PDA

View Full Version : slightly confused

Reinier
02-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Basically carbs are forms of glucose which can consist of long or short carbohydrate streams depending on their GI rate.
correct?

After these have been simplified to glucose the rate of which depends on its gi and the length of the streams they go into your bloodstream.
correct?

This glucose is used as fuel for your cells and will when not used be changed into fat (where, how) and become adipose fat.
correct?

Carbs can cause a bloat (HOW)
Carbs can fill out muscles (HOW)

Im not sure on any of these, please clear things up for me

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 11:46 AM
o-kaaaaaaay.....

carbohydrate in it's simplest form = glucose. called monosaccharide. [damn that looks weird written down. is it spelled/spelt wrong?]

two glucose molecules = disaccharide.

several = polysaccharide.

GI has little to do with their structure. For example, fructose is a monosaccharide and is relatively low GI. Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer [polysaccharide] and yet it has a high GI. There are also low GI complex carbs like oatmeal and high GI simple carbs like dextrose [glucose].

so structure means nothing in relation to GI.

The GI measures the rise in blood-glucose levels after carbohydrate consumption. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between GI and carbohydrate breakdown in the gut, but i suspect there is one to some degree.

if muscle and liver glycogen stores are full then excess carbs will 'spill over'. I know that certain fatty acids can be convert from carbs in a process of 'elongation' [best way to describe it - quite difficult to otherwise] but whther this is the way in which all carbs are converted to fat [if in fact they are] i'm not entirely sure.

carbs can bloat by making you retain water.

carbs can fill out muscles by making you retain water.

Reinier
02-02-2002, 12:04 PM
o-kaaaaaaay.....

carbohydrate in it's simplest form = glucose. called monosaccharide. [damn that looks weird written down. is it spelled/spelt wrong?]

two glucose molecules = disaccharide.

several = polysaccharide.

GI has little to do with their structure. For example, fructose is a dissaccharide [quite simple] and yet is relatively low GI. Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer [polysaccharide] and yet it has a high GI. There are also low GI complex carbs like oatmeal and high GI simple carbs like dextrose [glucose].

**so the difference is in the number of molecules that are combined rather than in the number of for instance Carbon atoms in one of these molecules. does this mean that number is always the same? just what is the chemical formula for these?**

so structure means nothing in relation to GI.

**must be some chemical difference between the substances or they would be equal**

The GI measures the rise in blood-glucose levels after carbohydrate consumption. I'm not sure if there is a correlation between GI and carbohydrate breakdown in the gut, but i suspect there is one to some degree.

**wouldn`t this have to be the whole thing about GI?**

if muscle and liver glycogen stores are full then excess carbs will 'spill over'. I know that certain fatty acids can be convert from carbs in a process of 'elongation' [best way to describe it - quite difficult to otherwise] but whther this is the way in which all carbs are converted to fat [if in fact they are] i'm not entirely sure.

**anything that has calories can be changed to fat or otherwise there would be 40000 kcal diets you wouldn`t gain fat on. if anybody can go deeper into this, please do**

carbs can bloat by making you retain water.

**how do they make you retain water? is this a concentration balancing thing?**

carbs can fill out muscles by making you retain water

**is the amount of water in a muscle a truely determining factor in the size of a muscle? clearly visible?**

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Fu*k me!

I've listend to 'ave maria' three times now to clear my head for this but it's still cloudy. That is indeed a first!

I think you're thinking about the Glycemic index too much man...

The reason diff foods have diff GI ratings is cause of the structure of the food and not the carb structure itself. For example, fruit has lots of fibre and cells and this has to be broken down first before it can increase blood-sugar levels. Stuff like malto and dextrose doesn;t have this problem and so can quickly be digested.

"**wouldn`t this have to be the whole thing about GI?**"

Like i said, i suspect there is a correlation.

I'll look into how carbs are converted to fat. Protein will prolly go the same route, but it'll have to go through gluconeogenesis first.

ok, carbohydrate stored in the body = glycogen.

When converting carbs to glycogen, the body uses water for it's OH and O to make bonds.

Here's glucose:

http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/catalog/Compound/C00031.gif

One molecule of water is 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen [H2O] The body breaks down water to use the OH and O to form the bonds which join together glucose molecules and form glycogen, as shown:

http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/catalog/Compound/C00182.gif

This is why carbs bloat you and make you reatin water.

~gasp~

The amount of water affects weight quite a lot f your muscles are big enough, but size? well, put it this way - if you're feeling 'flat' you know about it...

Praetorian
02-02-2002, 02:04 PM
:clap:

BTW.. U should listen to Für Elise by Beethoven...it clears up the mind in secunds...

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 02:16 PM
Fur elise = aight.

Moonlight sonata = the best ever classical piece.

Reinier
02-02-2002, 02:29 PM
soo..... glycogen is glucose molecules joint together using OH and O taken from water, and it is the form of carb that is in the bloodstream?

and Glucose is that benzeen type molecule in the first...

and when you eat lots of carbs the body will hold on to more water instead of pissing it out in order to have enough water for this process?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
soo..... glycogen is glucose molecules joint together using OH and O taken from water, and it is the form of carb that is in the bloodstream?

No. I told you that glycogen is the stored type of carb. It's too big to enter the blood stream. Carbs in the blood stream = glucose.

and Glucose is that benzeen type molecule in the first...

is 'benzeen' the dutch way of spelling 'benzene'? if so, yes. Glucose has a benzene-kinda structure.

and when you eat lots of carbs the body will hold on to more water instead of pissing it out in order to have enough water for this process?

more or less yes...