PDA

View Full Version : things about Fats

Reinier
02-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Fats come as monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated.
correct?

In most cases the saturated fats are the ones to avoid eating.
correct?

Fat has no muscle building/repairing use, and its calories are only usefull to be burnt as fuel so that carbs and protein are spared and can be used for building/repairing muscle.
For fat to be burned it must also be changed into glucose (where, how)
correct?

How does fat aid hormone levels, or a fat deficit ruin hormone levels?

Ive heard terms like omega - (number) on here sometimes what are those and how should the knowledge of them be applied i your diet and why?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 11:31 AM
add me (jumbo_schlong@hotmail.com) to your msn list and i'll sort you out with something.

Delphi
02-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Fat is a glycerol molecule with each of its 3 carbon molecules attached to a fatty acid. The glycerol molecule can be reused by various pathways. The fatty acids are broken down to smaller substrates. It's really simple stuff- look here (http://www.tokyo-center.genome.ad.jp/kegg/dblinks/map/map00071.html). heh heh :D

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-02-2002, 12:01 PM
Delphi, you described a triglyceride, but not 100% correctly.

Triglycerides are a type of fat - the most abundant in fact. There is a glycerol molecule with three fatty acid chains. It's structure is like this:

using your hand, hold up your fore, middle and ring finger. Think of your hand as the glycerol and the fingers as the fatty acids. Cool huh?

Glycerol has to be onverted to glucose by the liver before it's used tho.

Oh, and that link was NOT "simple stuff". tuttut

;)

Reinier
02-02-2002, 12:13 PM
all nice and all but i still dont see the link to mono/poly unsaturated or saturated fats, or omegas