PDA

View Full Version : JDN MUST GET BIG!! Please critique!!

JDN
09-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey. I'm new to posting, but have been reading threads for a long time. I thought I'd take some pics and see what you guys think I should work on to have a better physique. Maybe I could get Built or someone else to help me with a routine. What I have is from a few years of hod carrying and somewhat serious lifting, but I've got the time and desire to take it serious now. Check out my pics, comment, suggest, or just do what you do. Anything is appreciated.

Goals:

I would like to put on some serious mass. I'm at about 190 right now. 205-210 is about all I want to weigh. You guys think that'd be that noticeable? I'm 6'3" btw.

I'm benching about 225 right now, and squating about 330. I never do deadlift or power clean.

Strength, and size is what I'm going for. I want a sexier physique for myself and my girl. Anything you guys can do to help me get there would be awesome. Thanks.

Josh

http://i7.tinypic.com/287or68.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/287ou9j.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/287p5qp.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/287p7d3.jpg

kad
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
This should go in the member's pics and videos forum.

You have plenty of room to grow everywhere, eat up man! Start deadlifting too!

Check out the WBB routines and the BGB routine (Built's routine). They're all great routines.

Built
09-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Body has a nice shape to start with, and some really good muscle on it as a base. Leggies are very nice - love the quads. Great shape to begin with, nice size there already - and I totally know how hard it is to fill in loooong legs and arms.

Deads will bring up your back and your traps. Cleans will bring up your traps and your forearms.

Diet will add more mass, get eating!

What split are you using?

JDN
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
How many cals do you think I need to take in a day? I know I don't eat enough. I do eat 5-6 times a day though like I should. I'm on a meal plan at school so it's hard to get in enough food to really grow. Should I sacrifice healthier foods for more calorie dense foods? It seems like that's ok as long as I get enough protein.

Nosaj
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Start doing deads.

Built
09-10-2006, 05:34 PM
JDN - do you have access to a blender? If so, grind up a bunch of oats into a powder, get some protein powder (Nitrean is a good choice), dextrose (sold cheap at any u-brew) and some olive oil and some natural peanut butter. Voila - you can now make up the best weight-gainer shakes in the world.

Nosaj
09-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah Built, get the kid used to shakes then he'll one day realize how much food that is in whole food, and he'll be screwed like I was!!! Hehe. :)

I'm j/k JDN, shake it up, easy cals bro!!!! :strong:

JDN
09-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok. I need to deads huh? I've always avoided them because they were my weakest lift and I never felt like I was doing them right. Should I do any weak point training to help my big lifts sq/bp/pc/dl? I've had a lot of trouble putting together a decent routine. If someone has the time and knowledge to put together a routine for me that'd I'd really owe them one. WBB1 maybe? I really want my stomache to become a little wider. What suggestions for hitting all of those muscles? I already do I think they're called side bends, and situps to hit my obliques. BUILT- at 190 lbs what would you say I should start off aiming at to bulk calorie wise? I've used several calculators and equations and I've come up with a range of 3400-4300ish. If nobody can realy tell me I'll probably just hit the middle. I'm just trying to avoid gaining a lot of extra fat. I'm ok with a slow bulk. Any help anybody can offer is so appreciated. Just think of it as doing your good deed for the day. :) lol

Nosaj
09-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Ok. I need to deads huh? I've always avoided them because they were my weakest lift and I never felt like I was doing them right. Should I do any weak point training to help my big lifts sq/bp/pc/dl? I've had a lot of trouble putting together a decent routine. If someone has the time and knowledge to put together a routine for me that'd I'd really owe them one. WBB1 maybe? I really want my stomache to become a little wider. What suggestions for hitting all of those muscles? I already do I think they're called side bends, and situps to hit my obliques. BUILT- at 190 lbs what would you say I should start off aiming at to bulk calorie wise? I've used several calculators and equations and I've come up with a range of 3400-4300ish. If nobody can realy tell me I'll probably just hit the middle. I'm just trying to avoid gaining a lot of extra fat. I'm ok with a slow bulk. Any help anybody can offer is so appreciated. Just think of it as doing your good deed for the day. :) lol

