PDA

View Full Version : deadlift form

LoneJeeper
09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
hey all,

i've been reading (bored) all day... and i've caught a few instances where folks talk about shin scarring and bleeding from the bar rubbing them from deadlifting. I do not get any sort of shin wounds. I deadlift moderately, once a week, and can't remember a single instance of shin 'rubbination'.
I check my form in the mirror and from what i remember to what I see on Exrx and other vids, i look pretty good.

what should I check for to be certain of my form? you know i don't want to be missing out on gnarly scars from weightlifting. my armpits already look like i've been attacked by grizzlies.

kd

JustinASU
09-06-2006, 01:43 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deadlift_with_style.htm

Read that.

TommyBoy
09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Keep the bar glued to your legs the entire length of the lift. As soon as the bar gets away from your body, that's where the majority of back injuries happen. Other than that, just keep your back arched and remember that from the floor to the knees is a lot of leg; the back works the majority of the lift once you get it over your knees.

LoneJeeper
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/deadlift_with_style.htm

Read that.
sweet.

I do deadlift with more of a straight leg approach and drive with my hips. Perhaps i should try a few with a concentrated 'squat' mindset.

kd

LoneJeeper
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Keep the bar glued to your legs the entire length of the lift. As soon as the bar gets away from your body, that's where the majority of back injuries happen. Other than that, just keep your back arched and remember that from the floor to the knees is a lot of leg; the back works the majority of the lift once you get it over your knees.
yeah, i'd love to get more 'leg' into it. it makes my lower back tired first to do it the way i've been going at it.

kd

drew
09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I start the bar in front of my legs and pull back. If I start it at my shin and scrape up, I'll never get my shoulders forward and I'll end up having to pull out and over the knee. Your deadlift form should match your body type.

North
09-07-2006, 05:17 AM
That's what would happen for me, I don't know how i could possibly scrape my shins unless i got stuck somewhere

Detard
09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
i recently started deadlifting more consistant and my shins are all red and bruised. good conditoinging for MT though.

LoneJeeper
09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
so I deadlifted today, concentrated on keeping the form very strict and the bar close to my body. I didn't like it. I think that since my trunk and femurs are long the balance is off.

kd

Westsidemonster
09-10-2006, 03:02 AM
In my opinion, form has to do with your bodytype, your bone structure and your strength. I believe having the bar near my shins, but not too near to the point that it would actually scrape the skin! To me that's pointless! Think about it, the bar is getting stuck to your shins, causing friction, making it harder to lift the weight, I just don't believe in that type of lifting. I have the bar about an inch from my shin bone, look up and keeping my back straight, I lift the weight using my legs, I believe in sitting down, keeping your center of gravity low in the beggining of the lift, and I believe in ''exploding'' with the weight, I mean, you grab the bar, you look up, and boom, you go up, and you don't give up, you fight the sticking point. Good luck...;)