PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and Cutting every other week?

crazyskater52
08-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, what would happen if you cut one week and the next week bulk and so on and so on. So that the one week you get rid of some fat and the next week you increase the cals a lil above maintenance to slow bulk, would that work? And if no y not?

clawhammer_33
08-27-2006, 03:32 PM
It would not work.

You would throw yourself into feast/famine mode causing your body to retain more cals as fat on bulk phase, and burn muscle on cut phase.

branman
08-28-2006, 05:39 AM
wasting your time
you're body will no understand what you're trying to do

Paladyr
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, what would happen if you cut one week and the next week bulk and so on and so on. So that the one week you get rid of some fat and the next week you increase the cals a lil above maintenance to slow bulk, would that work? And if no y not?

I don't think it would work very well. Personally, as long as I'm slow bulking and counting calories, I don't see any excess weight worth cutting until at least 5 or 6 weeks.

If you are slow bulking, you wouldn't be eating enough excess calories to gain 1lb of fat, so you wouldn't need to take a whole week to cut.

I think bulking for 4-6 weeks and then dieting 1-2 weeks would be a better idea than alternating every week. Really though, you should just slow bulk and then cut for a week or two if you notice too much excess fat.

Holto
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I personally really like the idea of short cuts and bulks.

I think a week is a little crazy though, and as of yet I haven't tried anything like this.

I just know I get my best gains with short bulks and get my best results cutting in the first 3-4 weeks.

I would really like to come up with a system based on lbs.

For example.

Subject is at 225 @ 15%. Goal is 205 @ 10 %.

Subject employs the bulk 5 cut 8 strategy. The result is that they are moving closer to their end goal.

Another example.

Subject is at 170 @ 10%. Goal is 200 @ 15 %.

Subject employs the bulk 8 cut 4 strategy. In the event that they gain 50/50 LBM/adipose then the 4lb cut is the fat they just gained. Coming off the cut primes their body for bulking by increasing cellular sensitivity. Coming off the bulk primes their body for cutting by stoking the metabolism.

Also, the greatest benefit of this concept is your metabolism will not flatline with short cuts.

Eszekial
08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
Short bulks / cuts are ideal in my opinion. It's just a lot easier to do long bulks / cuts (for some people).

I''ve been doing short bulks/cuts for about 1 month now. I've gained about 5 lbs, of which most is muscle.

1 week does seem extreme though. It probably works exactly the same, if not better than traditional methods, but anecdotally you proabably would be dissapointed as you might not "see" the gains as fast unless you are very strict on both parts.

justagirrl
08-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Have you read the UD2.0 by Lyle McDonald?

It's kind of similar to what you're talking about. You can lose bodyfat and gain mass in 7 day increments. It's definitely not easy though. ;)

Steele
08-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Slow bulk it ;)

-Steele

kmatt42
08-30-2006, 09:50 AM
It is along the same lines as the ABCDE diet
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_59abcde
A few years back, a magazine I used to work for published something called the ABCDE, or Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise, program ........

Anthony
08-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I just know I get my best gains with short bulks and get my best results cutting in the first 3-4 weeks.

Water weight?

crazyskater52
08-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Have you read the UD2.0 by Lyle McDonald?

I havn't read it but I will now in a sec, thank you :-)

It is along the same lines as the ABCDE diet
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....e=body_59abcde
A few years back, a magazine I used to work for published something called the ABCDE, or Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise, program ........

What do you guys think about this? It goes against some stuff I have read here a million times, also says it peaks at 40 days.

I think I'm goign to start doing slow and short bulks and short cuts. Maybe two-3 weeks bulk and 1-2 weeks cut like Paladyr said. I gained quite a bit of fat from the past month on vacation. Should I bulk for 1-2 weeks more (now that i'm home and can do it right) and then cut for 2-3 weeks, and after that bulk 2 weeks and cut 3 weeks, until I get rid of the fat like that and then after i can do what Paladyr said about 2-3 weeks bulk and 1-2 weeks cut?

TheGimp
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Water weight?

In the case of bulking I would imagine it would be a more favourable p-ratio and in the case of cutting faster fat loss before metabolic shutdown kicks in (although this can of course be negated by refeeding)

Holto
08-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Water weight?

I can't see me losing water weight beyond the first week.

Paladyr
08-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I havn't read it but I will now in a sec, thank you :-)

What do you guys think about this? It goes against some stuff I have read here a million times, also says it peaks at 40 days.

I think I'm goign to start doing slow and short bulks and short cuts. Maybe two-3 weeks bulk and 1-2 weeks cut like Paladyr said. I gained quite a bit of fat from the past month on vacation. Should I bulk for 1-2 weeks more (now that i'm home and can do it right) and then cut for 2-3 weeks, and after that bulk 2 weeks and cut 3 weeks, until I get rid of the fat like that and then after i can do what Paladyr said about 2-3 weeks bulk and 1-2 weeks cut?

I skim read the ABC diet thing, and it sounds interesting. I know I do feel my best and most energetic the first couple weeks after starting a bulk, so maybe there's something to it.

I would say give it a try if you're interested, but I would prefer doing a 4-6 week bulk, 2 week diet plan, because I don't think that I need as much time to diet as I need to bulk, so putting 5 days towards bulking and 5 towards dieting would actually slow me down.