Bro, f**k calculators. Write down what you eat, enter it into www.fitday.com. If you're gaining weight already, stick with it. If you're not gaining weight (i.e. you're at is called maintenance calories, the amount of calories you need to maintain your current weight) then up it by 15-20%. You will gain weight. 6+ meals a day every 3 hours to maximize metabolism and ensure a macronutrient balance. WBB#1 is a great routine, or you can do Built's BGB routine (it's in her sig, or info) which I think you could use. Your back could use the most work out of anything, chest/arms and legs look pretty solid. As for a wider midsection, I definitely noticed larger obliques after doing the weighted oblique machine (two hand grips, grab with your legs and twist, weight goes up to 190 or so). Best of luck, keep asking questions, and keep at it. Start fitday TODAY, diet is key to all of your goals.

Built
09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
You're just going to have to suck it up, buttercup, and track your current calories for a week. If you're not currently gaining, add 500 to your daily total and start from there. If you gain too fast, you'll gain too much fat. At this point you're not a newbie, so I'd suggest starting with 5 lbs a month as a goal for the first couple months. Keep track of your gains and pay attention to how you look. Make adjustments accordingly.

Deads and cleans are awesome!

Have you read this (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255), JDN?

JDN
09-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah hell with calcs. They're so off. I'd really like to develop my back as well as my chest to fill out my shirts ya know what I mean? Should I be hitting my back more often than once maybe twice a week or just kick the sh*t out of it when I do hit my back?

Built
09-10-2006, 05:54 PM
JDN - I gave you a link. Did you read it?

JDN
09-10-2006, 05:56 PM
It's not working. URL?

Nosaj
09-10-2006, 05:57 PM
When Built say's "Have you read/done this?" what she really means is "DO THIS NOW OR I'LL EAT YOUR HEART WITH A GLASS OF MILK!" so I'd listen to her, she is very wise. :)

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255

JDN
09-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Nosaj- lol 18 posts and I've already learned this.

Built
09-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Have you read this (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=255), JDN?

Works fine.

I just tried it.

JDN
09-10-2006, 06:02 PM
I've read this built, but I'll read it again.

What do you think about HIIT cardio a few days a week in the morning?

Nosaj
09-10-2006, 06:18 PM
HIIT never hurt anyone, esp. if it's with your gf ;), just keep in mind you'll need to replace those cals.

JDN
09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
haha right on nosaj. i've read doing hiit in the morning burns fat more than anything else you can do. is that right or should i lay off heavy cardio until i get somethin to really burn off?

Ron Burgundy
09-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Body has a nice shape to start with, and some really good muscle on it as a base. Leggies are very nice - love the quads. Great shape to begin with, nice size there already - and I totally know how hard it is to fill in loooong legs and arms.

Deads will bring up your back and your traps. Cleans will bring up your traps and your forearms.

Diet will add more mass, get eating!

What split are you using?

Yepp that's what I was ganna say great starting body you can go places man!

Built
09-10-2006, 06:48 PM
HIIT first thing in the AM is unpleasant if you haven't eaten yet. Feed HIIT like a lifting workout.

JDN
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks Ron. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning Built. I'm going to try HIIT with just a little bit in my stomach. I'll have pics up in a few weeks to show progress. These pics were taken about a week ago. I'm gonna do this, and big.

JDN
09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
HIIT kicked my ass this morning. Built, I'm going to do your BGB workout. It looks very solid. I think I can get a lot out of it!

JDN
09-13-2006, 07:45 PM
i've been eating at about 3500 cals a day. do you guys think that's enough to bulk up?

Invain
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
It depends on the person, but I'd say no, since you weigh 190. I'm about 185 lbs, and with 3500 calories I'm barely gaining each week.