PDA

View Full Version : Romanian DLs - hip pop

Bob
08-28-2006, 04:39 PM
So I have always liked RDLs for the hammies.. and just read recently that you are supposed to actually keep your grip all the way out to Snatch Grip... a lot wider then I had done them previously.. and it seems to put a lot more stress on my hammies with even "light" weight.

Today, I happened to do them in front of a mirror at the gym.. and saw something strange. As I was lowering the weight, when the bar reached just above knee level, my hips (or something) seemed to pop in the mirror.. so that my thighs were now displaced wider by about 1 more inch. It looked weird, but I didn't really "feel" anything. And it would do it on every rep.

What is this action by the body? Is it the hips flexors "popping" over the hip joint/bone? Or is the hip "dislocating" for comfort?

Any exercise physiologists out there?

drew
08-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I think you need to send a PM to Eric Cressy. :D

Bob
09-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Thanks Drew.. I'll give that a try.. see if he can answer back in this thread..

anyone else with thoughts?

Eric Cressey
09-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Snapping hip syndrome is pretty common and can be caused by a variety of factors. Most commonly, you're looking at tightness in one or more of the hip flexors. I would do some foam rolling on your TFL/ITB and rectus femoris and stretch 'em out. Glute activation work will help the cause.