PDA

View Full Version : Do you need carbs in your diet?

gav2006
09-03-2006, 08:44 AM
I have seen people talk about having alot of carbs in your diet but then others say eat low carb meals?
I'm confused whthr I need carbs or not in my diet.
Please help.

drew
09-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Yes, you do. They should come from vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.

gav2006
09-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for that, so what about pasta, potatos etc.?

bender73
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM

sure why not? as long as you burn more than you take in. its that simple. i'm sure others will disagree with me though. :)

kad
09-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Please read the stickies, and this (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565) thread especially. Welcome to the boards.

Holto
09-03-2006, 01:12 PM

If the pasta is wholegrain.

Poatoes are vegetables. Very filling and cost effective when it comes to calories.

arya202
09-03-2006, 01:16 PM
You couldn't type this right now without carbs.

Unreal
09-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Search. Slim, Jordan, Built and many others have have long debates on this. Carbs are a NON-essential macro. Do you NEED them to survive, no. Are they helpful in training/energy and body functions, yes.

kad
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I do? :scratch:

edit: Maybe you meant the other Jordan. :)

Beast
09-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Yep, carbohydrates are the only macronutrient that are not required by the body.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-03-2006, 03:35 PM
They are required. That's why your body has to convert protein into glucose through gluconeogenesis if your body is lacking them. If they were not required, your body would not have to do this process.

Unreal
09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I do? :scratch:

edit: Maybe you meant the other Jordan. :)

Meant JBC.

TheGimp
09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Required for life: no.

Required for optimal bodybuilding: yes.

dissipate
09-03-2006, 11:38 PM
gimp, i think carbs are required for life.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4814314.stm

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
You couldn't type this right now without carbs.
Not true

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 01:23 AM

That article is not really good for use to prove that carbs are required for life.

Also, Gimp's answer was right, as was Unreal's.

Slim Schaedle
09-04-2006, 01:25 AM
They are required. That's why your body has to convert protein into glucose through gluconeogenesis if your body is lacking them. If they were not required, your body would not have to do this process.
Fatty acid oxidation produces ATP (actually, more of it than by use of carbs...hence, the whole higher calorie thingamagig) (Fatty acids are more reduced than carbs (higher number of hydrogens) so it undergoes a greater extent of oxidation)

Of course this is assuming there is fatty acid intake or available adipose tissue, which is most likely the case in pretty much everyone.

Gluconeogenesis is not the only process other than excluding glycolysis that does.

Carbs are not required.

Basing the essentiality of a macronutrient on the existence of a metabolic pathway probably isnt the best thing to do.

Additionally, gluconeogensis is used for the production of glucose from lactate, pyruvate, and glycerol, ...not just amino acids. Everytime you do a set where there is a build up of lactic acid, gluconeogenesis kicks in.

TheGimp
09-04-2006, 03:34 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4814314.stm

There is a subtle distinction to be made. Atkins is not just a low carb diet, it is a ketogenic diet. You can avoid ketosis on a low/no carb diet by eating adequate amounts of protein thanks to gluconeogenesis like these guys have mentioned.

dissipate
09-04-2006, 06:59 AM
There is a subtle distinction to be made. Atkins is not just a low carb diet, it is a ketogenic diet. You can avoid ketosis on a low/no carb diet by eating adequate amounts of protein thanks to gluconeogenesis like these guys have mentioned.

oh ok. thanks for explaining that to me gimp!

Pup
09-04-2006, 07:23 AM

*before i say anything else, i will assume that you are not an evangelical christian and won't swear at me for discussing evolutionary adaptation, if not, i apologize in advance*

Slim covered a good bit in his part on not using a specific metabolic pathway to analyze the necessity of a macronutrient group, but i'd like to go a bit further.

From an evolutionary standpoint, the body will adapt and develop processes to elicit energy needs from a variety of sources. As already stated, fatty acids can do a good bit to provide ATP conversion. A process like gluconeogenesis most likely (i say most because most nutritional anthropologists can never agree completely on any issue) developed out of a fast/feast lifestyle lived by nomadic peoples several thousand years ago...if you aren't eating, its simple to pull some aminos from skeletal muscle to sustain energy systems...survival, not aesthetics being the primary focus of evolutionary adaptation.

Consider some of the climates in which people have survived. Many seaside peoples eat mostly meat (eskimos anyone) and fat, with very few veggies. The carb content of this diet is negligible, but the conversion of ATP from FFAs is substantial. The human body just hasn't changed that much in the last 10,000 years, we didn't suddenly start needing 300g of CHO a day to survive in the last 100 years.

the doc
09-04-2006, 08:57 AM
ingestion of dietary carbohydrate is not a prerequisite for life. period.