PDA

View Full Version : Snatch/Clean Grip Deads.....?

jampsifit
09-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey what up people? just wondering, is there any negatives about this variation? And has anyone tried it? thanx in advance...

erik-the-red
09-06-2006, 06:57 AM
I always deadlift with a clean hook grip.

I have never deadlifted with a snatch hook grip, but I think Alwyn Cosgrove recommends it as a non-curl exercise that builds the biceps (among other muscles).

erik-the-red
09-08-2006, 04:12 PM
I tried snatch hook grip deadlifts today, and wow, it was a lot tougher than I expected.

khari
09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
If you are Oly lifting, clean deadlifts offer more than snatch grip deadlifts. Clean and snatch pulls are better than either, which is why I don't deadlift at all (except RDLs).

If you aren't competing in OL, they are both excellent exercises. Not enough people deadlift with the snatch grip.

jampsifit
09-09-2006, 01:39 AM
naww i don't Oly lift. I've been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that wide grip shrugs hit the traps a lot better than the regular so i figured if i deadlifted this way then it'd do a lot for the traps.....also read a couple sources saying rack pulls hit the upper back (traps) a lot more than the lower (posterior chain). So basically im gonna combine those two ideas and do Snatch Rack Pulls.......But yeah erik its a lil tougher. Right now im starting light to get into the movement, and once i get that down im gonna start racking up the weight!

p.s. ohh and another reason why im doing it from a rack is because i have a sticking part around that area....usually its always that part where i can't budge it so im gonna work it from there....

deeder
09-09-2006, 07:27 AM
naww i don't Oly lift. I've been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that wide grip shrugs hit the traps a lot better than the regular so i figured if i deadlifted this way then it'd do a lot for the traps.....also read a couple sources saying rack pulls hit the upper back (traps) a lot more than the lower (posterior chain). So basically im gonna combine those two ideas and do Snatch Rack Pulls.......But yeah erik its a lil tougher. Right now im starting light to get into the movement, and once i get that down im gonna start racking up the weight!

p.s. ohh and another reason why im doing it from a rack is because i have a sticking part around that area....usually its always that part where i can't budge it so im gonna work it from there....

Never heard that wide grip shrugs would hit the trap any better? Do you have a link to an article or something? It'd be interesting to see why it works.

I wouldn't exactly say that rack pulls work your upper back moreso than your lower back. I know that my upper back gets sore after rack pulls but I also know that they fry my lower back for a few days. I think it's just because people generally use alot more weight doing rack pulls -- something their upper backs aren't used to which is why you would get sore.

jampsifit
09-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Have u heard of the book called, "Kelso's Shrug Book"?

But yeah i know doing out of the rack will work the lower as well but i just think it'd hit the upper a lil more since there is a decrease in the movement path. Also the more stretch you have (like in stiff legs off a box) the more it activates or hits the lower (posterior chain), so thats why i think the rack pulls would work the upper a lil more than the lower.