PDA

View Full Version : Bench Technique

JustinASU
09-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I know most heavy benchers advocate lowering the bar to just underneath the sternum to have it hit the peak of your arch (read: your gut stickin up). I also know that one should flare the lats and attempt to "push themselves through the bench" to get the weight back up. Is it natural for the bench to have a backwards curve when pressing up so that the weight travels back towards your face a bit? This seems natural when flaring the lats.

waynedang
09-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Metal Militia benches this way. Wolfe can answer this better but I believe west side is more of a straight bar path.

Chris Rodgers
09-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Most people who arch and bring the bar low, bring it back up towards the face while flaring the elbows and locking it out.

Hughes
09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
For me, I focus on keeping the bar traveling in a straight line. It is much easier to do when I raw bench; I'm just beginning to venture into shirt benching, but I've noticed the shirt tends to make the bar travel towards the face some. However, it is still my preference regardless to press in a straight-line.

waynedang
09-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Here is a vid of a MM bar path. You can see where I would have been stuck with a straight path. Once you learn to drift the weight back you will be able to lock more lifts out. It just takes time to learn it.

http://media.putfile.com/WayneProse2

JustinASU
09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Here is a vid of a MM bar path. You can see where I would have been stuck with a straight path. Once you learn to drift the weight back you will be able to lock more lifts out. It just takes time to learn it.

http://media.putfile.com/WayneProse2

Thanks for the vid Wayne. The lifter in the vid is wearing a shirt. Bare in mind that I am training raw for the time being. Do you guys think this rule changes for those benching raw? I noticed that Hughes mentioned since he benches raw he focusing on bringing the bar up in a straight line. Thoughts?

KevinStarke
09-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Even raw I like to bring the bar a little low and then bring it over my face as I flair my elbows to lock it out. I find it much easider to break the bar off my chest if I bring it low. Learning when to pull it back takes some practice but I definitelly enjoy that technique.

Hazerboy
09-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Doesn't bringing it towards your face increase your ROM though?

drew
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I always benched a sort of hybrid style, MM but with a straight path. I'm learning how to bring it back and turn the elbows out to get it locked. It seems to be helping.

Darracq
09-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Doesn't bringing it towards your face increase your ROM though?

Yes a little bit, but when i get stuck i start flaring my arms and then the weight goes right up. I am much stronger touching low and pressing toward my head.

waynedang
09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
I also bench this way raw. I don't touch as low maybe the bottom of my ribs. Once you learn to bench this way it makes locking out weight much easier. If you see a straight line bencher miss a weight it will shoot up really fast, stall then staight back down fast. If you bench back and up you can float it until you get your elbows flared and then basicly do a rack lock out. Hope this helps

Wayne

Westsidemonster
09-05-2006, 04:25 AM
I've heard the proper way to bench is to actually push the weight down, almost like if you were doing a decline bench...I never heard of pushing the way towards the face...I'm not sure which one is the right and/or proper way to do it, I guess I bench in a straight line, I've learned to use my lats a lot, I arch a lot and I keep my shoulder blades all the way back, and I lower the bar down to the area just below the nipple. I've seen many bench videos where the benchers push the weight up and towards the face.