PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Workout Nutrition Absorbtion time...

ancom41
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Due to a busy schedule, Im forced to workout at 6:30 am. Because I walk from the gym to work (parking is tolled, and the walk is <1 mile) I am unable to have a post-workout shake. I do however have a high-protein Boost post-workout (15g protein, 200 cals, cant remember fat content off the top of my head). I have my first meal of the day about an hour or two after my workout. I drink my shake w/ 40g whey after I get home from work. I understand the importance of pre-workout nutrition, but I am unclear of the benifits in my situation. Because of the tight time frame, I only have time for a meal/snack about 15-30 minutes prior to workout. Does this small window leave enough time for absorbtion? Is there a particularily fast absorbing meal I could have pre-workout? Perhaps a shake prior? Not only this, Shouldnt I add some sort of carb for post-workout? Can you guys think of anything that doesnt need any preparation that i could throw into my gym bag before i leave? I could use any suggestions on pre or post-workout nutriotion. Thanks.

Eszekial
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I think you ment to say pre in some places where you said post, or the other way around... Fix it so we can help you.

You say you don't have a post workout shake but then next say you do have a high protein boost post workout... What does this mean?

Pre-Workout absorption is generally accepted as 1 hour for the fastest carb types. Again though, don't stress it too much. Test is highest right after you wake up, so take advantage of it.

ancom41
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Just checked it.. everything is correct.. is there something i need to clarify?

PUMPER
08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I have my best workouts when I can sleep in on a day off and go for a big breakfast. Within 15 or 20 minutes after eating I am working out. Now, you are saying...duh...that is nothing like my situation. However, I often eat for an hour at night before bed and get up...workout without breakfast and no pre-workout meal. Without sounding like a rambling idiot...my point is this.

If you cannot eat pre-630 am...eat big the night before when you are getting ready for bed...these calories and protein will hold you over till your first meal after you have worked out and are at your job for the day. Many may disagree with this because of the old tale..."never eat after 800pm"...I say whatever! If you are concerned about gaining fat, just eat as clean as possible before you sleep. I often get up...two or three times a night for a bathroom break and drink a glass of milk with chocolate syrup...by the time I get up I am ready for action... full of protein, piss and vinegar!

ancom41
08-30-2006, 02:34 PM
If you cannot eat pre-630 am...eat big the night before when you are getting ready for bed
I would much rather eat pre-workout. Thanks though.

Eszekial, Ill try and clarify my questions:

1. I can eat a pre-workout meal only 15-30 minutes prior to workout. Is this enough time for proper absorbtion. Is there a particularily fast absorbing food that I can eat prior to workout? Perhaps a shake?

2. I dont have time or the ability to make a post-workout shake so i substitute with a "Boost Protein Plus" brand drink (15g protein, 240 cals, 5g fat) Is this to my advanatage? Should I add a carb of some sort to post workout? If so, Do you have any suggestions of a post-workout meal/snack that requires no prep and can be thrown into a gym bag?

Eszekial
08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
I personally am also a firm believer that eating before bed is no big deal. That being said, i'd stick with the pre-workout meal. Prepare a shake before bed, drink it as soon as you get up. 15-30 minute isn't enough, but it sure as hell is better than nothing! There are a lot of benefits to pre-workout nutrtion. But again, don't stress it.

Ideally, i would recommend a real meal, but if time is of the essence, throw in about 30 grams of fast acting carbs and an equal amount of protein.

I don't know what's in these power boosts of yours, but hey, 240 calories isn't bad, so why not! Remember, pwo nutrtion is often overly stressed, especially if you read muscle mags and what not. the PWO window is technically 48 hours after a weight training event! So you definetly have the opportunity to take in a few meals in that time :D.

Again, get some good food in, but don't stress this too much.

And real food when you can. Relying on too much protein supplements will eventually make you sick.

ancom41
08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Could you give me an example of a fast acting carb? Or for that matter, a small pre-workout meal that you would suggest for my circumstances?

Slim Schaedle
08-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Could you give me an example of a fast acting carb? Or for that matter, a small pre-workout meal that you would suggest for my circumstances?
Dextrose and a little whey protein before (make it as big or as little as your stomach can tolerate or to fit in your daily caloric goal)

Same immediately after (put another in your gym bag and drink after)

OR Eat a meal after instead of a shake

OR drink a shake after and eat food when you get home

Eszekial
08-30-2006, 04:14 PM
White Bread Bagel with cream cheese and a glass of 0% milk with some protein powder. Brown or white rice, potatoes, your options are wide open.

You're going to be looking for dextrose from a ubrew to use if you go protein shake style.

ancom41
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Oatmeal a fast acting carb by chance?

Slim Schaedle
08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Oatmeal a fast acting carb by chance?
Go with dextrose

dtshen
08-30-2006, 07:36 PM
so how mnay min before my workout do i take dex + protein

Ricochet_kid
08-30-2006, 08:17 PM
2. I dont have time or the ability to make a post-workout shake

Why not? You can make up a whole bunch of shakes in Nalgene bottles on Sunday and you're ready to go for the whole week. This takes NO time. I usually put 2 scoops of whey in there, and 4+ tablespoons of dextrose 4+tablespoons of maltodextrin. This has almost 50g protein and takes NO time during your busy mornings.

so i substitute with a "Boost Protein Plus" brand drink (15g protein, 240 cals, 5g fat) Is this to my advanatage? Should I add a carb of some sort to post workout? If so, Do you have any suggestions of a post-workout meal/snack that requires no prep and can be thrown into a gym bag?

Those canned shakes are usually overpriced, and I would hardly call 15g protein a significant protein boost. I recently started buying these little cans of flavored tuna and I keep a whole bunch of them in my cabinet at work for a quick snack with zero prep. They have atleast 15g protein, don't require refrigeration, and you can eat them out of the can. (And they actually taste pretty good.) If you eat two of those you'll get about twice the protein versus your "boost" shake thing plus it's real food, and it's probably cheaper.

Last time I bought some of those cans they were about $1 each. I don't know if they were on sale though. I bought a whole shtload of them.

Ok, here's a link to the tuna I'm referring to: http://www.cloverleaf.ca/productDetail.php?iProductID=101&language=en
It took me for ever to find it so you'd better buy some and love it. :D

By the way, don't buy dextrose or maltodextrin at the supplement shop. They overprice it huge. Go to a place where you can make your own beer. You can both of them in bulk there and it's super cheap, a fraction of what you'd pay at the supplement shop.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Ricochet_kid
08-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Just to clarify:
I used to have protein/dex pre-workout and it made me kind of queezy during the workout. Now I stick with creatine/dextrose/gatorade PRE & during workout and that works good to keep my energy level up, and keep me from yawning.

Then afterward is when I have the double protein shake/dex/malto that I was talking about.

The tuna is just for whenever I want a snack.

ddegroff
08-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Oat meal isn't fast enough for your time frame. Stick with dextrose as Slim and Zek suggested. I've had pretty good success powdered gatorade and vanilla nitrean (for pre and post). I usally only do 12g or so of Protein for pre and up that for post workout.

Really the best way to go about it is play around with amounts till you find what works for you.

Holto
08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Ditch the boost, pack a shake in your gymbag. Add water to the shake when you need to drink it.