots of Everclear :) Nothing like 190 proof

Slim Schaedle
09-03-2006, 10:43 AM
It depends more on person to person. Everybody and every body is different. I have done a lot of research on this topic and there is no definite answer. Some people are able to gain with alcohol. The fact of the matter is though protein synthesis is decreased, and in some cases mitigated by alcohol. So even though you may be able to gain, your gains won't be as signficiant.
This is pretty much the answer without exploring the scientific ins and outs.

If you have superior genetics then you won't have too much trouble.

Speeking from experience, regular alcohol consumption does not coincide with my ability to progress one bit. It is not a good feeling to drink regularly and do everything pretty much perfect and not make any gains, stop drinking and suddenly progress rapidly, and then think back to all the nights I could have had fun while not drinking as much and still make progress.

But, college is college. I did most of my partying and living on the edge when I was in the air force. But I also look back at my pics when I was in vegas and realize I made no gains.

Balancing fun with the chance to excel in something is a personal choice.

sharkall2003
09-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Why do people drink in the first place? Drinking is bad for the mind, which makes it bad for your body and soul. Stay away from it if you can and live a life that you can remember and enjoy with sobriety.

Sontizzle
09-03-2006, 12:06 PM
the point to bodybuilding/working out is getting in top notch shape and eating right. why throw a wrench in the gears and take a chance by getting drunk 3-4 times a month or more. thats just my 2 cents, i myself have quit drinking but on ocassion i will have a beer at a resturant (like once every 3 months).

KingWilder
09-03-2006, 07:57 PM
A lot of people aren't here for bodybuilding purposes. Some of us just want to improve our bodies and drinking a few times a month IMO isn't going to hinder anything significantly (and please don't spew off that "well this site is only for bodybuilders" bull, because I think by now we all know there are a wide array of people with diff. goals on here", many which are NOT bodybuilding)

I for one enjoy getting drunk occassionally...you only live once, make it fun...for some that means drinking, for others maybe not. Do what you feel is good for you and your goals.

tigo
09-04-2006, 04:17 AM
unless youre cutting i think youre fine

a beer = ~145 cal with like 7ish g carbs

sad that i only let myself drink 1 a week cuz im cutting :(

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 09:56 AM
unless youre cutting i think youre fine

a beer = ~145 cal with like 7ish g carbs

sad that i only let myself drink 1 a week cuz im cutting :(
This is exactly where the majority of the population has an obscured view of alcohol.

Calorie content is not the only thing that matters.

Mercuryblade
09-04-2006, 02:42 PM
So even though you may be able to gain, your gains won't be as signficiant.

It's slowing down synthesis in your body for a few hours out of an entire week, it's really not going to make a huge difference.

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 02:49 PM
It's slowing down synthesis in your body for a few hours out of an entire week, it's really not going to make a huge difference.
So you can speak for all the lifters/drinkers out there besides yourself?

Mercuryblade
09-04-2006, 07:50 PM
If you are getting wasted 1x or 2x and are not a chronic alcholic then yes.
http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/284/5/E874
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=2453317&dopt=Abstract

I'm not trying to convince people to drink or not to drink, I almost lost my sister to alcoholism this past year (shes only 26 years old), if anything I should have an unfair bias against it. I'm just trying to keep people from making uniformed decisions.

bender73
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
GENES!!!

Colin Farrell...
he is NOT huge - but he is very cut. and, from what i understand, he is a very heavy drinker.

http://www.colinfarrellfansite.com/gallery/albums/candids/london01.jpg

i am not condoning his actions, but he seems to be pretty cut. some people here might just want to get their BF% down and look good.

HahnB
09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

tigo
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
This is exactly where the majority of the population has an obscured view of alcohol.

Calorie content is not the only thing that matters.

care to elaborate?

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 09:56 PM
care to elaborate?
At the moment I don't feel like going into stuff that can be easily googled.

The issue of protein synthesis has already come up, so that is one issue aside from calories.

Think of it this way....let's say gasoline had calories. If we were to drink gasoline, calorie content would hardly be the least of our worries.

(Disclaimer: I am not making a comparison of alcohol to gasoline or saying they are similar)

TheGimp
09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
care to elaborate?

Off the top of my head:

Decreased test, decreased GH, decreased protein synthesis, increased estrogen.

MJS
09-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Off the top of my head:

In 9 words, exactly. :thumbup:

Mercuryblade
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM

Decreased testosterone,and increased estrogen are all linked to chronic alcohol use.
Acute alcohol ingestion actually boosts testosterone temporarily (temporarily being the key word- as in for a brief period of time after acute alcohol ingestion, acute alcohol ingestion will not raise test levels in a way that will benefit lifting). Long term decreases in GH are only linked to chronic alcohol use. Acute alcohol use will lower GH blood plasmodic levels during sleep, but GH levels return to normal levels the next night.

Like I said before, don't lift on the days you drink.

Slim Schaedle
09-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Like I said before, don't lift on the days you drink.
And lift the next day and have a ****ty workout

bender73
09-05-2006, 10:36 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

it has a lot to do with this thread actually!!! :)

i am merely stating that drinking will impact people in different ways. some might be able to get loaded a lot and get big. other people might have their gains severely diminished. others might simply want to be cut.

the point being is that GENES play a huge role. some people can consume a lot of beer daily and look awesome where others just look chubby because they have a different metabolism.

TheGimp
09-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Acute alcohol ingestion actually boosts testosterone temporarily

In women.