PDA

View Full Version : Does more protein equal more hypertrophy?

JConrad
09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I know this sounds like a stupid question but let me explain what I mean.
I weight 156 lbs (approx. 145 lbs lean) and I'm on the BGB routine. I take in 150 grams of protein a day and I'm making good strength gains.
Because I am able to use progressively heavier weights each workout then I know I'm taking in enough protein to repair my muscles and make them stronger, but I'm wondering, if I took in more protein would my muscles be even bigger and stronger when they are repaired, or would extra protein be redundant?
Thanks.

ancom41
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I've wondered the same thing. Cause on these boards all i've heard is to get 1g protein per LBM, where elsewhere i've heard up to 3g per LBM. Any benifit?

ddegroff
09-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Your body will use as much protein as it needs. Once that has been met, the rest is converted to energy.

Most og the time you see 2g of protein mentioned they are doing it for the extra cals.

djreef
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
You can eat too much protein. Any that your body doesn't use for 'building' purposes use gets turned into glucose. I read a study form the mid 70's that indicated somewhere around 50% unused goes to this purpose, assuming that all of your other macro requirements are being fulfilled. So, in a nutshell, you have to figure out how much protein you need, so that excess doesn't go to fat storage. That means tracking your macros.

DJ

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
So, in a nutshell, you have to figure out how much protein you need, so that excess doesn't go to fat storage.What on earth are you talking about? Excess calories of any macronutrient will lead to fat gain. Not just protein.

djreef
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I said that they wouldn't.

DJ

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 03:27 PM
You're making it seem as though excess protein will magically lead to fat storage when any macronutrient will do that.

djreef
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
assuming that all of your other macro requirements are being fulfilled.

I think that was the part you missed. An excess of any macro, or combination of macros can lead to fat deposition given the total exceeds energy expenditure.

malkore
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
scarz,

I think djreef's primary point was taht excess protein that leads to excess calories WILL store as fat. a lot of misinformed people think that protein is a magic food that only makes muscle.

sure it came out a little wrong, but I think it was just due to trying to drive the above point home.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Protein has a million functions in the body. Of course it doesn't only make muscle.

I think that was the part you missed. An excess of any macro, or combination of macros can lead to fat deposition given the total exceeds energy expenditure.My bad. :)

JConrad
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
So what your saying is that the only way for me to find out if I am taking too much protein is to take gradually more and more until I notice that my bodyfat is starting to increase?
On the flip side, what would be the tell-tale signs of not getting enough protein?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 09:19 PM
So what your saying is that the only way for me to find out if I am taking too much protein is to take gradually more and more until I notice that my bodyfat is starting to increase?No. Just meet your caloric goals and keep lifting.

SwoleSam
09-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Why can't the body get rid of excess protein as waste? Excess protein HAS to be stored as fat?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
No, it doesn't.

galileo
09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Why can't the body get rid of excess protein as waste? Excess protein HAS to be stored as fat?

Technically, the amino acids are quite often converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis. Sustained levels of excess glucose in the blood will lead to the synthesis of fat (pyruvate -> acetyl CoA -> triglycerides, if I recall correctly).

There's probably a portion that's excreted, but to answer the question of "why," the answer is simply "because." That's like asking why can't the sun be cold.

Holto
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Why can't the body get rid of excess protein as waste?

The body does everythign for the same reason. Survival. We store fat for times of famine. In NA this doesn't happen unless you are cutting.

SwoleSam
09-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Technically, the amino acids are quite often converted to glucose through gluconeogenesis. Sustained levels of excess glucose in the blood will lead to the synthesis of fat (pyruvate -> acetyl CoA -> triglycerides, if I recall correctly).

There's probably a portion that's excreted, but to answer the question of "why," the answer is simply "because." That's like asking why can't the sun be cold.

Damn that sucks