PDA

View Full Version : Difference between calorie formulas...

ancom41
08-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Let me start by giving you my stats. I am 21 years of age, 6'2, 174lbs, and 2 weeks into my clean bulk. Prior to the beginning of my bulk, my weight was stable at 168-170lbs at roughly 2500 calories a day. I've tried several calorie formulas first of which was the one included in the sticky "what a body builder eats". This gave me a rough estimate of about 2,900 calories a day to stay healthy (not including the bulk). I aimed my bulk calorie number at about 3,500 calories a day, plus 2g protein per 1lb body weight. I have been logging my diet on fitday.com and keeping track of my caloric intake as well as protein consumption. One of the options under reports in fitday is a calorie report. This report tells me that I burn 3,400 calories a day (without my weight routine added in). I understand this is based on height, weight, and lifestyle, but this number seems high since my weight was stable on a 2,500 calorie diet. Not only this, If this number is correct, that means that with the calories burnt from my weight routine, even with the extra calories i've been consuming, I should be losing weight - not gaining. I understand the obvious solution to this, eat more. But the point of this post is not so much for advice (since the answer to the problem is blatently obvious), it is more to understand the details of these numbers. Are there discrepencies in these formulas? Is there a better source for this information? Do any of these numbers listed sound high/low? Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

Eszekial
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
The only way you are going to know your maintenance is by tracking and watching your weight, it's going to be different for everybody for a variety of reasons.

That being said, the maintenance cals on fitday are for me at least, way too high.

Trust your numbers, your scale, and your mirror. Don't worry about what fitday says.

Built
08-29-2006, 03:15 PM
You really can't use a calculator for this stuff - do what we all do: track your intake on fitday, and weigh yourself. If you don't gain or lose, that's maintenance. If you want to gain, add about 10-20% to this. If you want to cut, drop 10-20% from YOUR maintenance.

Don't even TRY to calculate what you burn. It's just an estimate that fits population averages, not YOU in particular. Nobody really uses those formulae.

ancom41
08-29-2006, 03:17 PM
*smacks head*

malkore
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
but for the record, Fitday's 'lifestyle' selector box doesn't appear to use the right multipliers for calculating BMR. they are definitely on the high side in my opinion.
their definition of a seated desk job 9 hours a day translates to 1700 extra calories burned, just sitting on my ass.

And like Built says, even teh best BMR + activity calculation is still just a good estimate. you need to track calories and weight/bodyfat to really determine what your maintenance is, so you can +/- 10-20% to bulk or lean out.

ancom41
08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Thats what i've done in the past.. I was just confused when i saw those numbers.. i usually just use the formulas for a rough baseline.

ddegroff
08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with what the rest said. It's real simple you gained atleast 4lbs in the last two weeks. Keep doing what your doing it's working.