PDA

View Full Version : Question about Robboe's Egg article

goobermor
02-02-2002, 12:23 AM
im a bit lost, after reading Maki's article on protien, and then Robboe's article on eggs, I don't see how eggs are a good source of protien. Here, I'm talking volume wise....cause the amount of eggs I would have to eat in a day to keep my protien intake up is insane.

Is it not so much the grams of protien in eggs that are valuable, as it is how well the body absorbs this protien?

Slim Schaedle
02-02-2002, 12:27 AM
I find that eggs work well when i want some extra protein for a meal. For example, if I eat a can of tuna, but I want more than just 30 grams pro......I add an egg. I'm not one to eat an egg, and 5 more whites for a meal....or a whole dozen for that matter

goobermor
02-02-2002, 12:41 AM
yeah, and for running around, hard boiled eggs are an easy source of protien to carry around

then again when i look at protien bars with almost 30g of protien, then im scratching my head

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 04:23 AM
The article isn't telling you to eat only eggs from protein.

If you're eating 6 meals a day and shooting for 30-40g potein per meal, a meal consisting of say 2 whole eggs and 6 whites will achieve this objective. Obviously you're gonna be eating other sources sources of protein to keep your protein up. Over the course of the day, if you're getting in 30-40g protein per meal you're gonna get between 180-240g protein a day! That's prolly more than enough, unless you're like 250lbs.

Having two meals a day consisting of 2 whole eggs and 6 whites is a lot cheaper than say 2 sirloin steak meals. In fact, eggs are prolly the cheapest [correct me if i'm wrong here] and one of the best BV proteins on earth!

Spiderman
02-02-2002, 05:24 AM
You're right Chicken_Daddy. They do have a high BV, but not very high. As for the nutrient content eggs are very good because they have a full array of the essential amino acids.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 05:31 AM
The BV of an egg is/was the standard, hence, why a whole egg = 100. Egg white = 88.

Only recently [within the past several years] has it came out that whey proteins have a higher BV. the standard whey BV is 104.

goobermor
02-02-2002, 11:08 AM
thanks for the info ;)

I'm thinking that I should compile a list of my daily intake to get it critiqued, and maybe make some suggestions on where to fit protien in :)

so far im trying to eat 8 meals a day, but I think most of my protien comes from eating peanut butter & tuna fish sandwhiches on bread...which is like 52g of protien.

Should it be a concern if my dad has a high cholesteral? (sp heh) He doesn't eat extremely well, and theres no way to tell if his raised levels are from genetics (which I should be extremely concerned about), or just a function of his diet.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 11:11 AM
Is it just him or does his side of the family have a history of high cholesterol?

btw, interesting combo. Doc's gonna love ya! ;)

sure, throw your diet up, we'll see how it looks. :)

Maki Riddington
02-02-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by goobermor
im a bit lost, after reading Maki's article on protien,

*** What lost you?

the doc
02-02-2002, 12:58 PM
thanks for the info ;)

so far im trying to eat 8 meals a day, but I think most of my protien comes from eating peanut butter & tuna fish sandwhiches on bread...which is like 52g of protien.

LMAO!
that would be an excellent meal if i was eating bread!
right now its just tuna from the can and pb
Today i'm gonna spice up my day and add some cottage cheese for added squatting power...lol

goobermor
02-02-2002, 06:36 PM
maki, what lost me wasnt your article itself, but the comparison in the eggs article on the second page, half way down, where it talks about BV's of different substances.

guess i should have phrased my statement better, cause your article talked about protien intake gram wise, while Robboe tried to show that the efficiency of the protien in an egg made it a good source for protien (cause an egg by itself isnt extremely high in protien....gram wise)

thus, im caught at a loss, cause i have your article which says i should try to get in as much as 1 gram per pound of body weight of protien...or even more

so, should i be worried about the BV of the protien source im intaking?

just as an example....(speaking theoretically), if you had two people intaking protien, and the first person only ate eggs in a day and got 150g of protien. While the other person got 200g of protien from a substance with half the BV value of eggs....would the higher BV value of the eggs make up for the lack of pure volume ingested by the first person?

goobermor
02-02-2002, 06:40 PM
my last post was getting sorta long winded so im making this a seprate post

The_Chicken_Daddy, I'll try and find out if this is a problem within the family or just an odd occurance. Although, it doesnt bode well for it being an odd occurance, cause my uncle also has a high cholesterol. :cry:

btw, thank you all for your help, hopefully one day ill have enough knowledge to start answering some questions, instead of raising them ;)

Maki Riddington
02-02-2002, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by goobermor
[B]
thus, im caught at a loss, cause i have your article which says i should try to get in as much as 1 gram per pound of body weight of protien...or even more

*** I stated that getting more than the RDA will be benificial. How much you should take in is determined by the demands of your weight training program.

so, should i be worried about the BV of the protien source im intaking?

*** To a certain extent, as long as your supplying the body with enough quality protein ( complete proteins such as eggs) to meet the demands of your exercise you'll be fine.

just as an example....(speaking theoretically), if you had two people intaking protien, and the first person only ate eggs in a day and got 150g of protien. While the other person got 200g of protien from a substance with half the BV value of eggs....would the higher BV value of the eggs make up for the lack of pure volume ingested by the first person?

*** Sorry, I'm not following you here.:(

Jane
02-02-2002, 09:24 PM
I make good omlettes. :)

Nice article robboe...
And yes, they are cheap and easy to prepare, gotta love 'em. :)

goobermor
02-03-2002, 01:13 PM
hehe sorry about the confusing example
guess i'll make it simplier

say i have a choice between two foods to eat
one is an egg with 6 grams of protien
the other is dry beans with 10 grams of protien

now the egg has almost double the BV of the dry beans, would that mean the egg is more beneficial protien wise, eventhough it has 4 less grams of protien?

body
02-03-2002, 04:13 PM
hehe sorry about the confusing example
guess i'll make it simplier

say i have a choice between two foods to eat
one is an egg with 6 grams of protien
the other is dry beans with 10 grams of protien

now the egg has almost double the BV of the dry beans, would that mean the egg is more beneficial protien wise, eventhough it has 4 less grams of protien?

it will depand slighlty on what you have eaten earlier that day. also assuming complete absorption etc.

if you were only to eat beans or egg. then I would go for the eggs as its a complete protein source. when you mix two foods the BV alter anyway.

the beans have a none or a insignificant level of a amino acid. I am not sure which one it is9as my refernce book is 5 foot away and I am comfortable). but if you have it with bread. bread has the missing amino.
thats why they tell veggies to eat beans on toast.

i would eat both - but only as i like eating