PDA

View Full Version : Another Losing fat and Gaining Muscle Thread

Perplex
09-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Okay, So I guess to do what it says in the Title, you must be in a Anabolic and a Catabolic state at the same time...which I hear is hard to do.

But I understand that It is very possible to maintain what muscle I already have, WHILE losing fat....

and by reading previous posts by people, this is done through keeping my Protien take HIGH, and keeping fat low

1.5 g/lb of protien and .5 fat/lb

so if I weigh 180, that is 270 grams of protien a day?, and 90 g of fat a day?
Is fat a necessity in maintaining my muscle mass?
why can't I cut out the fat altogether?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 12:47 AM
1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of LBM, not body weight. You should be shooting for at least 180 grams of protein.

Fat is essential to your body. You die without it. Make the bulk of your fat come from essential fatty acid sources like natural peanut butter, olive oil, fatty fish, nuts, etc...

If you're meeting your protein and fat requirements, the rest of your calories can come from fat, protein, and carbs...whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Nowhere have I read that you maintain your current muscle mass by keeping your fat intake low. That's not what you want to do. Fat doesn't make you fat. Meet the requirements for fat intake.

Also, read the stickies.

Built
09-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Reduce overall calories 10-20% below maintenance. Keep fat as high as your calories afford, no lower than half a gram per pound LBM. Carbs near your lifting as required. Lift heavy, lower volume/shorter rep range than on a bulk. Add in minimal cardio as you can't bear to drop calories further.

TheGimp
09-06-2006, 03:03 AM

Why would you want to?

Perplex
09-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow, I guess I thought fat would just add to the fat on my body already. Guess I was wrong!

So okay I think I got it now, 1.5g/lb LBM protien , and .5 fat/lb LBM, and keep the carbs near my workout........keep fats coming from essential fatty acid sources, and do minimal cardio to keep muscle depletion as low as possible

I also read that you must increase the frequency of working out, working muscle groups at least twice or three times a week so I can maintain muscle? is that true?

Built
09-06-2006, 12:53 PM
My feeling is that small heavy hits are likely the best approach on a cut - you're basically reminding the muscle why it needs to stick around: because you frequently need it to lift heavy things, however briefly.

Perplex
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
ooh ooh! so i gotta stick to small reps of heavy stuff alot right?!

like 5X5 heavy?

galileo
09-07-2006, 09:58 AM
5x5 is a solid approach, yes.

"Okay, So I guess to do what it says in the Title, you must be in a Anabolic and a Catabolic state at the same time...which I hear is hard to do."

I've been successful in achieving this over short periods of time, where I controlled for water as much as I possibly could. It's a genetics thing, in my opinion, but I think it could be accomplished through a very stringent plan, but it would be a very slow plan. I personally have been on a cut, lost maybe 1 lb by scale, and ended up with about 10lbs of fat loss according to caliper measurements. My first few cuts didn't accomplish this, but as I got more tuned to things that worked for me (carb cycling, ud2, and so on) I found the right mixture, which caused this reaction at least three times now. It's a shame I've not found the same for my own bulking purposes.

One approach:
1. Lift heavy
2. Eat close to maintenance, with ample protein and fat (See Scarz's post)
3. Perform HIIT (sprints) 3-4x a week to create a deficit, but promote nutrient partitioning.
4. Employ a solid pre/mid/post-workout and pre/post-HIIT nutitrion routine.

Easy? No. Fun? Depends. But if you can figure yourself out enough to get it right, then you are set.

Holto
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM

Because you would die without fat. It is an essential nutrient.