PDA

View Full Version : When to lift equipped?

Chubrock
09-04-2006, 08:42 PM
I obviously have a long way to go in my training, but this question has been on my mind lately. As it stands now, I plan to compete in full PL at either 155lbs or make the drop to the 148lbs class. I just hit 225 on 1 board presses. I was wondering what type of numbers I should try to put up raw before working on using equipment. I've been thinking that I'd buy my first bench shirt once I could raw press 250 for 1, but I wanted to talk with everybody up here first and get some opinions. Thoughts?

Jinkies
09-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Do some research on equipment and make sure you have a clear understanding, try to find someone who can explain it to you( a veteren powerlifter if able)

Honestly though a bench suit should be your least concern from your squat numbers. Last year I saw a 155 pound guy squat 525 which was pretty good for highschool and that just blows your numbers out of the water. Wouldn't hurt to try a few competitions just so you can get the experience and understand what your up against. At 250 bp you should give it a try, see how it goes and maybe do a few raw training sessions.

Chubrock
09-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I definitely know what I'm up against, and I also realize I have a long way to go, but at the same time, that doesn't mean I can't get an understanding of where I should be raw wise to start looking at equipment. I know quite a few of the PLers on this board, while they destroy me, didn't have world class numbers before looking at equipment.

Sidior
09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
I would say go equipped when you know what works for your body and how to train. Adding equipment makes it even more confusing, so when you feel comfortable with the basics give it a shot if you are so inclined. This may happen with a total of 1000 or a total of 1500.

Chubrock
09-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Yea I definitely agree it wil lbe different from person to person. I suppose I was just looking from input from people who have lifted both raw and equipped about when they made the switch, or started training both.

Sidior
09-05-2006, 10:54 AM
In that case I would suggest sending PMs to Drew, Homeyield or body.

Sensei
09-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd wait until I could squat/deadlift 2x bodyweight and bench press 1.25x bodyweight. It depends on the person though and a heavier lifter might start using equipment earlier.

It also depends on how extreme you are going to go with equipment. There are bench press shirts and suits that don't give you a whole lot in the way of poundages (for example the Inzer Blast Shirt and the Inzer Champion) - anyone could start with those at just about any strength level if they wanted.

Sidior
09-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I'd wait until I could squat/deadlift 2x bodyweight and bench press 1.25x bodyweight. It depends on the person though and a heavier lifter might start using equipment earlier.

It also depends on how extreme you are going to go with equipment. There are bench press shirts and suits that don't give you a whole lot in the way of poundages (for example the Inzer Blast Shirt and the Inzer Champion) - anyone could start with those at just about any strength level if they wanted.

Sensei I know nothing about lifting equipped, but why would one want to use a Inzer Blast or a Champion if they got nothing from them?

Sensei
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Just to get a little support and get a feel for equipment. A Blast shirt gave me exactly 0 pounds and the Champion gave me, at the very best, 20-30lbs.

Sidior
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Just to get a little support and get a feel for equipment. A Blast shirt gave me exactly 0 pounds and the Champion gave me, at the very best, 20-30lbs.

So Im presuming they are also cheaper than better equipment which actually works?

KevinStarke
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Personally I would wait until you can bench 2x your body weight, squat2.5/2.75x your bodyweight and deadlift 3x all raw before you start using gear. Or just dont use gear at all, i've given it up.

Sensei
09-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Personally I would wait until you can bench 2x your body weight, squat2.5/2.75x your bodyweight and deadlift 3x all raw before you start using gear. Or just dont use gear at all, i've given it up.
Kevin,
Some people will NEVER achieve those numbers unequipped.

Jinkies
09-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Id wait until your beating last years records raw then go in equipted and take the cake

drew
09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I've been using the Inzer blast for a few months and it's done a lot for me. My best unequipped bench is 260 (though I've come close with 275) and I just pressed 315 with the Blast. It's easy to get on and easy to learn. I would recommend it as a first shirt to anyone who wants to learn how to use a poly shirt. I also feel the bench shirt has helped me learn to handle heavier weight, and has overall made me stronger on the bench. Check out Metal Milita for some articles and good tips on putting on, setting, and using a bench shirt.

I still have no clue what I'm doing with a squat suit. Unfortunately, all the injuries have prevented me from squatting heavy for about 7 weeks now so I haven't been able to do any suit work. I would take advice from Sensei, Chris Rogers, and any of the AtLarge guys when it comes to suits.

DL suits are still developing, though I hear good things about the Metal line and have seen a few guys using the Inzer Z-suit as a DLer (though you'll see better results with a sumo stance).

I think given your level of physical preparedness along with the lifts you've achieved at your weight, you would benefit from some gear. Single ply poly shirt (like a Blast) and suit would be a good start.

Guido
09-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I started using gear almost as soon as I started PL'ing. My bench max was about 235 when is started and I started using a Titan F-6 and was putting approximately 315 almost right away. Now I bench 280 raw and 385-390 in a shirt. As long as you continue to train raw as well as in the shirt you will continue to get stronger in both. Same with DL and squat suits. There's no reason you can't learn how to use the equipment right away. For the DL, I wouldn't expect to get that much out of it (I get maybe 15 lbs), but for squatting, some guys can get 100-200lbs easy with suit and wraps. Once you learn the equipment, you'll be able to get more out of it, and you should soon be on a level playing field with the other guys in your class at meets.

JustinASU
09-06-2006, 11:08 AM

For me to use these numbers as a guideline I would have to total 1800 which is either master or elite (for my weight class) RAW before I touched equipment. That's a bit nuts, bro.